Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Royal Stetson...Yard Sale Pick-up!!!!

Razzman

One Too Many
I just picked-up a Royal Stetson, no....not a Whippet, nor a Stratoliner or an Open Road. Just a neat Royal Stetson stingy brim. It's medium grey, with a silk liner, it has a 1 1/2" brim with a cavanagh edge. It was a paltry $3.00.
So I bought it. I'm going to try the Naptha cleaning bath Magus used. Nothing really to loose. The hat was a bit dusty, but no moth bites and overall good shape. I brused it several times and it cleaned up pretty well on the outside. The liner was spotted and yellowed. Here are the before pics. I'll show the after when the Naptha bath is complete.
a>

a>

a>

a>
[/IMG]
a>

More pics to follow.

Razzman

One Too Many
Oops! Forgot to show the outside pics

Sorry, forgot to show the other side of this hat.:eek:

a>

a>

a>

Can anybody date this hat? Is the cavanaugh edge common on a Stetson?
Thanks,

WEEGEE

Practically Family
LLLOVE THE HAT

1960's...the felt is good...i killed one before i knew better then to pinch the

crown...( as per Wildroot air conditioned) great buy.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Razzman said:
Can anybody date this hat? Is the cavanaugh edge common on a Stetson?

What a bargain! :eusa_clap It should clean up nicely.

My guess is late-1960s, but that's just a guess.

I believe you've actually got an overwelt on that brim, as opposed to a Cavanagh Edge. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see a row of stitches along the welt, as well as a defined edge where the welt was cut.

Stetson had a certain percentage of Cavanagh Edges in their line, same as many other brands, though they were by far outnumbered, in my estimation, by other brim treatments, particularly bound edges. I'm still trying to get a hold of actual numbers, and maybe one of these days I will.lol

Brad

Razzman

One Too Many
Brad, you are correct. It is an overwelt with a row of stitching. I really didn't look close enough to notice. I just assumed. Thanks for pointing that out.:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally