Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roelofs Hats?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
One last bit on Guyer-Roelofs

American Hatter 1921
Obituary for:
Screen%2520Shot%25202013-01-29%2520at%25203.28.44%2520PM.png

Intrigue:
Screen%2520Shot%25202013-01-29%2520at%25203.43.20%2520PM.png

Last edited:
Houses of:
John Batterson Stetson Residency
"Idro," Old York Road, Ashbourrne
""Idro," from the Russian, meaning cool and pleasant, the grand palatial home of John B. Stetson, America's foremost hat manufacturer, is on one of the most elevated and charming sites on this noble old highway, near Cheltenham Road. The 15 acres of ground are diversified with hill, dale and forest."
4198550746_dd68a53cb6_o.jpg

Henry Hoffman Roelofs Residence
"Rhylon," Old York Road, Ashbourne
"On one of the prettiest spots along the grand and famous Old York Road stands the towered and gabled stone residence of Henry H. Roelofs, of the widely famous hat manufacturing firm of Henry H. Roelofs & Co., especially noticeable for its beautiful lawns and rhododendrons."

4198550662_31842a9640_o.jpg

Hi All

The hat industry must have been very lucrative. The homes are mansions even according to todays mcmansions.
Makes one wonder how much it cost to make a quality fedora in 1930-1940 and then what was the profit margin?
We have all seen hats with the price tag still attached ie, I saw a price tag for a Stetson Royal Deluxe for $7.25 probably from 1940-1950.
Very interesting.
Best regards
CCJ

Mr. Speakeasy

One of the Regulars
I was directed here by Mayserwegener to display my bowler, I'm thinking it dates from 1880-1900 (somewhere in there) and its in fairly good shape considering, sadly the sweatband is long gone but the label is still there

tumblr_mbqqbup4rf1qhhvpco2_500.jpg

tumblr_mbqqbup4rf1qhhvpco3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mbqqbup4rf1qhhvpco4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mbqqbup4rf1qhhvpco5_r1_1280.jpg

anyone know enough about the company to be able to date the label?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I was directed here by Mayserwegener to display my bowler, I'm thinking it dates from 1880-1900 (somewhere in there) and its in fairly good shape considering, sadly the sweatband is long gone but the label is still there

Company formed in 1890 and taken over in 1913-14. Big range of shapes available throughout that era for Derbies so tough to get specific unless the style was very unusual single season experiment(it isn't)

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
It seems that hats were made with both the Roelofs and Guyer Hat Co. Brand Names well after the end of the original company. Were they resurrected or licensed? I have no idea. I have not found any ads, news or other data post 1921 online and no legal Trademark registration/usage.

I have seen in person later Guyer hats and caps.

Last edited:

janjan

New in Town
Hello sir, I know this is 5 years old but I found your post and had to reply. My name is Jan Roelofs, and this company belonged to my great grandfather. My brother recently was given a sign from the hat store found in a demo building. I would love to buy this hat from you if you would be willing to sell it assuming it's still in fairly good condition as pictured here. If so and you are willing name a fair price and we'll go from there. Thanks.

Robert (RLK) has not been posting for a while, but I would bet someone here can reach him. We all miss his substantial, knowledgeable, in-depth posts and perspectives. Oh, and those HATS, Robert!!!

buler

I'll Lock Up
Hello sir, I know this is 5 years old but I found your post and had to reply. My name is Jan Roelofs, and this company belonged to my great grandfather. My brother recently was given a sign from the hat store found in a demo building. I would love to buy this hat from you if you would be willing to sell it assuming it's still in fairly good condition as pictured here. If so and you are willing name a fair price and we'll go from there. Thanks.

Hi Jan, welcome to the fedora lounge! Great to have you join us. Which hat in this thread are you referring to? If it is a hat from the member RLK, I can pass a message on to him.

B

Glenn Denshaw

New in Town
I realize that this thread started quite a few years ago, but I have something to add for any who are interested. the following is taken from LITTLE KNOWN FACTS ABOUT
LOWER MAkEFIELD TOWNSHIP (Lower Makefield Township is located in Bucks County, PA. It is North and East of Philadelphia and has The Deleware River as one ofi ts' boundaries:

"Roelofs Felt and Stetson Hat Factory-

In the early 1920's Mr. Roelof owned a large parcel of land boardering on the Fallsinglon-Newtown Road and what was then Woodside Road. The railroad station was named after him This land parcel was located in front of the Mark Palmer homestead. Employment was open to all. There was however, a murder of the night fireman in 1925 - 26 and the building wasburned down to hide the crime."

I am currently engaged in research regarding the railroad in this area. As of this moment, the earliest reference I have is from The Railway Age Gazette from 1913 which documents the construction of a signal tower at Roelofs, PA. This small, but important, stop on The Philadelphia & Reading Railroad has had a number of different names through the years. I cannot imagine that it would have been renamed Roelofs if the company had not been relocated there at that time.

Last edited:

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Long overdue bump. This old Roelofs "Smile" western is more than likely pre-20's and is easily one of my favorites. Came prebashed with a very unique four sided bash which i've never had the heart to alter because of how well it suits the hat.

They were marketed as being some of the most expensive hats available in their early advertising. And after handling this hat I can easily understand why.
Roelof1.jpg
Roelof2.jpg
Roelof3.jpg
Roelof4.jpg

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice, Alex. I used to live near the old Meier & Frank warehouse in Portland. Are there any tags underneath the sweatband?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld