Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe repair in London?

matei

One Too Many
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good place for shoe repair in London? I've worn holes in the leather soles of several of my fave pairs, yet I'm loathe to entrust them to gorilla at the local "heel bar".

Trickers (the maker of the shoes) offers a "rebuilding" service at almost £100 per pair - however I don't think my shoes require this yet.

matei

One Too Many
Hiya Doc - many thanks for that link. Have you tried them yourself?

Re. the good Senator's party - I might have to go to Edinburgh, so I've been waiting to see how events unfold and for the "powers that be" to make up their collective mind. shakeshead

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Do pass my compliments to The Powers That Be, and I hope she'll be able to join us as well. ;)

I haven't used them yet, but I'll be dropping in a pair of my own Tricker's for resoling at some point before Monday. At the same time I'll be getting them to rebuild the soles of a pair of boots to eliminate a squeaky shank. They've been good on the phone - very knowledgeable when talking about the boots, and the reviews (and client list) make them seem like the right chaps for the job.

If you can hold off for a week I'll drop mine in and let you know how it goes.

matei

One Too Many
Sounds like a plan - do let us know how it works out!

My particular reference to the "powers that be" was my esteemed employer, rather than Mrs. Matei.

Surely I'd not have to wait around for her to make up her mind, for she is a decisive and efficient woman! :)

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
That she is, as well as being intelligent, charming and beautiful to boot! But I ever could resist an obvious gag...

Expect a report full of cobblers as events occur.

matei

One Too Many
It turns out that I'll be in London after all when Senator Jack & Matt visit the Big Smoke, so I'll see you there!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Meanwhile, back at the topic...

I can now vouch for the work at KG.

My Tricker's monks look like new. The heels match the type that Tricker uses, while the sole has been stained much darker than the original (not that it worries me, but it might you). The stitching is absolutely flawless: tight and perfectly inside the groove. As good as Tricker's, if not better.

Price was about what you'd expect for the shoes: new heel and full leather sole for £50. In comparison the place much nearer home (who I have sworn will never touch another pair of my shoes again, something I should have twigged when the erk behind the counter seemed surprised at my request for full leather soles) charged me £45 for the same job on my last visit. Given the quality of the work, I consider this very good value for money.

At the same time, I asked them to fix the squeak in my 1936 pattern flying boots, and that's a lovely (and now silent) job as well. The boots I was charged eight pounds for, on the grounds that it was a "simple job," but the simple job actually turned out to be disassembling and rebuilding the whole sole!

Finally, chatting with George (who runs the place) ended up with a tip about a shoe shop that's apparently well worth a look - complete with "Don't talk to anyone but the boss, and tell him I sent you." When I've given it a decent once-over in I shall report on that, too.

In short, these chaps are going to be fixing my footwear from now on.

mkd

New in Town
Upon this recommendation, I took my vintage Henry Maxwells to KG. Excellent workmanship, and I too will go there again! (I was going to upload a photo but it won't let me).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe