Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt Patterns...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Hello all!

I have been searching for, quite unsucessfully, a mens shirt pattern from the 1930's or 1940's. Just the basic two pocket type that can be used for dress, work or flannel shirts. I have a good sewing machine at home that I can make these shirts with but no pattern yet. I've tried e-bay with no success thus far since my size is a 17x36 (around a size 46) and vintage patterns in that size are hard to locate. Does anyone have a good resource for either vintage patterns or reproduction patterns of the vintage ilk other than the typical old west patterns? I would like to round out some of my wardrobe with vintage style shirts for different occasions.
I appreciate anybodys help with this little quest.

Cheers!

Dan

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I have a few from eBay.
The most important is to find the patterns. Size is tricky though.
Grading a pattern is not so simple for the uninitiated. If you plan to make the shirts yourself, the right size would definitely be a plus. If you were getting them tailored- that would be easier-

B
T

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well, I have a Genome 10000 model sewing machine that I inherited from my mother when she passed and I think it's high time that I make use of it. I have some decent sewing skills but with this machine a complete novice can sew. I know it would be easier to have a taylor put together a shirt or two, but I prefer to do it hands on.
You're right though, the size thing in vintage patterns is a tricky thing indeed. Better to find a large pattern and resize it down. But it seems most of what is out there that hasn't been used is the small & medium sizes. Sort of like tryoing to find a vintage WWII wool inlisted mans infantry shirt over a size 38R. Few and far between.

Cheers!

Dan

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Men's shirt pattern

Now, admittedly I know NOTHING about this subject, but what would be wrong with finding a vintage shirt in the size you mentioned (17 x 36) and deconstructing (reverse engineering) it? I recently purchased a number of uniform pieces from a West Point veteran who graduated in 1945. Picked up two pair of OD No. 51 (greens) pants; one pair of the OD. No (pinks); a tropical wool summer Class A uniform; and THREE unworn, still pinned khaki broadcloth shirts in a size 16.5 x 35. Unfortunately, the three shirts are a tad too small (I'm a 17.5 x 35.5) so I am going to resell them.

In any case, why couldn't you just take a vintage shirt apart and make up a pattern from the pieces? Isn't THAT a valid approach?

PS: I have just located a source of vintage WWII chocolate elastique fabric and will be getting a sample in the next few days. Although it's a little pricey (okay VERY pricey) at $35 per yard, it is from the period. Will share the details when I have it in hand.

ZF

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
ZF: Nothing wrong with reverse engineering a shirt. :cool: But the pattern was only $8. Couldn't go wrong there. I usually have a hard time finding a good vintage shirt in my size anyway. So, I figure I can make it if I have a pattern. Would love to find your resource on line for reasonable vintage shirts if you have any. :)

Cheers!

Dan

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Coming to the same conclusion as you >> Make it or have it made!

With a few exceptions -- like the West Point three-time all-American who wore my uniforms for a few months before the U.S. Army changed styles -- finding things in *big guy* size is next to impossible. Will keep my eyes open for things, but I must admit that nearly all of my interest at the moment (my wife would say OBSESSION) is on the USAAF uniforms.

ZF

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Good luck with that. I have a few items from the USAAF 8th. They were my uncles things and he's a small fry. Have you tried the reproductions over at whatpriceglory.com? His stuff looks pretty good. I've been trying to find a U.S. Army wool over coat like my father had. He had given it to me in high school and I wore it everywhere in the winter. The greatest coat ever created. Unfortunately I had grown out of it and haven't been able to find one in a 48 yet. Whatpriceglory.com has one for $200 that I may invest in.

Cheers!

Dan

swankysister

New in Town
Zemke Fan said:
In any case, why couldn't you just take a vintage shirt apart and make up a pattern from the pieces? Isn't THAT a valid approach?
ZF

The US based Threads magazine for August/September had an article on how to copy existing clothing without unstitching, but using masking tape to copy pieces. A preview of the article may help you decide whether you want to order a back copy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe