Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality/Reputation

TheGreyPiper

New in Town
Hey everybody! Pretty new here, and just less new to wearing this classic style of hat. (I'm a bagpiper, and have worn Glengarry and Balmoral bonnets for 35 years, but only when kilted up of course.) So I'm starting slow, lower end, and after I'm confident with sizes and such, my first higher echelon new hat is going to be a Dobbs Strand.

Anyway, I know that Dorfmann Pacific makes a lot of the brands (including,I believe, Bailey, one of the "better" names), but was wondering what the general sense is between Stacy Adams and Scala. A lot of their styles seem virtually identical and both are made in China, but was curious if one or the other was considered better, either in some qualitative way or in the cachet of the name.

Speaking of "better" brands, just curious -- I wonder if someone here just scored a brown Borsalino off of Ebay the other day. Don't recall the style now, Allesandro maybe? Anyway, just curious, I'd had a bid in at $49 that stood for about 3 days, then literally in the last 45 seconds about 6 different people more than doubled it. Which I'd rather expected -- I really wasn't expecting it for that price and didn't plan on going nuts over it. So that's all, just wondered if it's still around here somewhere! But I'm keeping an eye out on a couple of vintage numbers over there, already nailed an old Stetson Sovereign -- looks good, including the sweatband, even if the lining is gone.

But that was the main question I guess -- of the modern makes, how do they all stack up? Thanks much to all!

Razzman

One Too Many
It's call sniping, when several bidders place bids at the last possible moment of the auction. If you don't want to wait and watch there are programs availble for such purposes. You can determine what the highest price you are willing to pay for an item and submit it, if you don't win at least you know that you bid only what you were willing to pay. As far as brands, there any many. Vintage fedoras on ebay are plentifull. Stetson, Dobbs, Portis, Adam, Knox, Borsalino, Champ to name just a few. You can also find a few custom hatters such as Art Fawcet of Vintage Silhouette, majormoore from Buckaroo Hats off the top of my head. I'm sure somebody will give you a list of the rest. This is quick as I'm on my way to work. There are modern Stetsons. Surf around this web site you'll find a wealth of information and the willingness of other to share their knowledge of hat. Good luck and welcome to the lounge.

Hello Grey Piper,

All 5 of my brothers-in-law are pipers, and my wife used to do Highland Dancing. Welcome to the lounge.

I don't know much about the modern hats, had a few cheapy wool ones in the past, then picked up some fur felt modern Stetsons which weren't bad. Then I discovered Ebay and it was all over. About 95% of my hats now are vintage, I like the felt, and the character of the older hats. If you wear a small-medium size, such as 6 7/8 to about 7 1/4 you can find a slew of vintage hats on Ebay. You have to remember the popular Borsalinos and Stetsons (such as Whippets and Stratoliners) will go for higher prices.

Good Luck

fashion frank

One Too Many
Welocme to the Forum.

Hey everybody! Pretty new here, and just less new to wearing this classic style of hat. (I'm a bagpiper, and have worn Glengarry and Balmoral bonnets for 35 years, but only when kilted up of course.) So I'm starting slow, lower end, and after I'm confident with sizes and such, my first higher echelon new hat is going to be a Dobbs Strand.

Anyway, I know that Dorfmann Pacific makes a lot of the brands (including,I believe, Bailey, one of the "better" names), but was wondering what the general sense is between Stacy Adams and Scala. A lot of their styles seem virtually identical and both are made in China, but was curious if one or the other was considered better, either in some qualitative way or in the cachet of the name.

Speaking of "better" brands, just curious -- I wonder if someone here just scored a brown Borsalino off of Ebay the other day. Don't recall the style now, Allesandro maybe? Anyway, just curious, I'd had a bid in at $49 that stood for about 3 days, then literally in the last 45 seconds about 6 different people more than doubled it. Which I'd rather expected -- I really wasn't expecting it for that price and didn't plan on going nuts over it. So that's all, just wondered if it's still around here somewhere! But I'm keeping an eye out on a couple of vintage numbers over there, already nailed an old Stetson Sovereign -- looks good, including the sweatband, even if the lining is gone.

But that was the main question I guess -- of the modern makes, how do they all stack up? Thanks much to all!

Hello and welcome to the Forum.
Isee that you play and so do I , and that we also live close to each other.
I play in the rhode Islande highlanders . www.rihighlanders.org

I also "snipe" and get some reaally good deals .

Again welcome aboard and good luck.

All the Best Fashion Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe