Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Re-bash the Stylemaster?

rrog

A-List Customer
Spats McGee said:
I'd suggest opening up that front pinch just a little. You've got a fairly square face & the front pinch came out looking a little too pointy. I'll be interested in seeing how it looks if you follow the suggestions of these other fellows. Bear in mind that I'm awfully fond of the Stylemaster as it comes out of the box, but I do think the diamond may work very well on it.

Yeah, maybe the point I'm missing is the shape of my face and head. (no pun intended :) ) I was going for a very crisp-looking front, with matching side dents. I was using my Stetson Fargo as a model, but come to think of it, that one has a more bluntly shaped front. It also has a tear drop crown, so maybe I'm trying to combine too many different styles. I'll try to work on it some more tonight. And I appreciate all the input. Your comments are very helpful.

rrog

CRH

Call Me a Cab
rrog said:
Yeah, maybe the point I'm missing is the shape of my face and head. (no pun intended :) ) I was going for a very crisp-looking front, with matching side dents. I was using my Stetson Fargo as a model, but come to think of it, that one has a more bluntly shaped front. It also has a tear drop crown, so maybe I'm trying to combine too many different styles. I'll try to work on it some more tonight. And I appreciate all the input. Your comments are very helpful....

I have confidence that this one will end up in the Diamond Authority thread :cool2:

that hat...

I've struggled with wanting to order the style master, but I was in the same predicament. anytime I wear a hat that has taper, I look like humpty dumpty. I'm pretty much resolved myself to straight sided feds and campdrafts.

have you tried putting the hat back in to an open crown? can you post pics if you have any?

I'd go for "light" dents that have a good amount of spade between them and may a center crease on top.

any pics of different styles would be appreciated.

has anyone told you you look like Jerry from ER?

rrog

A-List Customer
I was in the same predicament. anytime I wear a hat that has taper, I look like humpty dumpty.
Gee, that doesn't sound too flattering.

I'm pretty much resolved myself to straight sided feds and campdrafts.
And that's a bad thing?

can you post pics if you have any?
I worked on it some last night but haven't yet taken any pics. I'll post as soon as I get them.

has anyone told you you look like Jerry from ER?
First Humpty Dumpty and now Jerry from ER?!? :eek: Well since I've never seen Jerry from ER, I don't know whether to be offended or flattered. :D

rrog

let me rephrase...

rrog said:
First Humpty Dumpty and now Jerry from ER?!? :eek: Well since I've never seen Jerry from ER, I don't know whether to be offended or flattered. :D

rrog

ok, now re-reading the post, that didn't come off the way I wanted it to. I have found for me personally, that if the hat has as much curvature in the crown as I do in my cheeks and chin, I remind myself of an egg, hence the humpty dumpty comment. not saying its a bad thing, just maybe not the best look for me personally.

I love the look of the style master, bound edge, thin"er" ribbon. I just wish it had a slightly fuller crown, so it would look better on me.

hopefully there was no offense taken.

rrog

A-List Customer
I've been compared to a lot of things in my time, but a movie star has never been one of them. I guess I can take that as a compliment. Thanks very much RFF.

rrog

rrog

A-List Customer
Re-Bash 2nd Time Around

Here are the pics of the 2nd attempt at re-bashing my Stylemaster. I think the ultimate outcome is that I've mainly made the crown into some kind of diamond shape. The side dents and front crease are not nearly as radical now as they were after my 1st attempt. Also, the lighting is really different. I took the pics in two different rooms. The side shot seems to show the truest color of the hat, which is EA's mid gray.

100_1055.jpg
100_1057.jpg

100_1059.jpg
100_1056.jpg

Thanks to all who gave advice and input.

rrog

CRH

Call Me a Cab
rrog said:
...The side dents and front crease are not nearly as radical now as they were after my 1st attempt. ...

Feel free to handle that one by the front pinch or any way you like there, RR.

... Oh, I see you already have :rolleyes:...:)

Personally, I never miss a chance to fondle the Akubra Imperial felt after a rain soaking, and I've been doing that on a regular basis lately, especially with my willow green Squatter... - so much so that I recently woke up from a dream to make sure that it wasn't - no it can't be...

... oh, good... it's not a flat top :whistling

ValEag

One of the Regulars
rrog said:
The side dents and front crease are not nearly as radical now as they were after my 1st attempt.

I like the looks of this one much better rrog. The taper from front to back is nice.

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
It really does look good on you. I like that diamond bash a lot -- can we get a direct overhead shot?

Can't wait to play around with my own Stylemaster due in any day now from HatsDirect.

rrog

A-List Customer
How's this shot?

marvelgoose said:
It really does look good on you. I like that diamond bash a lot -- can we get a direct overhead shot?

Can't wait to play around with my own Stylemaster due in any day now from HatsDirect.

100_1054.jpg

rrog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld