Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 689H After Break-In

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
This is one of my favorites right now and it was made right in my state.

Here's a before shot when it was brand new:

crop08.jpg

After about 9 months of wear:

Untitled5.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Fiver64

Practically Family
Very Cool!

Great looking jacket and fits you well! Thanks for sharing the pics? Out of curiosity.......... what type of lining does it have? Is it the usual quilted liner or non-insulated?

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
jchosko said:
Looks great! A perfect fit. Just curious, do you usually have the collar buttoned down or unbuttoned?

Thanks. I button it down. It has a very tapered cut and feels like it was tailor made for me.

Fiver64 said:
Great looking jacket and fits you well! Thanks for sharing the pics? Out of curiosity.......... what type of lining does it have? Is it the usual quilted liner or non-insulated?

Its a quilted insulated liner. Good for 30-50 degree weather.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
You can see the quilted lining in these pics.

Its horsehide and was very stiff when brand new. With time, it's loosened up a bit but I still need to unzip it when driving otherwise the top of the jacket pushes up against my chin in a seated position. The horsehide has also molded itself around my frame so it fits even better the more I wear it - see 2nd pic below.

I considered the Aero Highwayman and Vanson Enfield too. Ultimately, I chose this one when I found one on sale at Frank's in the Bronx. I wasn't sure of the size so they shipped me a 42 and 44 for free and told me to keep the one that fits better. I really didn't want to invest $$$ in an Aero sight unseen. Seems like fit for the Highwayman is hit or miss. All of Schott's sz 42 moto jackets just fit me like a glove.

I have no other HH jackets to compare this leather to. But, it feels substantial and its perfectly adequate to protect against road rash in a spill should that be a concern. The brass zippers are really beefy and should last awhile before replacement is needed, if ever.

Other than some loose threads here and there I couldn't be more satisfied with the purchase. The only thing negative I can think of is the over-sized windflap. I have no use for that since I'm a fair-weather rider. Also, the fact that the Schott factory is 20 minutes from my hometown is a plus.

DSCN2375.jpg

DSCN2376.jpg

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
Very nice...Wasn't aware this model had the lapel snaps. A plus! I have a Schott horse cafe and it's a fine hide. Basically the same body and it's a great fit. Zip out liner too which I like. Schotts horse seems to be pretty decent stuff.

Fiver64

Practically Family
captaincaveman1 said:
The only thing negative I can think of is the over-sized windflap. I have no use for that since I'm a fair-weather rider. =QUOTE]

I hate windflaps too. I've had several jackets that I realy liked but the flaps had to go. Took them to trusted local tailor and cost me $15-20 to have the flaps removed and the jacket restitched. Can't even tell it was ever there. Matched the stitch holes perfectly. Perhaps SCHOTT might even do it for you since you live so close.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Wind Flap

Fiver64 said:
captaincaveman1 said:
The only thing negative I can think of is the over-sized windflap. I have no use for that since I'm a fair-weather rider. =QUOTE]

I hate windflaps too. I've had several jackets that I realy liked but the flaps had to go. Took them to trusted local tailor and cost me $15-20 to have the flaps removed and the jacket restitched. Can't even tell it was ever there. Matched the stitch holes perfectly. Perhaps SCHOTT might even do it for you since you live so close.
I will have to remember, if I ever buy an Eastman Luftwaffe jacket, to send it to you and have your taylor sew one of your old flaps into my jacket! That way I can wear it on my motorcycles and stay warm.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

what an incredible jacket...congrats

for me the eastman luftwaffe i bought is perfection, but this is a nice variation on perfection...

being in lalaland i'd probably need to custom order to have quilting taken out, but i'd leave the design as intended even tho i agree, i don't think the windflap works designwise, looks so a-2, tho for a rider it is the necessary element...also don't care for the collar snaps, and would like the back buckles lower to the waist, but then i'm describing the luftwaffe jacket

as something different than an eastman luftwaffe, which is amazing, this might be my second choice...simply superb...nice to see an american maker can pull off a truly top of the line serious jacket :D

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Yeah the big giant plus is Schott's accessibility. I can actually walk into a store in NYC and try one on before throwing down $$$$. Or, I can order it and pay no more than 15 bucks to ship back if it doesn't fit right. That's a big advantage the overseas jacket makers can't touch.

