Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rit or Hair Dye?

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Hello all,

I bought a hat off of OFAS, and its far more ugly in person than I was hoping it would be (my wife says the same thing about me...).

While I can fix the ribbon and sweatband myself, the hat's color has not faded uniformly, and I was wondering if dying it black (to cover the original olive-drab) might help.

I have heard people use RIT fabric dye, and I've also heard some use hair dye (which makes a bit of sense). Any recommendations?

Lorne

RBH

Bartender
Lorne, have you cleaned it yet? Sometimes I have found that after a cleaning in naphta the hats color is more uniform.
As to what dye to use I have read some have had luck in coloring a hat, but I have no knowledge of what or how to do it.
Good luck!

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Washing hats

RHB,

Yes, I did wash the hat using woolite. It got the grease off, and did wonders for the cobwebbs, but the color is what it is...

Lorne

Dalexs

Practically Family
A couple of us have used RIT to redye hats.

The problem is getting a decent saturation into the felt. AND that depends on how dense the felt is.

Using black would probably be work out ok, just stick in a pot of simmering water using liquid RIT and let it sit. Stir occasionally.

I did this to a very light grey hat using black to darken it some.
It worked out fairly well, but in some areas where i tried to re-pounce it too much, the darke color snaded off. So be careful.

Some of the other guys have actually tried different colors with 50/50 success, but if you don't have alot invested in the hat, go for it.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
SonOfaPreacher said:
I have tried the hair dye method a few time and saved several dying hats. Good luck with it.
S.R.

Son, You're the only other Lounger to have admitted to it. Welcome to a very small club! :D

Thanks J.T.
I believe almost any hat is worth reviving. And it is also the fun of trying at least. I have found that the darker colors seem to take the best, lighter colors don't seem to color very even. Very strange. My be something on/in the hat preventing color from fastening.
S.R.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I am very sorry...and not -trying- to mock.

I am just sitting here imagining a whole slew of

"why yes, this hat is Dark Auburn'

"what did you use...I use Midnight Black'

color named hats....all with hair dye names.

D...easily amused, obviously

Dalexs

Practically Family
I'm curious, wouldn't hair dye be more apt to wash out easily, say in a rainstorm or something?
(he asks, not knowing anything about the stuff...)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Dalexs said:
I'm curious, wouldn't hair dye be more apt to wash out easily, say in a rainstorm or something?

The girl interrupting the thread says nope.

All "permanent" haircolor products and lighteners contain both a developer, or oxidizing agent, and an alkalizing ingredient as part of their ammonia or an ammonia substitute. The purpose of this is to:

* raise the cuticle of the hair fibre so the tint can penetrate,
* facilitate the formation of tints within the hair fibre,
* bring about the lightening action of peroxide.

When the tint containing the alkalizing ingredient is combined with the developer (usually hydrogen peroxide), the peroxide becomes alkaline and diffuses through the hair fibre, entering the cortex, where the melanin is located. The lightening occurs when the alkaline peroxide breaks up the melanin and replaces it with new color.

Thus...its -within- the fibre of the hair...regardless of whether that hair is human or animal felt....

Sure...some fading will occur over time, but you arnt shampooing your hats like we do with our hair....so sun fading would be the only real concern.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Dalexs said:
Following this thread with interest... as a stylist...
I agree with Miss Neecerie..
And when I get color stains on my clothes at work it usually never comes out, at least, not the dark colors. Unless I catch it fast and treat it many times.
Good luck!
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Another thing with the hair dye is that you would be able to brush in on, it's usually a gel or cream like consistancy. With rit I assume you'd have to dunk it in a huge tub and use hot water and such.
Nikki

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
SonOfaPreacher said:
Thanks J.T.
I believe almost any hat is worth reviving. And it is also the fun of trying at least. I have found that the darker colors seem to take the best, lighter colors don't seem to color very even. Very strange. My be something on/in the hat preventing color from fastening.
S.R.

I learned not to use the conditioner. It adds "hilights" which translates to "blotchy" on a hat.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
Just avoid the red hair dye....those are much more prone to fade then say black..

So no red-head hats, gentlemen!

So much for my plans to create a red OR for my wife to wear as a Red Hatter! :eusa_doh:

Well, I suppose there's always Rit...

Cheers,
Tom

Dalexs

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
And that was going to be my next project! :D lol

JTRed.jpg

Gee, I don't know J.T., I think you could pull it off!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld