Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sad Resistols

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I'm a little sad, even though I should be excited...

Yesterday evening, a friend visited me for a few drinks and a bit of music. With him he brought two hats which belonged to his father. He told me to keep them since he has no use for them. Both of them are Resistols, probably 60s, stingy brimmed - and they spent the best part of the last couple of decades carelessly stashed away in a dark corner of some long forgotten locker. One is black, the other came in brown. Both of them are DIRTY. Some stains, lots of dust, but nothing that can't be fixed, I believe.

But then the brown one is in a really sad condition, as it got some SERIOUS moth tracks along the front left edge of the brim.

This is the black one (sorry for the bad image quality - had to use my cell phone for the photos so it's rather blurry yet pixelated and the colors are not really accurate):

resistol-01.jpg

And here is the brown one. Note the moth marks in the third picture.

resistol-02.jpg

Now, ain't that sad? :(

Feraud

Bartender
Not so sad. You have two solid, wearable hats. Clean 'em up and wear them. The moth tracks only detract if you let it. Tell people you nearly had your hat shot off in a barfight. ;)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Tell people you nearly had your hat shot off in a barfight. ;)

Hehe...sounds like a good idea - I'll try that! :cool2:

Seriously, though: I'm pretty happy with those lids he gave me. No complaints, really. As for the moth marks: At the moment I'm considering stitching a black lining to the brim. We'll see.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
Hehe...sounds like a good idea - I'll try that! :cool2:

Seriously, though: I'm pretty happy with those lids he gave me. No complaints, really. As for the moth marks: At the moment I'm considering stitching a black lining to the brim. We'll see.
Good idea. Once you bind the edge on that brim, no one will ever know the moth nibbles are there.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I think that's what I'll do. I'll post some picture when I'm done.

Still, I wonder who first came up with the idea of inventing hats, create moths - and then let them roam about in the same place...doesn't make much sense to me. ;)

Mario, I wonder if these Resistols were made by Wegener under license? That is what I am thinking. If so can you also stick them under the German - Austrian hutmacher thread?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Yes, you're spot on. It's not discernable in the photos, but it says 'Made in license in Germany', even though it doesn't say anywhere just who made these hats, license or not. Wegener is not mentioned.

I'll post them in German & Austrian Hutmacher thread anyway.

Mario said:
Yes, you're spot on. It's not discernable in the photos, but it says 'Made in license in Germany', even though it doesn't say anywhere just who made these hats, license or not. Wegener is not mentioned.

I'll post them in German & Austrian Hutmacher thread anyway.

From the Wegener web site (poor translation).

"Klaus Theodor Wegener was responsible for initiating the extraordinary relationships to several hat companies in the United States and after working in Dallas/Texas at Resistol, R&M Wegener was granted the license to produce Resitol hats in Germany from 1958 onwards. "

http://wegener-headwear.de/en/aboutus.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld