Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeing Red

donnc

One of the Regulars
Woodfluter said:
That said, I wonder how much is conditioning and how much is something inherently right or wrong about colors? I suspect it's mostly the former. We just don't expect bright red hats.

Don't expect a bright red fedoras on a man, that is - a red baseball cap isn't unusual at all.

In my early teens, my father bought a pair of bright red felt broad brimmed hats, no ribbon, primarily for hunting, and I wore mine fairly often when it rained. Can't remember what became of it; the last I remember wearing it was on campus when I was an undergraduate (things were different back in the '70s.) My father wore his with some kind of smokey bear crown shape, or maybe it was the "Gus" dent I've seen on a couple of pictures of cowboy hats. Think mine may have eventually gone to something like a C crown, and in the end so much taper it was nearly conical. Smokey bear doesn't really suit my face. The color went well with a tattered army surplus olive green twill jacket and blue jeans. I'd probably still be wearing it, if it had miraculously held up undamaged through everything - once I get used to doing something, it doesn't matter a lot that no one else does it, think most are that way.

Pompidou

One Too Many
My Art Fawcett westernized porkpie is going to be Cabernet. If you go to the Vintage Silhouettes website and check out "Frankie" in the limited editions gallery, it's a very nice red. Being the only red fedora in the bunch, you can't miss it. I'm thinking even the ribbon and binding will be cabernet. http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/lim_ed_frameset.htm I'll just make sure my shirt is also red. I've got one bright red shirt already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld