Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random idea I just thought of

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Strange, I think you've hit the nail on the head. It certainly reflects my experience with a 92 year-old father.

Mark

Practically Family
I do not know anyone who is into leather jackets or has ever expressed an interest in them after seeing me in mine. I am kinda glad really as it only adds to that "special" feeling one has when wearing a cool/expensive jacket. besides last thing I want is to see every other guy with one on!
I do not believe there are many folks out there who cannot afford a good jacket if they really wanted one. Save-up, that's what I do! There is always ebay as well of course.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Strange, I think you've hit the nail on the head. It certainly reflects my experience with a 92 year-old father.

Yup bang on.

I think as jacket enthusiasts we have to be objective when it comes to how others, including veterans, view jackets. Most of the old boys who flew and fought in them really couldn't give a damn about stitch counts, accuracy of patterns, or generally how close to originals repros are. They flew and fought in them but for them they were a tool, a piece of kit. Yes something that they may have been fond of but I'm still to see a vet fussing over flying jacket small details like we would. They had bigger things to worry about. I've been lucky to meet and talk with a number of RAF, RNZAF, RAAF WWII veterans and everyone I have, when they saw a piece of flying kit would say "Oh, I remember that" but would quickly move onto a story or recollection and really didn't seem to have a huge interest in bit and bobs - apart from the aircraft they flew/worked on. All the ones I met valued photos and memories far more.

Whilst it's an admirable idea, in all honesty I think a genuine vet from WWII would for example be just a pleased with a G&B A-2 as a GW. I think as jacket aficionados we sometimes place more emphasis on accuracy than others, including vets, do.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I do not know anyone who is into leather jackets or has ever expressed an interest in them after seeing me in mine. I am kinda glad really as it only adds to that "special" feeling one has when wearing a cool/expensive jacket. besides last thing I want is to see every other guy with one on!
I do not believe there are many folks out there who cannot afford a good jacket if they really wanted one. Save-up, that's what I do! There is always ebay as well of course.

When I was in Chicago last year, a young guy stopped me and asked where he could get the same type, so it's not unheard of.

Are you suggesting leather jackets for the organization 'Wounded Warriors'..or am I missing something..?? I think their needs may consist of something a little more wounded or handicap specific.
HD

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Are you suggesting leather jackets for the organization 'Wounded Warriors'..or am I missing something..?? I think their needs may consist of something a little more wounded or handicap specific.
HD

What I'm thinking is, essentially finding someone (Wounded Warrior came to mind, I'm open to any ideas), sitting down with them in person or through email, showing them all of the jackets, letting them choose one and going over fit, and I/we make it a reality. It doesn't have to be Wounded Warrior. If people are intereted in this and even simply know someone who is disadvantaged, or for whatever reason, would like a jacket, maybe we can discuss here. I probably should have done that before emailing WW, but I simply asked if they were open to something like that.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I think offering substantive support with health related issue or access to primary care services might be more useful. Maslow's hierarchy of needs springs to mind.

Mark

Practically Family
Sorry but this thread just gets sillier, why on earth would a wounded soldier want a leather jacket?! Surly priority must be health care, both physical and mental, followed by employment.

Mark

Practically Family
Nicki, I see what you are getting at, no need for apologies. perhaps I was being a bit unfair. Of course you want to share a little good feeling/vibe to those less fortunate. I get that. I am guessing that perhaps you are younger than me and there for likely full of hope and dreams of a better world and so on. Where as I am an old (ish) cynical so and so!
All the best to you and do not let the likes of me put you off what is a generous and kind idea.

No, no! It's a good thread, just that what the others have said is true - the vets don't really give a rats ass about any of that crap we discuss here at such lengths. Not as much, at least. My country's been through a war relatively recently, and most vets remained soldiers at heart and have (had) trouble letting go of... such way of life, so what happened was that for example we've had a sudden increase of Americana inspired motorcycle clubs comprised entirely of war vets. But even though they're all riding Harley's and wearing patches, you still can't get any of these guys genuinely interested in a quality leather jacket as they try to spend as little as possible on such things. So long as the jacket looks like a Perfecto, or a 'Top-Gun jacket' if the person had actually took time to note the difference - and trust me, most people don't see it - hey, who cares. Rightfully so, perhaps, as even the cheapest Made in Pakistan MC jacket will give you years, decades perhaps of use, so there's really no point trying to explain the benefits of, I don't know, vegetable or chrome-tanned, turbo thick top grain front quarter horsehide jacket over something else. Hell, I'm not sure I see it myself...

We're overpaying for this stuff but it's the life we chose... Fact is, style is the only difference between this place and the Styleforum.

I still think this is a good idea for someone who's really into this hobby and unable to support it.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Nicki, I see what you are getting at, no need for apologies. perhaps I was being a bit unfair. Of course you want to share a little good feeling/vibe to those less fortunate. I get that. I am guessing that perhaps you are younger than me and there for likely full of hope and dreams of a better world and so on. Where as I am an old (ish) cynical so and so!
All the best to you and do not let the likes of me put you off what is a generous and kind idea.

No worries. I'm actually very cynical myself. But I believe there are (pun) pockets of optimism/excitement in an otherwise lackluster world. Jackets being one of them. I'm going to brainstorm, and will report back with any ideas. I suppose a reason I brought it up here was that something good like this could add value to our little scene, even if it's a small deed. But again, I should have kept this one to myself instead of throwing my ideas everywhere.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
No, no! It's a good thread, just that what the others have said is true - the vets don't really give a rats ass about any of that crap we discuss here at such lengths. Not as much, at least. My country's been through a war relatively recently, and most vets remained soldiers at heart and have (had) trouble letting go of... such way of life, so what happened was that for example we've had a sudden increase of Americana inspired motorcycle clubs comprised entirely of war vets. But even though they're all riding Harley's and wearing patches, you still can't get any of these guys genuinely interested in a quality leather jacket as they try to spend as little as possible on such things. So long as the jacket looks like a Perfecto, or a 'Top-Gun jacket' if the person had actually took time to note the difference - and trust me, most people don't see it - hey, who cares. Rightfully so, perhaps, as even the cheapest Made in Pakistan MC jacket will give you years, decades perhaps of use, so there's really no point trying to explain the benefits of, I don't know, vegetable or chrome-tanned, turbo thick top grain front quarter horsehide jacket over something else. Hell, I'm not sure I see it myself...

We're overpaying for this stuff but it's the life we chose... Fact is, style is the only difference between this place and the Styleforum.

I still think this is a good idea for someone who's really into this hobby and unable to support it.

I don't mean to single out vets, but I thought of them first because there already might be an interest, at least on the flight jacket side. And I'm terribly moved by the Wounded Warrior commercials. I know people are thinking it's unecessary, but honestly, if you weren't into jackets, but had a nice one show up on your doorstep, I think you'd be impressed. Imagine getting a Goodwear, not knowing anything about it, and then looking up the jackets online, and learning how special it was. It would be a great gesture.

Hey..I happen to be a wounded Vet. Send me a brown goat Aero Rockafeller...Size 42..length 26 1/2'...Sleeve 26 1/4' and I'd be impressed,surprised,and absolutely appreciative forever. Seriously ;)
HD

Hey, I want one too! I'm not as picky as HD, though - a nice black Cafe Racer will do! With chest pockets. Chain pulls on zippers, if possible. Talon, of course, none of that YKK crap. Brass. Oh, and bi-swing back.

Hey, I want one too! I'm not as picky as HD, though - a nice black Cafe Racer will do! With chest pockets. Chain pulls on zippers, if possible. Talon, of course, none of that YKK crap. Brass. Oh, and bi-swing back.

Nope. I'm more wounded than you..surely. Plus..not even sure that you are a Vet. May need to see your papers,Monitor..:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82