Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schoble reform

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
I know I may not have the support of die-hard traditionalists here, but an idea came to me last November as I was watching the Johnnyphi auctions.

I cannot wear a brim over 2" (it`s a deep down embedded thing, apologies!), so there was no way I was going to wear a 2 1/2" brim, but I longed for a 1940`s felt hat.

I came up with the idea, that if successful, I would have the hat mailed to Optimo, and have it sized my shape (long long oval), and have any touching up that needs to be done. A conversation with Graham allowed me to express what I wanted, but I did want to have a traditional hat from the 1940`s, without the originality of the Schoble destroyed. Think of it this way...if you bought a 1940`s suit and had it tailored to fit you, with the addition of a few period flairs (to fit your body shape, for example) - as long as you wear it, it would give you more pleasure than just keeping it without the passion to wear it. I felt that way with the Schoble - if it was tailored to my liking in the flair of the period, I would feel happier wearing it than having a large brim, which I would not wear. Well, everyone to themselves on this thought, but that`s the project I undertook...

The hat as it appeared at the auction:

C0000228855_1.jpg

By the way, those are moth bites at the back, even though Johnnyphi said there were "no moth bites"...:rage: :rage: :rage:

The hat as I received it:

January2009001-7.jpg

January2009002-5.jpg

January2009003-6.jpg
]

January2009004-3.jpg

The crown has been pushed up 1/2" since the photo below:

January2009002-2.jpg

And finally, a shot on my noggin, a la `Douglas`...

January2009004-5.jpg

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
It really does look great, and the brim size seems harmonious with your facial structure. I'd have to see a photo, but a wider brim hat may just wear you IMHO, if you get my meaning.
I think you did great! If that hat gets a ton of wear, I wouldn't be surprised, and kudos for your intrepitude!

Feraud

Bartender
I generally do not go for cutting down vintage hats but you (and Optimo) have pulled it off. The hat looks great on you and will obviously get more wear than not.
Those obvious moth bites at the rear base of the crown should be noted in the sale. The nips in the first picture are as plain as day.

PSA time..
We should keep in mind that taking in or letting out vintage clothes is a reversible operation. Trimming a brim is not. :)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I must admit -- I winced when I started to read about modifying the Schoble.

But, man -- Daizawaguy, that is an absolutely beautiful transformation. It gets the hat where you need it to be, while retaining the character of the original. Looks great on you, as well. Nicely done! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Nicely Done...

Thanks for posting this thread, along with photos. I'm sorry I missed the moth nibbles during my inspection, and I agree that they are visible in the photo posted for the auction. As I have mentioned in many posts, I do my best to identify any nibbles, and I post multiple high-res photos of all hats that are auctioned on the Lounge.

I'm glad to see that the converted hat looks great, and I can't see the nibbles in your photos of the converted hat, so I hope all is well that ends well.

daizawaguy said:
The hat as it appeared at the auction:

C0000228855_1.jpg

By the way, those are moth bites at the back, even though Johnnyphi said there were "no moth bites"...:rage: :rage: :rage:

The hat as I received it:

January2009001-7.jpg

January2009002-5.jpg

January2009003-6.jpg
]

January2009004-3.jpg

The crown has been pushed up 1/2" since the photo below:

January2009002-2.jpg

And finally, a shot on my noggin, a la `Douglas`...

January2009004-5.jpg

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That Schoble was perfect as it was. I hate to see these "mintage" Johnnyphi's tweaked because they're perfectly preserved pieces of history. Sad really.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe