Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retro Motorcycle Boots

Graemsay

Practically Family
Since everyone seems to be talking about motorcycles today, I thought that I'd offer a few suggestions for boots.

I'm currently looking at getting a pair of Altberg Clubman Classics. They're a high-legged boot in a retro fashion. They've got a full European CE rating as protective gear, something that not a lot of boots offer, but lack any hard armour.

clclass-b.jpg

The cost isn't bad either - if you order direct from Altberg then they cost £135, rather less than the price advertised on the website. They're hand made in Yorkshire by men in leather aprons too.

I nearly ordered a pair at the weekend, but my calves are too big for the standard fitting (that'll teach me to exercise!), so I have to wait for my leathers to turn up before I get measured.

The Hogg Highs are another possibility:

hogghighaw-b.jpg

If you're interested the Altberg site is at:

http://www.altberg.co.uk/

If Altbergs don't float your boat then might I suggest a pair of Vendramini Scrambler boots?

uno109.gif

They're probably the nicest bike boots I've seen, but don't come up in my size. Their site is at:

http://www.vendramini.com/

There are a few other companies that make retro boots.

Alpinestars produce the Super Victory, as worn by Goose in Mad Max.

SUPERVICTORYBLACK(WinCE)-400.jpg

Possibly not what a lot of Fedora Lounge readers are after. But pretty cool nonetheless.

The West Coast Shoe Company boots are beautifully made, though they're a bit too CHiPS for my tastes. I don't know how they'd stand up in a crash, but the thickness of the leather would mean that they've got a lot of abrasion resistance.

1204.gif

Incidentally, their only stockist in the Netherlands is a shop called Rob in Amsterdam. It caters for alternative lifestyles...

Their website is at:

http://www.westcoastshoe.com/

Twit

One of the Regulars
For actually riding a bike you cant beat Altburgs. I have two pairs, one normal bke boot and one the lace up bike boots. The lace up boots are basically hiking boots that are adapted for bikes.

I rode a bike from the UK to Australia and my traditional altburg boots were worn as my only shoes for a year. They were not polished etc once during that time and went through sub zero temperatures and desert temperatures. They held up fantastically, when I got home I cleaned them and they came up like new!

Another thing with Altburgs is that the factory offer a full refurbishment if they wear out. I can't recommend them highly enough!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Alt-berg.
I have a pair of hiking boots that I probably bought from them in 1997.
The Skywalk sole separated from the boot. I really should return them and have them fixed for free. I hope they have improved since then.

Check out vintage Swedish army motorcyclist boots.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld