Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing the lining on an A2.

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen (and Ladies),

I have an A2 with the standard lining. I also carry a pistol daily and the metal has worn a hole in the lining of my jacket. I'm a bit on the fence between just tossing a patch on it and replacing it, but I was wondering who would actually do something like that? Where would one go to have a lining replaced? I'm no tailor, but it seems like it might be a complicated thing, and easy to screw up.
Any ideas?

Respectfully,

JB

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Gentlemen (and Ladies),

I have an A2 with the standard lining. I also carry a pistol daily and the metal has worn a hole in the lining of my jacket. I'm a bit on the fence between just tossing a patch on it and replacing it, but I was wondering who would actually do something like that? Where would one go to have a lining replaced? I'm no tailor, but it seems like it might be a complicated thing, and easy to screw up.
Any ideas?

Respectfully,

JB

Lots of options, depends on the A2 and your accuracy needs. You could replace the worn area by a harder wearing material like fine wale corduroy. Or you could patch it with similar cotton, or light suede, or you could replace the entire lining with a breathable poly twill. A good tailor can do this. For small repairs try a leather shop, or a local craftsy person or a tailor/alterations shop near a military base - they are usually pretty good.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Before going to a tailor !
How important or sentimental is this jacket as far as keeping it original and doing a complete overhaul ?
Do you think this jacket is worth the expense.
Would covering only the worn part which is probably less costly be better , only you would see this area .

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Hi JB
You don't mention whether it's an original or a repro, which might modify my response, but assuming that it's a repro...
If you opt for a reline, the job is more expensive/time consuming than you'd perhaps first think.
Your tailor will need to remove the lining completely and will effectively make a cotton 'shirt' based on the same dimensions. Insertion of the new 'shirt' - sewing using original stitch holes in the leather shell/attachment to cuffs/waistknit will take a lot of man-hours if it's not to look sloppy.

It's practically the equivalent of reconstructing the jacket. If it's an expensive A-2 e.g. a Good Wear it's probably worth the expense; lesser jackets might not warrant the additional dollars unless it has sentimental value. A patch or even a patch pocket internally (in the same fashion as a field mod. for a map pocket) might fit the bill? My first original A-2 (a Perry 23377) had this modification and it worked well for light/paper objects.

Good luck.

L'Onset

Familiar Face
I have a similar issue with my A2. In my case is just normal wearing by the collar area and near the waisband, also the armpits show some wearing (I carry a backpack to and fro work). I visited a seamstress and asked her if she could do the job according to some conservative specifications I gave to her. She just said she'd try hard, but I didn't find her very convincing, so I'll keep my jacket as it is now.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hi JB
You don't mention whether it's an original or a repro, which might modify my response, but assuming that it's a repro...
If you opt for a reline, the job is more expensive/time consuming than you'd perhaps first think.
Your tailor will need to remove the lining completely and will effectively make a cotton 'shirt' based on the same dimensions. Insertion of the new 'shirt' - sewing using original stitch holes in the leather shell/attachment to cuffs/waistknit will take a lot of man-hours if it's not to look sloppy.

It's practically the equivalent of reconstructing the jacket. If it's an expensive A-2 e.g. a Good Wear it's probably worth the expense; lesser jackets might not warrant the additional dollars unless it has sentimental value. A patch or even a patch pocket internally (in the same fashion as a field mod. for a map pocket) might fit the bill? My first original A-2 (a Perry 23377) had this modification and it worked well for light/paper objects.

Good luck.

Yeah, it sounds complicated but it's not. I usually pay around $100 for a brand new fitted lining in a quality cotton drill. It's a standard job. Of course, as I wrote at the start, it all depends on your A2. Few would replace a real A 2 lining without considering the work sacrilegious.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I stand corrected - that doesn't sound so expensive (the prices quoted in the UK were somewhat higher).

Mark

Practically Family
Why do you need to carry a pistol!? Only in America (or rather Alaska)!

There are many. Nobody asked the OP if he is an officer of the law, did they?
There are people (I have family like this) with ranches and carry for a number of reasons to protect themselves and their stock.
There are those that deem it something that affords them a safety net in a loony society.
There are those that like to scare the **** out fo those that might think about grabbing their watch, iPhone or wife :lol:

too much coffee

Practically Family
ButteMT61 gives very altruistic reasons for carrying. When I get dressed in the morning, strapping on my handgun is no different than sliding on my Wrangler jeans.......it's just part of getting dressed.

My summation for packin' is simple: "I refuse to be a victim"

Regards,
coffee

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Luby's Cafeteria , Oct. 16, 1991, Killeen , Tx.
Man walks in shot 23 to death & wounded 20 more before committing suicide.
I survived.
I was wondering if somebody there with a gun could've done something to prevent this tragedy.
That's what went through my mind at the time !

Luby's Cafeteria , Oct. 16, 1991, Killeen , Tx.Man walks in shot 23 to death & wounded 20 more before committing suicide.I survived. I was wondering if somebody there with a gun could've done something to prevent this tragedy.That's what went through my mind at the time !
Are you serious? Holy hell, I'm sorry you were there, but grateful you are OK.I get a little antsy over these conversations because more often than not, some anti-gun loon wants to paint a broad stroke over anyone who owns/uses/carries guns. I grew up with them and I respect them. Like anything, they're as good as the person using them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82