Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving Soap

Foxer55

A-List Customer
When I was younger, I used Old Spice products exclusively. I loved their light fragrance and they had a lot of what I thought were quality products: shaving soap, hair shampoo, talcum powder, bath soap, and the like.

Sometime in the '70s I developed some health problems that eventually turned out to be chemistry problems and upon taking care of this I found I have a very serious intolerance to fragrances. It is immediately a problem when exposed to the new highly aromatic perfumes, deoderants and men's lotions. I have a few old pucks of Old Spice shaving soap and some Old Spice aftershave laying around but they're all about 30 years old and I suspect the fragrance left those items long ago. So, I no longer can test myself against Old Spice products to see if I am sensitive to them.

Is anyone familiar with bath products along the line of Old Spice. That is, fragrance free or lightly pleasant without being overpowering, not the heavy aromatic or petrochemical based junk, a full range of products, available in the U.S, and from a quality supplier?

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Thanks, guys, I'll look into all of them. I don't like the creams so much because to me they are messier than using a brush but they do give a damn close shave.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
I'd recommend you check with a couple of forums like straightrazorplace or the shave nook. Shave with a straight or DE myself and purchase various soaps but in Europe and you'll be cheaper off going though a US based company but by all means, get some recommendations because some of the fragrance free/hypoallergenic soaps are, frankly, utter crap. And there's not always a positive correlation between price and quality I'm afraid. I once tried a hypoallergenic soap by one of the reputed UK producers and while it was certainly fragrance and preservative free, it also cost >20 USD/for a small bowl and did nothing in terms of lubrication/cushioning etc. Personally I use proraso green and Valobra but both are more or less the antithesis of fragrance free (menthol and almond respectively).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe