Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

LeeB

Familiar Face
Classic workwear

Sam's Club was selling a vintage-looking Levi's workshirt for about $12 a short while back, in a faded and dark blue.

All I can say regarding the $100 work shirt is that, if it's that much, it's not for 'work' whatever the name. Go get yourself a Dickie's chambray workshirt for $10. I recently picked one up and it's fast moving up on my list of favorite shirts.

LeeB

Familiar Face
Classic workwear

The only caveat to that would be the Red Wing boots sold by J. Crew. I have the so-called "Rugged Casuals (model #8147) and they are definately work boots. They also now sell the Red Wing model #899 (previously discontinued). I had bought a pair from a Red Wing store many years ago before that style was discontinued and they are still going strong. They have been my hiking/fishing/backpacking all purpose outdoor boots in that time.

In regards to J. Crew itself, I have been to one of thier outlet stores and picked up a couple pair of rather heavy material, flat front khakis that have proven up to rough use. The original price on them was about $60 or $70 bucks but I got them for about $15 apiece.

mattfink

Practically Family
Mossyrock said:
I mean it is EXPENSIVE. Nearly $100 for a chambray work shirt?!? Ummm, no.

BTW, where did you see the Levi's version? I can't find it.

The Levi's ones are long gone...BTW, they started out at over $100 too. Try buying one from Sugar Cane or any other quality manf.. You get what you pay for in my eyes.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
The idea of a workshirt is that its supposed to be cheap and affordable for the worker..they are meant to get sweaty, dirty and in my case covered in either gun or motor oil etc.

J. Crews shirts are nice...but I would be afraid to even go out for some light gardening with it. I got the target ones, and the dickies ones and I am going to see about the Levis at an outlet...I can get 4 shirts for what one of those J-Crew shirts cost.

As for the Japanese repops..great stuff no denying that. But again..to expensive for what they are intended for...would I buy them if I had the dough yes...but are they economical? Not so much...

Matt Fink are you a reenactor by chance? You sound like one.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
The Target and Dickies shirts lack that quintessintail work shirt feature of the chin strap.

Plus, there's some really cool features on the original shirts & japanese reproductions that aren't found on the target and dickies versions. It boils down to one of the mainstays of this site - details, details, details! ;)

Feraud

Bartender
Very true. A dropped yoke being another detail offered on some of the vintage styled workshirts.

Also, all the current retails do a bad job on their collars. They are much too small..

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
I am really getting into this retro work wear..probably a little late to the game though. The Japanese repros are often selvage, no?

mike

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Very true. A dropped yoke being another detail offered on some of the vintage styled workshirts.

Also, all the current retails do a bad job on their collars. They are much too small..

Also, the pocket watch pockets, mountain pockets, various buttons and variety of fabrics used. No argument, they are far too expensive. But if you don't buy them - who is to blame for our economy not recovering...? :p

Feraud

Bartender
mike said:
But if you don't buy them - who is to blame for our economy not recovering...? :p
I could blame the retailers for charging the same prices for garments in a recession but who would listen? ;) lol
For most of us our purchases are a double edged sword of balancing quality, details, and willingness to pay a certain amount.

mike

Call Me a Cab
it's true too...

25007.jpg

mattfink

Practically Family
GranadaGuy617 said:
The idea of a workshirt is that its supposed to be cheap and affordable for the worker..they are meant to get sweaty, dirty and in my case covered in either gun or motor oil etc.

J. Crews shirts are nice...but I would be afraid to even go out for some light gardening with it. I got the target ones, and the dickies ones and I am going to see about the Levis at an outlet...I can get 4 shirts for what one of those J-Crew shirts cost.

As for the Japanese repops..great stuff no denying that. But again..to expensive for what they are intended for...would I buy them if I had the dough yes...but are they economical? Not so much...

Matt Fink are you a reenactor by chance? You sound like one.

Nah, not a reinactor...the J.Crew chinstrap is surprisingly well made. I've had NOS chambray's that were more fragile.

Feraud

Bartender
GranadaGuy617 said:
Original? If not where'd you get it?
Repro. Not mine.

mike said:
The one thing that appears missing from all the japanese repro work wear stuff is the mixing of suit separates and hats with their work wear...

Great point mike! My company (I work in a white collar position) is doing "business casual" for the summer. The pics you posted are what I've been wearing to work. Dress pants and shoes, sport coats, workshirts, and fedora/caps. The current corporate khaki and polo shirt look is not for me.
There is always a way to get around The Man's corporate mold. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe