Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott "Classic Truck Jacket"

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
Again, why send your best USA goods to japan exclusively? Should be available to here...the japanese would buy them anyway. Doesn't make sense to me.

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
Same thing goes for guitars.Gibson makes a line for the Japanese market known as "Orville".They're amazing!

Yeah, I'm familiar with the Orvilles and I'm old enough to remember that the first MIJ Squiers (series JV and E) were better than the american Strats, BUT in this case we are talking about MIUSA jackets made and sold on the japanese market, not MIJ jackets, at least I've never seen a MIJ Schott in person, but I can talk about my direct experience with the 641XX.

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
Again, why send your best USA goods to japan exclusively? Should be available to here...the japanese would buy them anyway. Doesn't make sense to me.

My understanding is that these jackets were made under the input of the japanese distributor, who evidently noticed that in his market there was interest for historically accurate Schotts, something that shouldn't surprise because we already know that brands like Real McCoy's and the Few make some of the best WWII jacket. The japanese culture traditionally gives a lot of importance to details, and the XX is a almost perfect replica of this jacket:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380379172338?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

Besides the gorgeous red lining.

To be fair, it seems to me that the 641XX is somehow on the american market because it looks to me a lot like the CAF and even more like the Restoration Hardware jacket that has already been discussed on this board, however since it seems that on the FL Schott is always getting a bad rap by a lot of people I wonder if the marketing is right: if these japanese jacket would have been available people would complain that they're as good as Aeros, GWs, LWs and bla bla bla.

Edward

Bartender
Same thing goes for guitars.Gibson makes a line for the Japanese market known as "Orville".They're amazing!

Yeah, Orville By Gibson are like a higher-end Epiphone. A bit like the Epiphone Elitist series they produced for the European ans US markets, but that didn't catch on either because folks didn't want an "expensive Epiphone" (many Gibson fans seem to be fixated more on he brand name and the headstock shape than the instrument itself) or because Gibson felt they were too stiff competition to the parent brand, some one of the two. Realistically they need to do this on the Japanese market to compete with the quality that the likes of Tokai produce without the premium price you pay for the Gibson brand. The same money that buys a Gibson Standard of the production line can buy you a Tokai with features Gibson will charge another couple of grand for. The shame about Japan is that the very best guitars they produce never see the light of day anywhere else, by all accounts. They really produce the very best these days.

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
Yeah, Orville By Gibson are like a higher-end Epiphone. A bit like the Epiphone Elitist series they produced for the European ans US markets, but that didn't catch on either because folks didn't want an "expensive Epiphone" (many Gibson fans seem to be fixated more on he brand name and the headstock shape than the instrument itself) or because Gibson felt they were too stiff competition to the parent brand, some one of the two.

Coff coff...the introduction of the japanese Professional line almost killed Jackson USA because the japanese guitars were as good as the american at half price. And my main guitar is a 1990 Soloist professional.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe