Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Project Navin Aero Jacket #2 now underway...

OneStar

New in Town
I'm trying to picture Andy's idea of leather extending into the interior lining from the cuff... basically if I were to look at my cuff I would see leather going further back into the inside of the sleeve... what's the advantage of doing this?

Hi Navin,
I had the leather extended inside my Highwayman cuffs and it worked a treat. I'd highly recommend it. Following is an image to give you the idea.

IMG_2617.jpg
[/IMG]

Like with a leather strip across the bottom of the jacket, this ensures you never get "lining sag" from the cuff opening.

Cheers,
Richard

Navin323i

Practically Family
Back now from my week long Bermuda cruise trip

apba1166 said:
Navin, so THAT explains the new jacket project...I once did ten days on that stuff, and found myself belting out Hamlet to nothing but four walls in the middle of the night....walking up and down the driveway 100 times singing every song I knew...or simply pulling books off all the shelves and carrying them all over the house in big stacks to different shelves.

Sorry for the late reply... just got back from the cruise I went on with my family. Sorry to hear you were on this medication. I will NEVER take this medicine again. I can finally walk again after having had my knee drained of a lot of blood a total of 4 times (4th time they drained 165ml of blood). Since that time my knee hasn't swelled up again so I should be good now. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
OneStar said:
I'm trying to picture Andy's idea of leather extending into the interior lining from the cuff... basically if I were to look at my cuff I would see leather going further back into the inside of the sleeve... what's the advantage of doing this?

Hi Navin,
I had the leather extended inside my Highwayman cuffs and it worked a treat. I'd highly recommend it. Following is an image to give you the idea.

IMG_2617.jpg
[/IMG]

Like with a leather strip across the bottom of the jacket, this ensures you never get "lining sag" from the cuff opening.

Cheers,
Richard

Hi Richard! Thank you so much for your picture and great explanation... it makes sense to me now... definitely a great idea to prevent the lining sag that I do see to some extent on my other leather jackets.

Was there an extra charge to have the leather extended inside the cuffs?

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
My $0.02

Navin

First off, get well soon! Knee injuries are no fun at all...

Second, why not look at some of Aero's midweight horsehides or goatskins? I know you don't want to get more than one horsehide jacket, but if your knee is injured, maybe the lighter weight would be a nice change? I currently have a 1930's half-belt in midweight, AND a 30's bootlegger in FQHH. Believe me, the midweight is quite lighter! Food for thought, but I can see the appeal of only having a single horsehide jacket, particularly as this one means so much to you...

As far as the lining goes... are you talking about the silky gabardine, or the cotton twill lining? I have a LHB with the regular cotton twill, which is scratchy and cold, IMO. That being said, my latest 30's halfbelt came with the sleeves lined is a very soft twill that almost felt like moleskin. Might be something to ask for...

I apologize if some of these suggestions have been made already, I only really tried to respond to the original post...

Best of luck, and don't forget to post pics!

RP

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Navin,
I am sorry to hear you've been hospitalized and I hope you get well soon.
Prednisol or prednisone is a "monster" medication. Take your time and do not rush your recuperation.
Also, good luck with your project!! This monday Aero will be back in office I believe ;) .
Andy

OneStar

New in Town
Navin323i said:
Hi Richard! Thank you so much for your picture and great explanation... it makes sense to me now... definitely a great idea to prevent the lining sag that I do see to some extent on my other leather jackets.

Was there an extra charge to have the leather extended inside the cuffs?

Hi Navin,
I was charged 50 pounds for the strip across the inside bottom of the jacket, but no extra for the inside of the cuffs. It does make the cuffs quite thick, but I don't mind that.

Navin323i

Practically Family
RP McMurphy said:
Navin

First off, get well soon! Knee injuries are no fun at all...

Second, why not look at some of Aero's midweight horsehides or goatskins? I know you don't want to get more than one horsehide jacket, but if your knee is injured, maybe the lighter weight would be a nice change? I currently have a 1930's half-belt in midweight, AND a 30's bootlegger in FQHH. Believe me, the midweight is quite lighter! Food for thought, but I can see the appeal of only having a single horsehide jacket, particularly as this one means so much to you...

As far as the lining goes... are you talking about the silky gabardine, or the cotton twill lining? I have a LHB with the regular cotton twill, which is scratchy and cold, IMO. That being said, my latest 30's halfbelt came with the sleeves lined is a very soft twill that almost felt like moleskin. Might be something to ask for...

I apologize if some of these suggestions have been made already, I only really tried to respond to the original post...

Best of luck, and don't forget to post pics!

RP

Hi RP!

Thank you so much for your message and good wishes on my recovery. My knee is definitely feeling better but still weaker than my good knee... I may look at physical therapy to try and strengthen it, plus I'm scheduled to see a hematologist to make sure that my bleeding issues in my knee was indeed truly due to the reaction between Prednisone and the blood thinning medication I'm on (Coumadin).

Your suggestions are all excellent. I'm definitely looking at doing something more lightweight this time around. I've heard that the aged tan steerhide is lighter than the other steerhides that Aero sells... weight of the aged tan steerhide is about equivalent to the midweight horsehide that you mentioned.

When you say "cotton twill lining" is that the same as the cotton drill cloth lining? I do have the cotton drill cloth lining in my Aero NYPD jacket and so far I've had no issues with the lining scratching or irritating my skin.

I will definitely post pics. :)

Navin

Navin323i

Practically Family
andy richards said:
Hi Navin,
I am sorry to hear you've been hospitalized and I hope you get well soon.
Prednisol or prednisone is a "monster" medication. Take your time and do not rush your recuperation.
Also, good luck with your project!! This monday Aero will be back in office I believe ;) .
Andy

Hey Andy!

Thank you so much for your kind wishes, bro. Thanks for the good wishes on my project too. I know this will be a fun project and something new and different... provided of course that Aero can make this project a reality. Thanks for the heads up on Aero being back in the office now... I will shoot Amanda an email momentarily. :)

Navin

Navin323i

Practically Family
OneStar said:
Hi Navin,
I was charged 50 pounds for the strip across the inside bottom of the jacket, but no extra for the inside of the cuffs. It does make the cuffs quite thick, but I don't mind that.

Thanks for the info, Richard. :)

Interesting point you made about the cuffs being quite thick. If someone were to see your jacket in person would the cuffs look noticeably thicker than the rest of the arm sleeves?

OneStar

New in Town
Navin323i said:
Thanks for the info, Richard. :)

Interesting point you made about the cuffs being quite thick. If someone were to see your jacket in person would the cuffs look noticeably thicker than the rest of the arm sleeves?

No, from the outside it looks perfectly normal. It's just while wearing that it feels thicker.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Guten Tag Navin,

all the best for you and your knee. you should really do physiotherapy as soon as you can. i was a professional sportsman and have made best expirience with physiotherapy after beeing injured. from my point of view the best physical therapy is only 50%, the rest is hard work.

but comming to the topic. the jacket you are looking for has normally zipped sleeves, so i do not know if it is advisable to thick th cuffs. it would be very uncomfortable to close the zipps and to wear the jacket closed. perhaps it would be helpful to go to a Vansons or other MC-jacket dealer to try on a Comet or an other Cafe Racer jacket.

Take care

Oliver

Navin323i

Practically Family
OneStar said:
No, from the outside it looks perfectly normal. It's just while wearing that it feels thicker.

Thanks for the clarification... this definitely sounds like a worthwhile thing to do for my next jacket. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
Gancho said:
Guten Tag Navin,

all the best for you and your knee. you should really do physiotherapy as soon as you can. i was a professional sportsman and have made best expirience with physiotherapy after beeing injured. from my point of view the best physical therapy is only 50%, the rest is hard work.

but comming to the topic. the jacket you are looking for has normally zipped sleeves, so i do not know if it is advisable to thick th cuffs. it would be very uncomfortable to close the zipps and to wear the jacket closed. perhaps it would be helpful to go to a Vansons or other MC-jacket dealer to try on a Comet or an other Cafe Racer jacket.

Take care

Oliver

Guten Tag Oliver!

Thanks for your message here. I will definitely look at physical therapy for my knee plus I have a few simple exercises that the doctor gave me to do at home that should help me too.

What specific sport were you a professional sportsman for? My congratulations to you on that accomplishment. :)

That's an excellent point you made about the sleeve zipper... I didn't think about that at all. Either I will forget about doing the added leather in the cuff idea or maybe I'll consider not having zippered sleeves.

Where do the zippers on the sleeves wind up being situated on Aero's cafe racer jackets? I know that the Schott cafe racers have the zipper in what appears to be an annoying place near the palm of the hand when fully zipped... it's annoying because if you were to drive your car with the jacket on then that zipper pull tab winds up coming in contact with the steering wheel. I prefer the zipper to be on the outer side of the arm so that the zipper pull tab won't come in contact with the steering wheel.
Hopefully I didn't confuse anyone here. :D

Navin

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hi Navin (glad to whrite your mane right thist time:)

the zippers are outside the sleeves. So no problem while driving. The sleeves of the cafe racer, like the rest, are very trimfit. You can not put on the jacket with zipped sleeves. a rafe racer must, from my point of view, fit like a second skin. you definitely need the swing back to feel confortable. the jacket has to fit like a second skin. Like this:http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=40306&highlight=cafe+racer[/EMAIL]

My sport was fencing. I did it for over 20 years and took part on many international competitions. It´s not a sport you earn money with, only recognitions. I trained 4-5 time a week, but never reached my dream to go for Olympic games. Now I have switch to dance Argentian Tango. It´s quite nicer to do something with a partner (specially with beautiful woman) than to be always in a fight.

Regards

Olli

Navin323i

Practically Family
Gancho said:
Hi Navin (glad to whrite your mane right thist time:)

the zippers are outside the sleeves. So no problem while driving. The sleeves of the cafe racer, like the rest, are very trimfit. You can not put on the jacket with zipped sleeves. a rafe racer must, from my point of view, fit like a second skin. you definitely need the swing back to feel confortable. the jacket has to fit like a second skin. Like this:http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=40306&highlight=cafe+racer[/EMAIL]

My sport was fencing. I did it for over 20 years and took part on many international competitions. It´s not a sport you earn money with, only recognitions. I trained 4-5 time a week, but never reached my dream to go for Olympic games. Now I have switch to dance Argentian Tango. It´s quite nicer to do something with a partner (specially with beautiful woman) than to be always in a fight.

Regards

Olli

Haha! Yeah, I noticed you spelled my name right this time. ;)

Very cool about the fencing as well as the Argentinian Tango.

Thanks for the info about the Aero sleeve zipper location and for the pics as well. Good point about the sleeves needing to be trimfit. Given the sizing changes that Aero did on my first Aero jacket to accomodate my disproportionate tummy area, they might have to make my jacket a bit less trimfitting than the norm which would make my jacket sleeves less trimfitting as well.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Greetings Gents,

I have a question for the U.S. members here who have ordered their Aero jackets directly from Aero Scotland... being that this will be the first time I'm ordering a jacket directly from Aero Scotland, how much should I expect to pay in regards to Customs fees and duty tax? How much did you all pay for customs fees and duty tax if any?

Thanks,
Navin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe