Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shinki info?

majormajor

One Too Many
Cheers, Major. Now, go to bed already!

He he! One more......(I do some better ones in the daylight tomorrow!:eeek:)....

frontdetailo.jpg

:D;)

pauleway

Practically Family
Mundane would be looking for nits to pick. Jeez H guys, get what you like and enjoy it. How would one determine "best"? We certainly can rely upon a core group of tanners to put out consistently good hides. That's good enough for me. The rest is personal preference. Now, more coffee so I can smile.
Shinki - Shminki, let me settle this "Who's is Best" debate. My new Aero 2-tone 30's HB is the best!! That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!!!:D:D;)

majormajor

One Too Many
Check, and mate b*tches. lol

IMG_0916.jpg

Nah, the race is still on.....Shinki VS Mojtoc (I googled it - "Made Outside Japan, Therefore Obviously Crap", apparently....)

marinehide.jpg

Butte currently has about 3 or 4 weeks start. I suggest both runners meet up after a year, and see who wins. I think it could be a dead heat (unless Ishmael throws himself under the legs of one of the runners........) :crazy::D;)

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
:lol: Now, now gents, this was merely a chance to gather a little bit of extra info into the one thread. Let's not descend into a patina war or some strange 'patina-off', where you hold a drag race with your jackets attached to the back bumpers and then compare the results. Actually, now I mention it, that has real potential...
Maybe this can be an official FL event! We can get all the different makers to sponsor cars, and have stalls selling cuffed jeans and vintage clothing! ;):D

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
HPA,

Yes for shoe and saddle leather that is absolutely correct, however for garment leather, which is what I was talking about, chrome tanning has been far more prevalent for almost 100 years.

Well, yes at least 90% of leather is chrome tanned. In WWI UK officers private purchase coats were being advertised as such because it was more durable in damp conditions.
However,high end leathers remain veg or combo tanned. That expensive sofa with the aniline finish and strong leather smell is veg tanned. As are handbags and expensive shoes etc.

I was up in London last week with a credit card in my pocket... a dangerous thing. I saw a nice ELC m-422a at a reduced price and couldn't resist.
Judging by some of the small insect bits on the hide it's Asian, probably Indian sourced as were the goatskins for early USN garments.
An aniline finish on a medium weight veg tanned hide produces a really characterful jacket with a crisp handle that will improve with age.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82