Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent Find a Mallory Open Road Style

stylinfedoras

New in Town
When it comes to hats I don't suppose I am that savvy but I do know a nice hat when I see one. So while I don't pay much mind to the intricate details of the particular style it doesn't interfere with the enjoyment of wearing them.

I found this hat last weekend at the Vintage Textile Show in Burbank for $40.00 in a size 7 1/2.

I am posting these images at the request of a fellow member Tonyb who wished to see my find. I will await the details of what it is I found.

DSCN1445.jpg

DSCN1448.jpg

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

That is a fine looking lid for a great price. Can you post a photo of the inside?

btw: You might want to put something in the "location" field in your profile. It helps people to understand you better if they have some idea what part of the planet you are on.;)

Well, that's what I've been waiting on. Thanks, stylinfedoras. Looks like a nice one. Does the sweatband give a model name, such as "The Dallas"? Does it say it's Pliafelt or Durafelt? And, does the top of the liner say "For Youthful Smartness"? I always loved that part, having once been a smart (aleck) youth (delinquent) myself. Makes me feel like they had me in mind.
I trust you'll find that hat superior to most other OR and OR-like lids. I have so many hats of that style that the Mallory gets worn only when there is little or no chance of my exposing it to soil and/or precipitation. (I know, I know, a hat you won't wear in the rain is a hat you don't use for its intended purpose. But I have a few I want to keep in great shape, and plenty of others to wear out.)
Forty bucks? Not bad, man. I'd have jumped on it, too, and then rehearsed my explanation to the Boss Lady. ("But sweetie, it's a Mallory! Don't you appreciate what a screaming deal this is! In a couple of years, you won't be able to find another like it for love nor money!") My only saving grace is that she, too, indulges her own little extravagances, and I suspect she likes that I blow a little dough every now and then 'cuz it gives her license to do the same. Wotthehell, the bills are paid.

I'm certainly no expert, but I seriously doubt it's a dud. I believe feltfan has one of that style that doesn't say anything about a model name. Mine, with the attributes enumerated in my previous post, seems to be from the early 1950s. I base that guess on info gleaned here, most of which was posted by jamespowers. I wonder if yours isn't perhaps a bit older. Mallory was a high-end hat, and that "Twenty" was their $20 model, provided they followed the conventions of the day. I suspect you'd have to go back quite a spell to find the time when a new, high-end hat sold for 20 bucks.
JP?

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
tonyb said:
I'm certainly no expert, but I seriously doubt it's a dud. I believe feltfan has one of that style that doesn't say anything about a model name.

I have a Mallory with a similar ribbon, certainly.
Looks like you have a lighter felt, though. A very
nice hat. Love to see the inside. Does it say
"Premier" or "Aristocrat"?

Depending on how old it is, a "Twenty" is probably
a very high quality hat. If it's a Mallory without the
"Stetson" name it's from the 50s at least, so it would be
a very good quality hat. Remember that in the 40s
you could get a very nice hat for $10.

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
That's a great hat any way you look at it, but particularly for that price in a 7 1/2! Check the prices they have been going for on eBay, and you will smile every time you put it on.

stylinfedoras

New in Town
Here are a couple of images of the inside of the hat.

DSCN1450.jpg

DSCN1451.jpg

As you can see the inside is quite clean. If I had to nit-pik a bit on this hat I would rather that it had a little bit wider brim. Some hats can be irksome in trying to put just the right bends on a brim and narrow ones can compound that problem. This weekend I am going to work a bit more on this hat as it is somewhat short of the look I desire.

stylinfedoras

New in Town
I would agree that it just doesn't have the look of an old hat on the inside. But I can tell you that the quality is there as the felt on this hat is much heavier than on lets say a Royal Stetson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally