Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vodzilla

New in Town
You should try a size 38. There are usually a ton of them on ebay both WWII and post war.

Sounds like you need a size 38. There usually are a ton of 38s both WWII and post war on ebay. I have two WWIIs both size 46 or 46 Long. They are both very rare sizes. I'll be posting photos very soon of the one I just bought a couple of weeks ago.

I thought about sizing up but I feel doing so will present me with issues in vertical length as well as sleeve length. I will try to post a fit pic to better get my point across. Thank you.

Vodzilla

New in Town
A size 34 normally has a p2p of 19". I know that isn't consistent, but that's just the way it is. I have measured, and had measured, a bunch of size 34s. Vast majority had 19" p2p. Some maybe closer to 18". Those small sizes don't follow the pattern we would expect.

I have a green deck jacket that looks like that one. It is impermeable. It is a warm jacket. I wear it around the farm when the rain or snow is cold. It keeps me dry and warm. The Navy has good cold weather gear.

I see. How much bigger is a size up in terms of overall length, sleeves and shoulder width?

Re green deck jacket aka A2: I love it and I usually wear it on my early morning or evening walks. :)

spoonbelly1950

Familiar Face
20230502_130508.jpg
20230502_130205.jpg

Attachments

• 20230502_132109.jpg
    20230502_132109.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
  • 20230502_131712.jpg
    20230502_131712.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
  • 20230502_130726.jpg
    20230502_130726.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 72

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
SUPER nice!!
I have two from ‘68 that must have shrunk while in the closet… 46 is a harder to come by size! Been on the look out for a 44 on the Bay, on and off, I still hope to whittle my self back down, but enough to see most are in the 38 and 40 sizes, with a few 42s in the mix.
Love that Kersey wool!

spoonbelly1950

Familiar Face
SUPER nice!!
I have two from ‘68 that must have shrunk while in the closet… 46 is a harder to come by size! Been on the look out for a 44 on the Bay, on and off, I still hope to whittle my self back down, but enough to see most are in the 38 and 40 sizes, with a few 42s in the mix.
Love that Kersey wool!
I think I saw some 44s on ebay today

coelophysis

New in Town
Hi guys I have a question. I recently bought a ww2 peacoat and there is no name on the tag. That made me wonder why some military issue coats don't have names in general. Is it that the person who it was issued to simply never bothered to write their name in? Could it have been military surplus that was purchased by a civilian?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Hi guys I have a question. I recently bought a ww2 peacoat and there is no name on the tag. That made me wonder why some military issue coats don't have names in general. Is it that the person who it was issued to simply never bothered to write their name in? Could it have been military surplus that was purchased by a civilian?
Not sure about all military but if not ordered to, as was in Boot Camp for me, why bother??

Answer: smart guys know it’s harder to wear a stolen jacket if someone’s name is on it.
Key word being smart guys.
But then….
B

Vodzilla

New in Town
Sleeves are long, but otherwise it looks good. If you have the sleeves shortened, please ask the tailor to save all of the extra material inside the cuff. That way when you sell it and someone like me with long arms buys it, they can let the sleeves out again.

Thanks for the tip. :)

coelophysis

New in Town
Did WW2-era peacoats come in short and long sizes? Or did the length of the coat correspond directly with the chest size? I'm looking for one with a 20 inch pit-to-pit but they have all been 31+ inches long so far.

spoonbelly1950

Familiar Face
Did WW2-era peacoats come in short and long sizes? Or did the length of the coat correspond directly with the chest size? I'm looking for one with a 20 inch pit-to-pit but they have all been 31+ inches long so far.
I don't know if this helps but - A 20 inch pit to pit should yield a size 38 (chest) peacoat. 38s are probably the most common size. I have 2 WW2 peacoats. I'm pretty sure they are both size 46, or possibly 48. The sleeve length on both is 26 while the body length on both is 34. I believe these two are 1 inch longer in the sleeves then my regular length size 46 peacoats. They are also 1 inch longer in body length then my regular size 46 peacoats. I think it would be safe to say that Long sizes existed back then. Unfortunately most of the size tags are missing on most WW2 era coats. And also unfortunately Long sizes in WW2 peacoats are Very Rare!!
{

Last edited:

coelophysis

New in Town
I don't know if this helps but - A 20 inch pit to pit should yield a size 38 (chest) peacoat. 38s are probably the most common size. I have 2 WW2 peacoats. I'm pretty sure they are both size 46, or possibly 48. The sleeve length on both is 26 while the body length on both is 34. I believe these two are 1 inch longer in the sleeves then my regular length size 46 peacoats. They are also 1 inch longer in body length then my regular size 46 peacoats. I think it would be safe to say that Long sizes existed back then. Unfortunately most of the size tags are missing on most WW2 era coats. And also unfortunately Long sizes in WW2 peacoats are Very Rare!!
{
Thanks for your input, yeah I imagine short and long sizes existed back then but I couldn't be sure. It sucks how, as you mentioned, most of the coats are missing size tags, and the coats that did indicate the size on the breast pocket tag didn't have an S, R, or L next to them.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for your input, yeah I imagine short and long sizes existed back then but I couldn't be sure. It sucks how, as you mentioned, most of the coats are missing size tags, and the coats that did indicate the size on the breast pocket tag didn't have an S, R, or L next to them.
I imagine when originally issued the coats probably had detailed size tags attached but were removed either by the sailor on receiving the coat or the supply sergeant when handing over the coat. I have seen unissued wartime items in books etc which have extra tags attached (either by staples or string) which would obviously have been removed before use, so I imagine the same sort of thing applied to peacoats too.

coelophysis

New in Town
I imagine when originally issued the coats probably had detailed size tags attached but were removed either by the sailor on receiving the coat or the supply sergeant when handing over the coat. I have seen unissued wartime items in books etc which have extra tags attached (either by staples or string) which would obviously have been removed before use, so I imagine the same sort of thing applied to peacoats too.
Oh I see, peacoats having extra tags attached does sound plausible. Thanks for your reply, time for me to keep searching for a short coat.

spoonbelly1950

Familiar Face
The size tags were square tags which were sewn right under the coat hook. My two coats have the sewing stitches still intact. If you look on your coats you will probably find them also on the top of the lining right under the hang up hook (loop). I've only seen a couple of coats with these tags on ebay.

Peacoat

Bartender
The size tags were square tags which were sewn right under the coat hook. My two coats have the sewing stitches still intact. If you look on your coats you will probably find them also on the top of the lining right under the hang up hook (loop). I've only seen a couple of coats with these tags on ebay.
I call these tags Inspector tags as the name of the inspector signing off on the garment is at the bottom. During WWII most were inspected by J. O.* They are made of what feels like heavy paper, and are the first thing to deteriorate on the coat. It is handy to have the size in that location as the supply clerks can easily find the size they are looking for.

In boot camp, they first measure the recruit, determine the size he needs, and then pick out the proper size peacoat. Simple to find the size by just looking at the tag in plain view and not have to open the coat to find the tag on the inside breast pocket.
_______
* If I were a true researcher, I would have researched J. O.'s back story and presented it as an addendum. Alas, I will leave that for another researcher in another time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe