Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing lining of leather jacket

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen,

I have a jacket where the lining at the arm holes are slightly torn and was thinking of taking this chance to replace the entire lining to a colour of my desire. I would be grateful if someone could let me know where I could procure such services from.

I wouldn't mind options in Asia and UK.

Many thanks in advance.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
I had a similar need about 2 years ago. My solution was to contact a local shop that does tailoring. She did a beautiful job.

IOW, ask around to see who does tailoring. Ask them if they have experience in relining jackets and coats, or can refer you to someone who does.

When you find someone who claims they can do the job, ask for samples of the lining materials they use. If they don't have them, they're blowing smoke.

Ask for references if you're still uncomfortable.

Once you find your person, treat them as the fine artisan they are. You'll find that such a person will be invaluable for other tailoring needs.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
I have an older Aero with a cotton lining that looks clean, but is pretty worn. The jacket also has that distinctive used clothing smell. I haven’t gone as far as ozoning it, but the thought just occurred to me: Maybe it’s the lining.

So my question is: How much of that odor is absorbed by the leather vs the lining? My understanding is that that odor is from previous wearers’ oil, sweat, and skin (which does kind of gross me out). So maybe replacing the lining would help.

What are the group’s thoughts?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Path of least resistance first.

1. Wipe down with damp towel. Hang in sunlight for a few days
Re-Evaluate
2. Spritz with vinegar/water mix and hang in sunlight again
Re-Evaluate
3. Try hand washing the liner first. A lot of the smell might be trapped in the liner.
Re-Evaluate
4. Bucket or Bathtub wash. Use a light detergent or soap. Slosh around, rinse well. Dry in shade and/or room temperature on a hanger. Don't put in dryer unless you need it to shrink some. Once fully dry, add some conditioner.
^^^ This is probably the best I've seen here about the smell subject. It could use a pin at the top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld