Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for why you're here?

Flora

Familiar Face
We all know that there's a lot to love about the 40's, 50's, etc.... but what is it that mostly attracts you to these eras? The music, the fashion, the history.... what? Please answer and do explain :D

I personally would say it's the fashion. Women's fashions were really beginning to shine.

be_lovely

One of the Regulars
I am here because one nite my dad and mom were bored, and, well, got busy sometime in the winter months, and I came around Sept, 74.

Seriously tho, I have always had an interest in antiques, vintage clothing, classic movies, and all of that good stuff, and when a friend introduced me to the lounge, I was happier than a pig in ______.

Now I can share all my corny questions and comments with people just like me, and maybe even meet a few peeps in person.

:p

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Why did I stay here?

Flora,

I would formulate my reasons rather like that way: because of the the people. It is really so nice folks, and polite.

Unlike on other forums where people hide behind anonimity and behave (write) on subhuman levels. This has to do also with the fact that that in the Golden Era there were manners. Also in the relations with the two genders. You see here that men celebrate Ladies beauty besides their talents and still in a way that nobody gets offended.

The diversity also bears a multitude of knowledge so I never saw so many good answers to any kind of topic. And the photos...on art history or natural history or simply on any topic.

Other: since this Era is so versatile, you can find all aspects of life at FL. And you can see that people here really do some work and invest brainworks in their posts, which is sheer joy to read. And also: the creativity in this population seems definitely above-the-averge.

It helped my personal development too, I dont stair at my own posts anymore all the time...:D

BTW: I visited Syria and Jordan back in 1994. It ws with a university group for the first week, but we re-scheduled our flight back and had 2 weeks for us with my friend.
Fabulous sites: Aleppo, Damascus, Krak de Chevaliers, Latakia. Amman, Jerash, Petra, Dead Sea, Red Sea...etc. etc. I just miss that we couldn't visit Palmyra. The most terrific journey in my life so far: 2 poor Hungarian students strolling with rucksack in the deserts, sleeping on rooftop 'hotels'.

Cheers:

Tom

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I like the movies, music, and the overall "look" of the 1920s and 1930s. I love the dresses, hats, and hairdos. I love that the two back-to-back decades were completely different from each other.

Movies and music both made great technolgical changes during these short 20 years. Very interesting to me. I'm slightly obesessed with the coming of sound and the Production Code. It's so interesting to me to see a creaky talkie from 1930 and compare it to a super-production of 1939.

And since I have a soft spot in my heart for tragedy, I am fascinated with the Great Depression and all those stories you hear of silent stars who didn't make it in the sound era.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think for me it goes deeper than fashion and style, although I certainly appreciate those aspects of the Era. For me, it's more a personal connection because of the way I was raised -- I've just never been able to understand or appreciate in any way the aggressive loutishness that's so much a part of the modern culture. I didn't want to be part of it when I was a kid, and it's even worse today -- and I understand it even less now than I did then. The Lounge is a respite from that -- a place where self-discipline and a sense of what's appropriate are considered virtues instead of character flaws.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Community...

For some of us, I think we can all agree that it's a sense of community. I know that is part of it for me. On some front, it originally was also my need to seek out people that really understood what it was like to be out there in vintage style where modern people at first look at you strange. It's almost as if I belonged here because there were so many people with simliar tastes that it was comfortable.

FG.

S

Samsa

Aesthetics (or dandyism, if you will) brought me here, and the people are what kept me here.

P.S. Flora: I like your song.

ShortClara

One Too Many
I'm here because of the beauty of the era. I love a lot of things about modern times, but I appreciate the class, style and manners of times gone by. I live in L.A., and it's a rather rude place. Snotty people, terrible spandexy fashion, and little humor. I like choosing to ape an era full of wit and beautiful fashion. Fashion Paris Hilton would never wear.

And this is a super nice chat room - many chat rooms are full of crazy trolls. This place doesn't really have that. :)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Why am I here?

The cars, the fashions, the artifacts, the stories, the ethics. . . . Mostly, though, the people.

When I was a child, my mother would tell me that civilization will end when bad means good and good means bad. I think we've very nearly reached that apex, what with criminals being praised as heroes and police doing their jobs reviled as villains. Society as a whole has gone topsy-turvy.

The Fedora Lounge, on the other hand, is patronized by people who care about each other. I've seen it many times here in the Lounge. We reach out to each other, even though continents may separate us, rather than encapsulating ourselves and going into a tirade anytime someone comes close. We welcome new people as though they're long-lost pals who've just come back into our lives. We're civil, even when we disagree. We've become neighbors. In other words, we're respectful. Good still means good.

I came here by pure chance. I've stayed because of the people.

Lee

"With the increase in crime during the past decade has come a corresponding increase in crime prevention. Or perhaps it is vice versa." - Robert Benchley

S

Samsa

Flora said:
I'm not Christian but thanks :)

I'm a little baffled at what Christianity has to do with it?

Sorry, I fear I have moved this thread way :eek:fftopic:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The Fedora Lounge Mission Statement - Thanks

:eusa_clap
MrNewportCustom said:
The Fedora Lounge, on the other hand, is patronized by people who care about each other. I've seen it many times here in the Lounge. We reach out to each other, even though continents may separate us, rather than encapsulating ourselves and going into a tirade anytime someone comes close. We welcome new people as though they're long-lost pals who've just come back into our lives. We're civil, even when we disagree. We've become neighbors. In other words, we're respectful. Good still means good.

Plus we have a few laughs - sometimes at each other!

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
cookie said:
:eusa_clap

Plus we have a few laughs - sometimes at each other!

Ah yes. I forgot about the occasional bit of ridicule. It's what makes this place shine. lol

Lee

"Tell us your phobias and we'll tell you what you're afraid of." - Robert Benchley

Flora

Familiar Face
Samsa said:
I'm a little baffled at what Christianity has to do with it?

Sorry, I fear I have moved this thread way :eek:fftopic:
Peter Paul & Mary thing reminded me of the Bible. Sorry, I'll stop there. [angel]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe