Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retro-extremists? What are we called?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
The love of my life, with whom I plan to totter through eternity, describes me as a "stick-waving old curmudgeon" - is being slightly cranky better than being too detachedly ironic? Or am I just looking for an excuse? lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Well, isn't that what we are?

Let me rephrase your words:

"A Fedora Lounger, to offer one example, is not a person who actually dates back to the '30s (or before); a Fedora Lounger is just self-designed to appear as if he or she did."

See, this is exactly why I like "Atavist." In biology, an atavistic trait is one that reappears in the genetic path after it's supposedly disappeared, or as was used earlier in the thread, a "throwback."

Same with those of us who didn't come to our atavism as a deliberate choice -- I know I didn't wake up one day and say, gee, I think I'll adopt a "vintage lifestyle" today, the way someone else might decide to wear blue socks. Like I said before, I grew up in the cultural equivalent of a tidal pool -- and have never seen any good reason why I should change and have never had the slightest interest in changing. I'm an atavist, it works for me, and I like it.

Viola -- the tradition of the Curmudgienne is a noble and honorable one. Wear it proudly -- if it's good enough for Dorothy Parker, it's good enough for us.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Personally, I like the term "Retro" the most. It's short and simple, and most folks out there know what it's supposed to mean. I don't ever remember actually telling someone that I'm a Retro, but if I had to describe my appreciation/enthusiasm for Golden Age and Silver Age style, then that would be my most likely term to use.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Are we worried about whether other people will look down on us? Heck no!

Furthermore, we're looked down upon already: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.php?p=1242398&postcount=30

And scroll down to post #5 in this link: http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?id=6217
Yes, I was reminded yesterday, by a fellow Iowan at a music event, that we're really all just pretend pizza-chain wiseguys.
gangster-mobster-al-capone-costume-170-p.jpg
flapper%20blk.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
Yes, I was reminded yesterday, by a fellow Iowan at a music event, that we're really all just pretend pizza-chain wiseguys.
gangster-mobster-al-capone-costume-170-p.jpg
flapper%20blk.jpg

Nothin' screams costume more than that... the construction of the "suit," the overly wide-tie, the almost obvious permafelt Hallowe'en gangster hat, with a plastic or faux-leather ribbon... people here on this forum really shouldn't be mistaken for that. The gals on the right don't look very authentic either. But hey, those were meant to be Hallowe'en costumes, so...

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Correct

Carlisle Blues said:
Why Renaissance Fair?? Are they not the same as dressing vintage?? It is quite apparent that both are period dressing...[huh]

You are correct. I'm not sure why it reminds me of the Fair. That is just kind of what comes to mind. I knew some people who were really into the SCA and Paganism in college who also worked at the local Renaissance Fair. Maybe the introduced me to the term?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
To get back to the Senator's original purpose in trying to come up with the term, the main problem with "Anachronist" is precisely because it's so associated with the SCA. Not that there's anything wrong with what they do, but it's *their* brand, closely associated with their activities, and it's never a good idea to try to co-opt someone else's brand for yourself. You wouldn't do a very good job of carving out a distinctive identity for a Chevrolet by trying to get people to call it a Ford.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
To get back to the Senator's original purpose in trying to come up with the term, the main problem with "Anachronist" is precisely because it's so associated with the SCA. Not that there's anything wrong with what they do, but it's *their* brand, closely associated with their activities, and it's never a good idea to try to co-opt someone else's brand for yourself. You wouldn't do a very good job of carving out a distinctive identity for a Chevrolet by trying to get people to call it a Ford.

True. If we ran into someone to the SCA and they asked you why you were dressed funny, and you said "I'm an Anachronist." That would probably start a fight. :D

But, seriously, your point is right no the mark. Most people associate the term Anachronist with the SCA. At least where I live.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:
the main problem with "Anachronist" is precisely because it's so associated with the SCA. Not that there's anything wrong with what they do, but it's *their* brand, closely associated with their activities, and it's never a good idea to try to co-opt someone else's brand for yourself. You wouldn't do a very good job of carving out a distinctive identity for a Chevrolet by trying to get people to call it a Ford.

Not really ~~~~ Anachronism-the intentional use of older, often obsolete cultural artifacts may be regarded as anachronistic. For example, it could be considered anachronistic for a modern-day person to wear a top-hat, write with a quill, or use a typewriter. Such choices may reflect an eccentricity, an aesthetic preference, or an ethical preference. Those who do so are considered anachronistic. The term Anachronist is a term of art.

A more appropriate use of your term would be "Resurgent atavism" which is a common name for the belief that people in the modern era are beginning to revert to ways of thinking and acting that are throwbacks to a former time. This is especially used by sociologists in reference to violence.

Also Atavist is identified with the Sludge/Doom Metal genre of music with Lyrical themes speak to despair, depression, misanthropy
41260_photo.jpg

davestlouis

Practically Family
My personal take on the whole thing is this: I am on the autistic spectrum, and am a creature of habit...I like a routine, and am comforted by a lack of change. The fact that I have khaki pants and dozens of blue oxford cloth shirts isn't a desire to return to the 80s as much as the fact that I became accustomed to dressing like that, and intend to until I become permanently horizontal, I'm comfortable dressed that way.

Just as I hate to be defined as autistic, Aspergers Syndrome, autistic sociopath, goofy, etc, I hate to see this group attempt to label and define themselves...

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I like Retrophile myself. I've been using it for a long time to describe myself and I never thought of the term "retro" sounding cheap or plastic or fake, it just means "in past times". But I love the art and the design and the quality of mid-century objects but I don't immerse myself in it. I'm perfectly comfortable dressing like I do and listening to ASG on my iPod. Now that's an anachronism!

And thanks for starting this thread Jack! Best one in a long time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld