Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sellers

ufguy11

One of the Regulars
I'm brand new to the fedora lounge, as some of you might know, and have been suggested to buy from the fedora store, or aaron hats, or a place like that like ebay, etc. If there is anyone that can help me find a discount from Duane or somebody, your help would be appreciated.

epic610

One of the Regulars
concentrate...

more on finding a great hat rather than a deal! a good hat will last for decades; make sure you get what you want rather than settle for something just to save a few bucks. the difference between some beater on ebay and a top of the line new model may only work out to a few dollars a year.

RedPop4

One Too Many
A guy's gotta start somewhere, most aren't ready to jump in with both feet and get a custom or a $100+ hat right off the bat. I understand where he's coming from, I'm sort of there with him.

epic610

One of the Regulars
my first serious hat...

was a borsalino allessandro purchased in 1981 at the old worth and worth store on madison avenue in nyc. it was a completely impulse purchase; i was shopping for wine at morrell's next door. just went in and told the salesperson i might be interested in something really cool looking.

turns out best hat ever; still have it. just got it reconditioned this year. the compliments from all the hot girls in the office was what motivated me to keep wearing hats.

a selection more meek ....or less expressive ....or yes, cheap... might not have been enough to sustain my new interest.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Coupla things...

What size do you wear, and what do you want to spend? I'm happy to help you if you can give some details. Do you know what type of hat you're looking for?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good Day.
There are a few things to take into account when buying a hat. Price is the big one for me. I don’t like to put a large amount of money into something unless I know I am going to get good use out of it. So I usually buy a cheaper model, see if I use it a lot or wear it out, and take it from there. I also have no issues with buying foreign (not Canadian) or buying off line. For someone not wanting to put a lot of money up front and get a good quality product I will recommend Akubra all the time. Shipping and duty cost added most would come to under $100. I personally use http://www.hatsdirect.com/ but some have recommended http://everythingaustralian.com.au/default.asp as well. For non Akubra hats I have also used http://www.villagehatshop.com/ they have a few cheaper models, I have no personal experience with, but if you do a search in the fedora lounge you should get some reviews on the hats. Hope that helps any.
Johnny

ufguy11

One of the Regulars
Okay, I understand now that I should probably get a hat that is the best that I can afford, but not something that is to expensive or out of my price range. I have seen the websites y'all have reccomended and have seen other sites as well. For all that can, tell me if this is a good quality hat or not- http://getahaton.com/proddetail.php?prod=AS501GR&cat=82 - Please be honest.

I'd stay away from wool. Lotsa reputable retailers carry 'em because, I've been told, it's a whole lot easier to get a guy who thinks he might just maybe be interested in buying a hat to part with 50 bucks than three or four (or more) times that much. So it's better to ring up a small sale than no sale at all and the customer may develop a taste for something better and come back later. (That's almost verbatim what a western wear shop owner told me.)
But you're here, ufguy11, which kinda indicates that you have a more than casual interest in hats. Perhaps you should stroll into a bricks-and-mortar store and try on a bunch of lids to get a sense of your actual size and what style(s) you prefer. I'm confident that once you are armed with that knowledge, you will find a very nice vintage lid for something less than 50 bucks. If you take good care of it, it will still be serving you well years from now, and it will likely be worth more than you paid for it. Can't say that for a new wool fedora.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Beaver Brand

When you place your order, just put that you are a member of the lounge and your username, ufguy11. I will then immediately credit you back 20% off the price of whatever hat you order. This is for lounge members only. I used to have a discount code, but folks reading that aren't members were using it.

Also, I recommend the BEST of both worlds, a good hat and a good deal. Check out our Beaver Brand fur felts. They are a very nice hat, although their quality wasn't what it is today 3 of 4 years ago. Now it's a good hat, and a good deal. Roan Leather sweatbands and all, not like the bargain hats offered by other manufacturers that we also carry.

Duane

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Wool works for many folks

tonyb said:
I'd stay away from wool. Lotsa reputable retailers carry 'em because, I've been told, it's a whole lot easier to get a guy who thinks he might just maybe be interested in buying a hat to part with 50 bucks than three or four (or more) times that much. So it's better to ring up a small sale than no sale at all and the customer may develop a taste for something better and come back later. (That's almost verbatim what a western wear shop owner told me.)
But you're here, ufguy11, which kinda indicates that you have a more than casual interest in hats. Perhaps you should stroll into a bricks-and-mortar store and try on a bunch of lids to get a sense of your actual size and what style(s) you prefer. I'm confident that once you are armed with that knowledge, you will find a very nice vintage lid for something less than 50 bucks. If you take good care of it, it will still be serving you well years from now, and it will likely be worth more than you paid for it. Can't say that for a new wool fedora.

I must differ about staying away from wool. There are plenty of very fine wool hats out there, and there is a particular market for each product, and level of quality. Naturally, if you are a die-hard "one hat" guy, and want to wear it fishing, then cutting the grass, and then out on the town, then wool wouldn't be for you. I wear several nice LiteFelt wool fedoras, and they are fine, durable, water resistant and inexpensive. I have many many happy customers that have purchased wool hats, which is of course, the majority. I think the guy at the Western shop wanted to sell you a fur right off, and not mess around with hoping you come back one day for a better hat. There is no good reason to stay away from wool felt, unless you are very discriminative.

My Thoughts on the subject, anyway.

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
hi im very new to fedoras also and got my first off of ebay after carefully studying the information on this site and learning from the many wise people who post here. I was lucky enough to find what i wanted with a buy it now option so i did not have to duke it out with anyone. Ebays always a option to consider.
hope you find a beautiful hat soon

thefedorastore said:
I think the guy at the Western shop wanted to sell you a fur right off, and not mess around with hoping you come back one day for a better hat.

I think otherwise. The guy at the western shop knows I don't wear cowboy hats (I've told him as much, and he's seen ample evidence), and that's all he carries. He doesn't even stock Open Roads or anything like them--just wide brimmed cowboy lids. I've bought brushes and Scout brand stuff and such from him, and even a pair of boots once, but never a hat.
BTW, do you still have visions of opening a retail shop in Custer, as you alluded to a while back? That's always sounded like a winning idea to me.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
That Dorman Pacific you picked

ufguy11,
You want honest, on a budget, yes? Here it is. Many people here will tell you to avoid wool felt hats, and normally I'd agree. But if waiting a few months isn't going to change your price limit, it's may be a good place to start. As for the Dorfman Pacific, I've heard negative things about that particular brand. Also, that's a crushable, which means it will be a bit floppy. If that's what you like, then crushable is fine. A wool felt hat that will last for a few years, depending on what happens to it in that time.

If you want to deal with Aaron, but choose to avoid Dorfman Pacific, e-mail him and describe what you're looking for, maybe even use that hat as an example. He should be able to help you.
NB

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Custer, Yeah

tonyb said:
I think otherwise. The guy at the western shop knows I don't wear cowboy hats (I've told him as much, and he's seen ample evidence), and that's all he carries. He doesn't even stock Open Roads or anything like them--just wide brimmed cowboy lids. I've bought brushes and Scout brand stuff and such from him, and even a pair of boots once, but never a hat.
BTW, do you still have visions of opening a retail shop in Custer, as you alluded to a while back? That's always sounded like a winning idea to me.

Yes, when my daughter moves away (16 now), I am Custer bound to get a loft with a storefront on the ground floor. It may be another town in that general vicinity, but that's where we'll be going. Thanks for taking my counter-point with a good heart. It's just that the only reasons they make a Chevy is that not everyone is willing to dish out the bucks for a Cadillac, and it's better to sell a sub-standard cheap car than to not sell a car at all. You see, this can apply to any product. Would you get a J2 Jiffy Steamer when you could have a J-4000? I got a J2, and it serves it purpose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe