Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper Suit Care (Vintage and Modern)

Justdog

Practically Family
Suit care

farnham54 said:
Hey gents,

I figured there is not a better place in the world to post this question, so here it goes.

I'm looking at purchasing a new suit, a pinstripe black which fits like...well...fits like a suit should! :D However, they are asking 350 bones for it (which is out of my price range at this point in time). But, the salesman said "A suit like this will last 10 years, easy, if you take care of it).

That got me wondering: What exactly is the best way to care for a suit? I'd assume keeping it clean, but how often should a suit be cleaned? What about general wear and tear? Chime in with your thoughts on the subject and advice!

Cheers,

Craig

How often should I dry-clean my suit?

The less, the better. Dry-cleaning does a great job on a suit that's dirty, but it's hard on the fabric and shortens the lifespan of the garment. Try asking your cleaner to simply give your suit a pressing. Or, when travelling, hang it in the bathroom while you shower and the steam will help remove the wrinkles.
Couple tips

cookie said:
My dry cleaners (not for me - other rich bar stewards) suggest dry clean to remove skin oil etc and then wash them.

You could well have them drycleaned instead of laudering them. I do that for my Aloha shirts. In my experience, it keeps the color from fading. They are not as pressed looking as when they have a nice heavy starch on them though. :( ;)
Oh and drycleaning not only removes those things but kills just about anything that might be living in the cloth---fleas etc, etc. :eek: :D
I dry clean any suit I sweat in or smoke in. That is not very frequently but if I wear a suit all day and do not change when I get home then it is usually worthy of cleaning---yes even vintage. I haven't killed a suit yet doing this. :)

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Anyone Used Wet Cleaning?

Has anyone tried this 'wet cleaning' process? I'd like to send a few of my recent purchases in for a cleaning before I wear them, including this tweed overcoat, and am looking for the least damaging method.

There's not much wrong with it, just some light stains on the lining. After the first cleaning, I'll continue with a brush.

Regards,
- Steve

Andykev said:
Dry vs. Wet cleaning:

Wet Cleaning
October 2000

If you have any of the rebel—or cheapskate—in you, you've probably been tempted to ignore the "dry clean only" label at one time or another. Perhaps more than tempted if you've heard anything about perc (perchloroethylene), the solvent used by 90% of American dry cleaners.

This toxic chemical can cause headaches, nausea and memory problems, is associated with various reproductive disorders and is a suspected carcinogen. While the workers at dry cleaning establishments, and their neighbors, are at highest risk from exposure, customers may also be affected. When perc gets into the air and water, everyone can suffer.

Until recently, there was no alternative that was safe all around—for your health, the environment, and your clothes. But now, you can have your clothes professionally wet-cleaned.

Like home laundering, wet cleaning involves immersing garments in water (instead of a chemical bath), followed by drying and finishing. But wet cleaners' machinery is different from yours. Theirs controls the elements most responsible for shrinkage—water temperature, agitation and drying—in ways that yours can't match. Their expertise is also superior, enabling them to customize treatment effectively to specific fabrics and stains.

Preliminary research indicates high rates of customer satisfaction with the way clothes turn out. People say they look as good as dry-cleaned garments—and smell much better.

Depending on where you live, availability could be your biggest obstacle. If you can't find a wet cleaners nearby, ask your dry cleaners if they do wet cleaning too. You'd be surprised how many do.

Unfortunately, the cost of wet cleaning is comparable to dry cleaning, so switching won't satisfy the cheapskate in you. But the rebel (and the do-gooder and the health nut) should be happy. And the clothes horse shouldn't mind a bit.

SteveN

One of the Regulars
thunderw21 said:
I'm too lazy to read through this thread so here's a link to some tips that might not have already been mentioned.

http://mrlapel.blogspot.com/2008/09/hang-em-right.html

Thanks Thunderw21. I'm specifically looking for experiences with the 'wet cleaning' that was referred to above.

I'll do dry cleaning if I have to, but if this technique is as good as people say, then I'd rather try that.

Been searching for such a place in Sydney, but haven't found one yet.

Cheers,
- SteveN

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I'm thinking about storing my winter wool clothing safely over the spring and summer.

Has anyone got any recommendations for ventilated garment bags? Makers, brands? One you like? Ones you've used but been disappointed with?

Thanks

CP

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
This is what I've been using for 20+ years.They come in all sizes from single suiters to full wardrobes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe