Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about vanson?

Here's mine(hvy competition steer). one of my favorite jackets. Very comfortable on the bike or street.

IMG_0329.jpg

HD

IXL

One Too Many
Onstar, based on the content of your thread that was locked, call Insurrection Leather. I recently received a Vanson model B from them. They are easy to deal with, while Vanson can sometimes be a bit "challenging."
Good luck

philosophy101

A-List Customer
onstar,

I've seen both types of Vanson leather in person at their factory recently. Here's what I can report:

While they call the Firenze "medium" weight, it's pretty heavy. The "competition" weight is VERY heavy.

The Firenze, while not a smooth finish, can be rather shiny as well; both "pebbled" and shiny, but this varies from batch to batch. Some of the Firenze leather has more of a "matte" finish.

The finish on their "competition" (heavy) weight also varies. When I was at their factory last week I saw jackets with "competition" weight finishes that ranged from (on one end of the spectrum) very smooth and shiny, showing virtually no grain, to (on the other end of the spectrum) those that showed much more texture and were less shiny. The smoother finishes also look blacker.

Be aware that if Vanson doesn't have the item you want in stock you may be in for a long wait for your order (months).

I've looked at the Insurrection web site, and the ones that they have seem to be of the smooth and shiny variety (heavy weight). Insurrection might be the quickest way to go if you like what they have in stock.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I have the Firenze leather on a Teton (that Vanson had in stock when I called) and the "competition" weight in an Enfield I got on Ebay. Firenze is less substantial and I say to definitely go with the competition. But I'm not sorry I got the Firenze in this particular jacket, on Kim's recommendation. The Teton is a lot of 3/4 jacket, with a full compliment of armor, so I think it would be too too heavy if it didn't have the lighter leather. It's funny. When I got the Teton, I thought it would be the only jacket I'd ever want and need. That didn't exactly turn out to be the case, but with it's armor, fantastic venting and room for layering if need be, it's still my #1 jacket for wearing on the bike. Of course when I'm going out to lunch, it's a bit much. Some pix of the Firenze leather and the Teton with its venting for those interested.

Teton1.jpg

Photoon2012-01-04at12442.jpg

Photoon2012-01-04at1244.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82