Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre- 1940s Stetson dress hats.

fedoracentric

Banned
I've always wanted one of those really high bowlers form the 1890s. I've only seen one that was for sure on ebay. But the problem is, it's hard to tell in the photos. I mean, perspective on photos of bowlers just sitting there can be very misleading. Sometimes they look taller than they are in the pics.

And even with my fascination with the idea of owning bowlers, I can't imagine wearing one any where! LOL

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
This one was documented by Alan on page 27, but I think it deserves to be posted again.

ta8ajusa.jpg

y9ezegud.jpg

uvy9e6ym.jpg

anugehu8.jpg

zaby4azy.jpg

e3yvusyh.jpg

5y6u4a3u.jpg

uvadazaz.jpg

It's an interesting one. Interesting that the ribbon is original. I suspect it belonged to a Purdue fan (close-ish to Purdue colours), and that it might have been worn to watch sports. (IIRC this is the one sold in Lafayette, IN, home of Purdue?)

This hat initially came to me as an email inquiry from the museum http://www.thehatmuseum.com/

I answer emails and curate for this museum in Portland, Oregon.

The gal wanted to know what she had and what it was worth - was in the attic of the house she bought. I contacted a few potential interested parties here and she listed it on ebay anyway. The winning bid belonged to a former member here (long since banned for political rants). He recently listed it on Ebay and I took it home. So its been an interesting and familiar piece. Yes, the ribbon is original!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Super, Josh. Great hat, very unusual marks and parts!

Sure would like a peek at the LOTXXXX number if you can glimpse it safely.

Thanks Alan! Its my very first extra quality and I have to say, the finish of the felt is velvety smooth.

I looked for the lot number, but its completely illegible. The only thing I can see clearly is the word "Stiff."

The reorder tag really surprised me though.....its unlike any other tag I have seen from Stetson. And luckily the original size tag was tucked neatly under the sweatband bias tape, so its in mint condition.

Beautiful derby! :eusa_clap

Thanks, Richard!

fedoracentric

Banned
That is a first on that size tag. Then again, that liner et al is a rare one. Never seen the like.

It is weird that on bowlers Stetson had far more variety of size tags, re-order tags, and the like than on the fedoras and westerns we've seen. For instance, your size tag looks nothing at all like the keyhole tag or the round stickers on fedoras. And I've seen that rectangular sort of tag on other Stetson bowlers but never on a fedora or western of that era. I have also seen other, odd looking re-order tags on bowlers that don't look like those on fedoras and westerns.

So it makes me wonder, did Stetson have jobber shops outside Philly that made bowlers for them?? Did Stetson hire out the production of bowlers to other hatters to meet the high demand for them between 1890 and 1920? After all, that seems to be the era where furnishings differ on existing examples and bowlers were most popular. Maybe the Philly factory couldn't keep up with demand so they hired out for a few years??

What say you fellers? Does that seem likely?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82