Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ships that passed in the night

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Aside from the photos that we post here, and the auctions on ebay, I really don't get to see all that many vintage hats. On the little road trip that my wife and I took last weekend, however, I had the opportunity to dig through quite a few hats. While I did pick up three, there were many that were far too small to buy, but far too interesting not to share. Here are some photos of hats that I found interesting.

Portis - note how the edge binding is stitched, and who doesn't want a hat that's Forest Quality?
DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

Dobbs Rancher
DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

A couple of derbies that just look like derbies from the outside, but the inside was interesting. Another thing I learned from Debbie Henderson's Hat Talk is that top hats and derbies once came only in small, medium and large. They had an internal drawstring system, of which that little bow in the back of the hat and sometimes those slits in the sweat are all that remains. This hat looks newer to me, but it illustrates the old method.

DSC_0056.jpg

Another derby.
DSC_0001.jpg

If this peach beauty hadn't been both too small and quite moth damaged, I'd be wearing it right now.
DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

tortswon

Practically Family
Thanks

Thanks for posting those photos, Lefty. They serve as encouragement for me to go out this weekend and do a little hat hunting. Best, Sam

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
There was nothing special looking about this hat, but it claims to have an interesting history.

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

Nutria - dog bite + under a size 7 = hat I'm not buying.

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

Halle Brothers with that cushy looking sweat that I had previously only seen on the MacLachlans.

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I don't think that I've heard of Fenton Club
DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

Here's another instance where I wouldn't have thought anything from the outside of the hat, and don't seem to have taken a photo of it, but the inside has all sorts of action. Of course, it's a size 7, so in the store's attic it will stay.

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

Barclay
DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

Richman Brothers OR style with the cushy sweat
DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great finds. That Swaine Adeney Brigg label makes me swoon. Dinerman (of course) has a Borsalino with the laced sweatband, too. It's an interesting system, and also interesting that the bow remained even after the laces were gone.

I love the Portis and the Dobbs.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
a very pretty Emerson Ten
DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

I'm not sure if this one is made by a company called Westchester, or if that's the model and I just can't read the brand name under the logo. Anyway, who doesn't like that venting?
DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

I love this ribbon.
DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

Oh, cool! I can finally get myself a....6 3/4? Never mind.
DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Inverness
Here's another beaut of a ribbon, and I didn't notice the bash until now. I wonder if that's the actual bash, or just the way it's been picked up.
DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

Last, but not least, the Alexander
DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

majormoore

Vendor
Bob C. did you see that hat that had the gray ribbon with the black three lines in it, looks just like the ribbon I have on the black hat and what will be going on your hat.

Major Moore

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lefty....

Incredible hats.....thanks for taking all those pics and posting them here for us small heads to drool over. :D

If I were there My wife would've wanted to kill me.....:eek:

GWD

One Too Many
Again Lefty, you are an amazing person! Thanks for doing this, you go above and beyond the call of duty!

Thanks again.

Gary

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys.
Despite sweating, getting dirty, and being repeatedly disappointed by the small sizes, the hats I purchased and these reference photos made it more than worth while - they made it fun.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Love the Portis "Forest Quality." The Peach Portis is to die for. Then there's a "Clear Nutria" that has "clearly" been dyed...;) Love the ribbon on the gray Portis -- Mallory had a ribbon that was almost identical. Very cool. The Emerson 10 is just beautiful.

These lids are also a great reminder of the many, many brands of hats out there back in the day -- with all of their various stylistic nuances.

Fantastic contribution, Lefty! Many thanks for putting this thread together and sharing these lids! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe