Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s Stetson Westerns

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Thank you fellas. This is the first 3x logo in this style that I have seen as well.

Thank you for the correction Alan!

Any ideas what the A.E. Might stand for in the stamp on the sweats reverse?

Diminutive No.1 Quality - 1920s

This is the smallest and lightest Stetson No.1 Quality I have handled... very soft and flexible felt, the hat weighs 3.8 ounces. 5 1/2" crown, brim not quite 3" before the pencil roll brings it to about 2 1/2". The 1/4" ribbon is scaled down from usual 3/8" to complement the smaller profile.

smallno1_1.jpg

smallno1_2.jpg

smallno1_3.jpg

smallno1_4.jpg

smallno1_5.jpg

smallno1_6.jpg

smallno1_7.jpg

smallno1_8.jpg

smallno1_9.jpg

041914.jpg

Thanks Perry and Craig... was just visiting to copy the link - glad you found it.

It does help to have a wee head - especially on the old stuff.

This is the smallest and lightest Stetson No.1 Quality I have handled... very soft and flexible felt, the hat weighs 3.8 ounces. 5 1/2" crown, brim not quite 3" before the pencil roll brings it to about 2 1/2". The 1/4" ribbon is scaled down from usual 3/8" to complement the smaller profile.

Gorgeous! That is a stunner, Alan.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
This is from an edition of the Daily Los Angeles herald., January 22, 1884

It shows that the 1X quality designation goes back as far as 1884 and most likely even earlier.

Stetson Real Nutria Fur

My third example of this hat posted to this thread... though all are in excellent condition, I think this one is closest to new. The brim retains its original flanging and stiffness. The crown shows no memory of an earlier crease. Unfortunately the LOTXXXX stamp is missing digits, but I expect it was made in the 1920s to 1930. 7" crown, 4" brim curled to 3 1/2". Hard to know how old the horsehair braid is, but it is a nice one.

realfur3.jpg

realfur4.jpg

realfur5.jpg

realfur6.jpg

realfur7.jpg

realfur8.jpg

realfur9.jpg

realfur10.jpg

realfur1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads