Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt Pocket Placement

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
It seems that no matter how good a shirt fits me, the pocket is always too low. The pockets top is always around the bottom of my pectoral (sp?) muscle. Seems like they should sit up higher on the chest. How is a vintage pocket placed?

Chad

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Chad: If memory serves me correctly the pockets on a vintage button down shirt were fairly low compaired to today. Either Daniel Riser or Matt D. could answer this more adequitly.

Cheers!

Dan

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Not something I've really looked at, though I am trying to find out more. In the 20's and 30's there weren't as many dress shirts with pockets as men used their vests. In the 40's vests went out with the wool used for the war and more companies added pockets.

modern \/
15252849.jpg

Hmmm... Measuring the vintage work shirt I have on, I find that the pockets are three and a half inches down from the end of the buttoned colar point. It might be different for work shirts though.
The pocket on the shirt pictured by Matt is probably placed about six inches or more down from the colar. Measuring that on my shirt it would place it too far down on the shirt and about where you mentioned Chad.
I never really noticed on my regular dress shirts. I'll have to check them when I get home.

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rand S