Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt article

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I just read an article in a Departures magazine that was sent to me. Most of the mag was not of interest but the article on dress shirts caught me eye. It was called A Great White. It was a search for the perfect white dress shirt.

The companies reviewed were Charvet, Prada, Helmut Lang, Brooks Brothers, Banna Republic, Ralph Lauren and Jil Sander.

I couldn't believe the price of the shirts. They ranged from $225-$370! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Only Banna Republic was anywhere near my ball park at $68.

How good can a shirt be? If these $300 shirts are that good, why doesn't the guys who sell shirts for $20-30 just copy the cut?

I don't get it.:confused:

Jsoftz

New in Town
I don't understand what makes shirts like that so expensive. What are the things that make a shirt good and what styles were prevalent in the 30's and 40's?

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
I find more often then not that what makes clothing so expensive these days is not the quality so much as it is what designer's name is on the tag.
PBG

Odysseus

New in Town
I don't know if the article mentioned whether these shirts were off the rack, but many high end shirts are tailor made much as a suit would be. Could this be the case?

kent

New in Town
I think they'd have to be bulletproof and wrinkleproof for me to pay $370 for it. If not, it better iron itself and repel spaghetti sauce. It never fails, you'll wear a white shirt when you eat something with marinara.

There's also the point of the only name I want on a suit is mine, and/or the talor who made it.

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
It probably has to do with the combination of fabric quality, workmanship, and name. I have many Polo oxford shirts that usually run $55 - $65 a piece that have worn better than cheaper shirts. Some look just as good now as when I bought them four or five years ago. But, $300? Were these shirts custom made or even custom fitted? I don't think I've ever seen a dress shirt cost more than $150 (except a custom fitted and that was only $175).

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
I'll get kicked for saying this:

Someone?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s going to kick me in the fanny for writing this?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ but right now I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m wearing the best shirt I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve ever owned in over?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ you got the picture.

It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s the L.L. Bean Chamois shirt. It has no special cut, it has no special fabric other then the usual L.L. Bean chamois clothe and it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s under 40 bucks. I have THREE of them and 9 months out of the year when I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m not at work they?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re the only shirts I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll wear.

It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s like getting a hug from my wife for 8 hours at a time. [In the case of the dark red one?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ the one she bought me JUST CAUSE it is a hug from my wife all day long]

As far as why shirts are exspensive?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ besides the ?¢‚Ǩ?ìStatus?¢‚Ǩ? lable? Its for folks who have too much time and money on their hands and they just want to be able to say the shirt?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s that expensive. When your rich enough to buy anything you want and do so?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ life might get boring after a while.

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
Just stay away from open flame RK. Those chamois shirts, @ least ones that I bought from Gander Mountain and Cabelas are flamable! Look @ the underside of the "care" tag

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
What kind of fabric are they made out of and what kind of weave? I have found that's what made the price of my shrit vary.

However, the makers you mentioned, the prices seem rather high. I would expect the prices to be about half of what you quoted or they were just quoting the MSRP.

My custom Indy was $189. It has been the most comfortable shirt in my wardrobe. L.L. Bean comes close too. I like how you can select sleeve length and neck sizes.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I don't mind paying $70-$90 bucks for a shirt but $300,if I do the math and divide 300 even by as much as 100that's 3 you prove to me that the $300 shirt will outlast 3 other shirts I'd buy one tomorrow.Just a thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld