Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Engineer Boots

too much coffee

Practically Family
Just scored a new pair of Red Wings Engineer Boots, product code 2971, for $140.00 in the box. Suggested retail is about $280.00. They're extremely comfortable but I can't get past the white crepe wedge soles. As FL member Griff de la Griff so elequently pointed out, in so many words, one's manliness might be in question for wearing these boots. Any comments on these boots from current owners? Any comments from anyone running wedge soles/heels? I have to admit, I've been wearing the boots for about 2 hours and they are breaking in nicely.
I guess I'm looking for some reassurance from you guys that my purchase was justified. Store manager said the reason they're so deeply discounted is lack of sales for that boot.
Thanks!

kyboots

Practically Family
Engineers

Engineers are manly boots so wear them. The white sole IS a little different, but can it not be toned down a little with polish and dirt? I wear Wesco's and have a pair of Fyre engineers as well. I love the look.I believe the sole will tone down with wearing them. Good luck! Don't let it bother you!

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
For that price even I would have gotten a pair.
Thats 4 times lower then the streetprice here.

Just wear them and get some dirt on there and be happy :)

Zanzibarstar

One of the Regulars
My brother is a union construction worker, and every year they all receive(from the union) these boots with the crepe sole for work. I think it's safe to say they're plenty manly!

JanSolo

Practically Family
Crepe is the way to go. The most comfortable material for outer soles ever! The edge of the outer sole can easily be toned down by black boot polish or black varnish that's been used for dying the cut edges on hand made or restored/resoled shoes. Any shoe repairer can sell you a small amount or will dye the edges for you. It is very abrasion resistant and durable but looks totally natural. Like it's the sole material itself that has this colour and not that's it's been covered with a thick layer of paint.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Thank you all for your votes of confidence about the boots. I toned down the white soles with Fiebings oil based tan leather dye and now they look great. I'm really happy with these boots now. Thanks again..........too much coffee out

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I bought a pair of Red Wing boots with the same sole and find the sole very comfortable to walk in, much more so than a lug sole. As the sole is regularly found on actual work boots I don't know how someone would view these as unmanly.

PoohBang

Suspended
are they like these?

2971.jpg

rgraham

A-List Customer
I bought a pair of the work boots with these soles. I bought them to help relieve some pain from plantar fasciitis. These with the addition of some inserts did the trick. Oh, and I work in them too. Really absorb the shock of working on hard surfaces.

jon z

One of the Regulars
White Wedge Soles

I love my Engineer Boots but don't have any with the white wedge soles. I do, however, have a pair of Redwing 875s with such a sole. They are great boots & I'm meticulous about keeping the sides of the soles bright & clean. I like that they are a bit unusual & in no way do I feel less than manly when wearing them. If other people think that of me because of the soles on my boots I couldn't care less. Wear your boots & enjoy them. If your comfortable in them that's all that matters.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Yes PooBang, thems the ones.........very good boot so far. Carhartt jeans B160STW drape very nicely over them; Wrangler Cowboy Cut 13MWZ fit over them adequately. Carhartt jeans B18STW are too snug over them and get hung up. These boots probably look the best when partnered with Duluth Trading Company Firehose work pants. I'm only mentioning all this so if someone is looking for this boot, maybe they can get the price reduction as well and knowing what pants/jeans would be OK.................too much coffee out

Rider

Familiar Face
I couldn't do it. I am sorry.

I wear Red Wing engineer boots on my motorcycle, and much prefer a dark sole.

Peacoat

Bartender
Rider said:
I couldn't do it. I am sorry.

I wear Red Wing engineer boots on my motorcycle, and much prefer a dark sole.

Yep. Red Wing Motorcycle boots with zipper and laces for a perfect fit. And the soles have to be dark.

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
Hey Peacoat,

I have the same boots in with the brown sole and wish I got the crepe sole. Wear them and enjoy, I love mine.

Aaron

Peacoat

Bartender
Aaronlowe said:
Hey Peacoat,

I have the same boots in with the brown sole and wish I got the crepe sole. Wear them and enjoy, I love mine.

Aaron

A motorcycle boot really needs to have the heel. If the rider has pegs, and we all ride with pegs at one time or another, a heel is a necessity. If we don't have pegs, a motorcycle boot just doesn't look right with crepe soles. Except maybe in California.

I have had several pair of motorcycle boots--currently have three pair--but the Red Wings are my favorite. Didn't take long to break in, have a steel toe for safety and they are comfortable for walking. Plus they are waterproof. Hard to beat that combination.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Peacoat is right........a motorcycle boot needs a pronounced heel and, I concur, should have a safety toe and be waterproof. Another mandated feature, if I was purchasing for bike riding, would be thick leather(6-7oz.)such as Buco, Wesco and older Chippewas. The Redwings boots that I purchased have none of these features and I wouldn't have purchased them for motorcycle riding. Unfortunately motorcycle boots and engineer boots may be labeled as one in the same. Redwings should never have marketed these boots as engineer boots. However, all is not doom and gloom...........I don't ride a motorcycle any more, I am not an Engineer, my boots are as comfortable as they can be and I don't live in California!
too much coffee out

CC-1

Familiar Face
crepe soles

The real deal about the Red Wings is that the Irish Setter models were favored by ironworkers, erectors who walk steel and rodmen who have to struggle through rebar, pan decks and so forth- they can't afford to have a heel to trip them up. Check out the pic in the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Construction_Workers.jpg
Red Wing also claimed a more stable arch and beter "feel" in the wedge sole.
I don't know when RR engineers caught on to the wedge sole if ever they did.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe