Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving Kit Help

englishrose

New in Town
Hello,
Fairly new on here but hoping one of you guys can help me out! Recently purchased a vintage shaving kit of ebay for my bf for his birthday and am not sure what some of the things included are for. Any ideas?

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/0/5/4/9/8/7/webimg/455525262_tp.jpg

Its mainly the two smaller tubes either side of the razor (presumed these are for brush/powder) and the long, thin tube which seems to be able to open in the middle but doesn't want to and I don't want to force it :eek:
Thanks!

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Rose,
Welcome to the Lounge!

It looks like you snagged a nice piece of kit there! Your fella is lucky!
One tube could be fitted with a shaving stick. Many manufacturers make their soaps in a stick format, search for Wilkinson Sword, Valobra, or Speick. The face would be splashed with water, the stick rubbed vigorously on the face, and then subsequently lathered on the face (called predictably, face lathering). This prevents the traveller from having to lug a bowl, cup, or shaving scuttle along.
The other larger tube could be for shaving talc, or, if you find a small enough brush, for brush storage. Caution, a brush really needs to dry after use, so unless there are vent holes, I'd shy from that option.
The small tube looks to be a toothbrush holder to me. I'd soak the whole thing in some sort of penetrating oil for a few days and see if that gets it loosened up. The metal on metal contact could have corroded and come oil in there should do the trick.

englishrose

New in Town
Thanks!

Thank you for that! I thought the longer tube might have been a toothbrush holder but wasn't entirely sure. Will try the oil trick to see if I can get it open. There is a little stick in the kit actually with souplex - made in england written on the top. Will just have to see if I can find a brush to go with it now! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe