Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shave of the Day

Michaelshane

One Too Many
P1040404.jpg
[/IMG]

JEEP

Practically Family
Herr Hitman said:
Isn't that aftershave the best?

It is rather nice. I would probably have bought the alcohol based splash today though. ASB's feels nice on my dry skin and soothes burn a little better than an alcohol based splash - but it also clogs up the pores quite easily.

The scent is a little so/so for me; some days I love it - and other days not so much.

Regards.

Jakob

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
Herr Hitman said:
I have only ever used my Merkur, and it works like a charm. How does yours work?
It works quite nicely for me, though no better than my brother's Merkur. I do prefer the Feather blades to the Merkur blades he uses, however.

JEEP

Practically Family
It has been a good week so far :)

Got this yesterday:

Gillette_NEW_In_Box_01_01.jpg

Gillette_NEW_In_Box_01_02.jpg

Gillette_NEW_In_Box_01_03.jpg

A nice (early?) US ball-end Gillette NEW in box w. bladeholder. The razor and box were quite dirty, but cleaned up nicely, the plating is 85-90% intact. The handle has a small crack in both ends, the endcap was loose, some industrial grade epoxy solved that.

Today:

Gillette_Sheraton_01_01.jpg

Gillette_Sheraton_01_02.jpg

A very nice Gillette Sheraton. The plating is 95% intact, with some discoloration of the laquer on the handle. The doors does not close entirely even and the blade gap on on side is slightly uneven, but I do not think it is enough to cause any problems while. Tomorrow will tell.

Regards.

Jakob

Cigarband

A-List Customer
Looking Forward to Sunday

This coming Sunday is my birthday (none of your business how old). My Sister has gotten me a Royal Shave from The Art of Shaving, by their Master Barber at the shop in Beachwood Ohio. I'm looking forward to Sunday like a kid on Xmas Eve. I've never had a Barber shave. If there is any interest here, I will be happy to tell FL all about.

JEEP

Practically Family
The cracks are caused by the fact that the endcap and headpiece are of a slightly bigger diameter than the handle itself, it was done so in order attatch the endcap and headpiece firmly without using glue or welding - over time the preassure, combined with temperature changes, has caused most old-style handles to crack. It is rare to find one without cracks. Luckily the cracks can rather easily be stabilized with epoxy.

SOTD300409.jpg

This morning:

Gillette Sheraton w. Derby Extra (4)
Kent Bk4
Indian Palmolive Refreshing Lemon SC
Unscented Thayer's Witch Hazel
Yellow Italian Floïd

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD010509.jpg

This morning:

40s Gillette Super Speed w. Derby Extra (1)
Omega prof. boar
Indian Old Spice SC
Family Dollar Spice "Old Spice" AS

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
Nice bottle. Is it with aloe vera aswell?

SOTD020509.jpg

This morning:

Gillette NEW Standard w. Derby Extra (2)
Blindes Arbejde bubinga handle pure badger
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Thayer's Witch Hazel
Yellow Italian Floïd

Regards.

Jakob

Esme

One of the Regulars
Oh thank god I looked twice!

At first glance I read the name of this thread as Shiv of the day!! What are we coming to, I thought!!

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD040509.jpg

This morning:

Brit. Gillette NEW w. Derby Extra (3)
Omega 10098 Prof. Boar
Worning & Petersen milled down shaving stick
Yellow Italian Floïd

Regards.

Jakob

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Not really a shave of the day, but a wet shaving question. How do you sterilize a shaving brush?

I've been wet shaving for years, and have never had a problem. I figure, that as long as the brush isn't kept some place where it stays wet all the time, nothing funky will grow on it.

Then the other day, I dropped the brush on the floor, in the middle of a shave. Not to be paranoid, I don't want to have to do a Seinfeld, and throw away a Silvertip brush, but is soap and hot water good enough to kill the bad things?

Lone_Ranger said:
How do you sterilize a shaving brush?
Is soap and hot water good enough to kill the bad things?
The next question: how do you sterilize your head?
(Not a challenge but to provoke thoughts along this line...)

In general, if a brush gets funky you wash it with non-conditioning shampoo.

Has anyone here ever seen fungus mold or mildew grow directly on soap? I know I never have so I am thinking that it has an anti-bad stuff component that staves this off, which is one of the reasons we wash with it. So a shave brush should be protected.

However if you use preshave oil, sometimes a brush will get "clogged up" by it and that's when you shampoo it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe