Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restored Cal Leathers Horsehide Café Racer Project- Patina anyone?

technovox

One Too Many
When I first came into possession of this jacket, it was beat to death. I mean really thrashed- tears in the sleeves, the collar was rotted out, and the leather was dry and brittle as a bone. But it was a relative bargain, and had a certain intrinsic beauty (think wabi sabi), and best of all it was a rare Cal Leathers horsehide from the sixties/fifties. So I really wanted to salvage it if I could. Total restoration project.

I took it to Gwen at Cal Leathers and asked her to work any kind of intervention or magic she had. I think her solution was to bathe the jacket in some kind of miracle cream and store it in a bag in the sun, so the jacket could warm up and absorb the oils. Amazingly when I got it back the leather was super supple and soft again. A new liner, some judicious patching, and now it’s one of my favorite classic café racers, with a second life after being brought back from the dead. I even like the sewed up repairs- kind of cool for a fifty year old hard ridden café. If it could only talk, I imagine it would tell some wild stories.

CalLeatherMain.JPG

pocket.jpg

shoulder.jpg

Sleeve.jpg

sleeverepair2b.jpg

label.JPG

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
that is amazing revival journey of a great looking jacket.
that left sleeve is crazy maybe it was worn by a left handed person

Mark

Practically Family
Must make the jacket so much more special to you than buying new. Very nice indeed.

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Nice jacket Techno!
I notice the label says Ventura.
Are they still there?
I lived there for many years but can't recall hearing about them.
Then again, there's a lot I don't know!

technovox

One Too Many
Yep. Still have it...and it's still my favorite Cal Leather jacket. Beat, thrashed and good for another 50 years- Gwen really did a good job bringing it back to life. And there's nothing like a jacket with lots of character.
If I have a chance, I'll try to take a fit pic in the next few days. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82