Plus I got a good deal on this one.

Peacoat

Bartender
Nice jacket, Cap'n Cave. I would think that your normal size would be a 40, and you went up one size to a 42? I got a Schott Cafe Racer several years ago and had to go two sizes up to a 46.

Mr. Peacoat.

advpampas

New in Town
luftwaffe

Hi. It always surprises me that some in the forum refer to and are happy to use jackets that are reproductions (or at least honor the name) of German army jackets used by the Nazis, i.e., with no consideration whatsoever of any ethical or historical implications (beyond jacket style). This is not mean to be an ad hominem email (I enjoy many of your posts, johnnyjohnny), just a call to considering the problem.
V

johnnyjohnny said:
what an incredible jacket...congrats

for me the eastman luftwaffe i bought is perfection, but this is a nice variation on perfection...

being in lalaland i'd probably need to custom order to have quilting taken out, but i'd leave the design as intended even tho i agree, i don't think the windflap works designwise, looks so a-2, tho for a rider it is the necessary element...also don't care for the collar snaps, and would like the back buckles lower to the waist, but then i'm describing the luftwaffe jacket

as something different than an eastman luftwaffe, which is amazing, this might be my second choice...simply superb...nice to see an american maker can pull off a truly top of the line serious jacket :D

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Peacoat said:
Nice jacket, Cap'n Cave. I would think that your normal size would be a 40, and you went up one size to a 42? I got a Schott Cafe Racer several years ago and had to go two sizes up to a 46.

Mr. Peacoat.
Nope, my normal size is a 42. So I went with the 42. The 44 I tried on was a tad too big. I don't own any coats that are SZ 40 - my shoulders won't fit in them.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
advpampas said:
Hi. It always surprises me that some in the forum refer to and are happy to use jackets that are reproductions (or at least honor the name) of German army jackets used by the Nazis, i.e., with no consideration whatsoever of any ethical or historical implications (beyond jacket style). This is not mean to be an ad hominem email (I enjoy many of your posts, johnnyjohnny), just a call to considering the problem.
V

Alright. I'll be the first one to tackle this. If I understand you correctly, your main complaint here is against the use of the term "luftwaffe," which translated from German, is a generic term for "air force." While both the German language and an air force were used by the Nazis, neither are exclusive to the political party or the ideals they held. Before you condemn us, friend, you're going to have to come up with a stronger association.

Peacoat

Bartender
advpampas said:
V

Careful, as the Bartenders tend to yell at us for getting into political discussions--especially this political discussion.

BaggyPants

Familiar Face
advpampas said:
Hi. It always surprises me that some in the forum refer to and are happy to use jackets that are reproductions of french cyclists jackets used by the Luftwaffe

Fixed it for you. Would they be acceptable if they wore garlands of onions around the neck? lol

They were actually commercial jackets bought privately by german pilots and never officially part of any uniform. Most people wouldn't know what it was anyway, unless you badged it up with a Luftwaffe eagle and shoulder boards, which would be somewhat tasteless unless you were at a reenactment event.

Anyway, back on topic, nice jacket Captain. It's breaking in very nicely indeed. I'm considering getting a jacket in this style myself, from Aero, one day :)

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Thanks all.

Here's one more goofy shot of the jacket. He's smiling because it's not goat hide.lol

Well, here you can see all the unique creases and wrinkles on the arms that have developed. Compare to the first pic in this thread for comparison.

Untitl5ed5.jpg

BaggyPants

Familiar Face
A leather jacket isn't a leather jacket until the arms get like that. When you take it off and they still take the shape of your arms, you know it's about done :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe