Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Just received today - I highly encourage anyone with a 7 1/4 + 1/16 noggin to give any hat offered by M_Jones a very close look! I haven't been this excited to see a hat in at least a week or two :)

AvenueSideUnB.jpg
I like the hat. The brim binding and stitching looks quite ironed Homburg-ish.(Wider on underside and visible row of stitching inside on top).

4258645092_90274474f6_o.jpg

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll play devil's advocate on this one - it was meant to be a homburg and should've stayed that way. The brim will never quite snap right without a complete re-flange [huh]

Other than that, the colors are matched well

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:

Wow, Scott -- that is fantastic! Any chance you could post photos of the rest of the sweat? In particular -- is there a photo that would show that this model is the "Avenue"?

The "Avenue" by Stetson was not a Homburg model. In addition, there are certainly examples of Stetsons where the binding is wider on one side than the other -- with a resulting isolated row of stitching on the side with the narrower binding. For example, check out this Stetsonian, featured in pseudo-Homburg mode:

1951 The edge binding is wider on the underside of the brim, with a narrower binding and row of stitching on top ...

51Stetsonian-Peacock.jpg

Here is a shot of the underside of my 3X Vogue -- no reason to believe that this treatment could not have been reversed (as it was in the Stetsonian above), yielding exactly the kind of look on ScottF's lid.

Stitching.jpg

Beautiful lid, Scott! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Chinaski

One Too Many
I have to say Scott F's Vitafelt is quite interesting. I didn't pick up on the homburg cues but Garrett obviously did. It must be that fine line of stitching seen on the top of the brim, and the overall look. Based on Garrett's knowledge I was ready to concede "homburg" and then Jimmy came in with additional info. This, in a nutshell, shows the value of The Lounge! A+ to Garrett and JtL:eusa_clap

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Chinaski said:
I have to say Scott F's Vitafelt is quite interesting. I didn't pick up on the homburg cues but Garrett obviously did. It must be that fine line of stitching seen on the top of the brim, and the overall look. Based on Garrett's knowledge I was ready to concede "homburg" and then Jimmy came in with additional info. This, in a nutshell, shows the value of The Lounge! A+ to Garrett and JtL:eusa_clap

Just walked in and read all this - very interesting.

Garrett was being 'tongue-in-cheek', alluding to past 'Homburg conversion' threads/posts such as the ones about Downey's Holmes hat.

This one was never a Homburg. If I thought I could get a Homburg to look like this, I would be buying cheap Homburgs and converting them.

I like Vita Felts a lot. The felt on this one is in fantastic shape, but the old Playboy Vita Felt I had, while somewhat traumatized, still had a great feel to the felt. (I felt the felt and the feeling felt fantastic)

Mr. Paladin

ScottF said:
Just received today - I highly encourage anyone with a 7 1/4 + 1/16 noggin to give any hat offered by M_Jones a very close look! I haven't been this excited to see a hat in at least a week or two :)

AvenueSide.jpg

I like it no matter how it started life! :eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

Samuel said:
This hat is something I just picked up, I re-did the ribbon and bow one solitary night. I couldn't stand the last bow and ribbon color so I got this one to match my favorite suit. I also re-bashed it over some kettle steam.

DSCN0147.jpg

Notice the snow in the hat picture it just fell today in Atlanta :)

Well done, sir! Very nice ribbonand bow work! :eusa_clap

rollercap

New in Town
New Akubra - Cattleman

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I am looking forward to learning about Hats from the members of this forum.

On 05 January 2010, I got my new Akubra Cattleman in Tanbark Brown, my first serious hat. Ordered it from Aussie Bush Hats and Oilskins on 04 Oct 09. They provided great service and were quick to reply to my emails. They informed me at the outset that it will take 10-12 weeks as it was a colour that was not normally in stock. I changed my size after 2 days and they said no problem. I asked them to inscribe my name or initials on the inside of the hat and they said they do not offer that service. No big deal.

My hat cost me $AUD 100 and Shipping to London, England was $AUD35. Net landed cost $AUD135 or £78 (approx) as UK customs did not charge Duty or VAT.

I am pretty happy with the hat and thanks to members of this forum whose posts inspired the confidence to purchase an Akubra. I received invaluable advise in terms of using hat strips and not going into panic mode if the new Akubra initially fit loose.

A day after the hat arrived (06 Jan 2010) we had a record snowfall in London ( by our standards) and I decided to let the snow get acquainted with my new Akubra. No baby sitting this hat.:D

I have put up some pictures of the hat as brand new and out in the field. If anyone is looking to purchase a Cattleman Akubra, I hope these pictures help you decide.

Cheers.
%3Cuntitled%3E6.jpg

%3Cuntitled%3E2.jpg

IMG00108-20100107-1357.jpg

IMG00106-20100107-1356.jpg

Photo%2062.jpg

billyspew

One Too Many
rlk said:
I like the hat. The brim binding and stitching looks quite ironed Homburg-ish.(Wider on underside and visible row of stitching inside on top).

4258645092_90274474f6_o.jpg

It is, but I echo what Jimmy says - I don't think it is a Homburg, nor the one depicted.

Edit: OK, should have read the rest of the thread before posting! Great hat by the way Scott. I love my Vita-Felts!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Nice hat and dog!

Rollercap:

That's a great looking hat and a great looking dog, too!

It's funny how some dogs react to hats, but others just take them in stride.[huh]

Anyway, congratulations on both. I'm sure they will both be good to you.:eusa_clap

rollercap

New in Town
Sam Craig said:
Rollercap:

That's a great looking hat and a great looking dog, too!

It's funny how some dogs react to hats, but others just take them in stride.[huh]

Anyway, congratulations on both. I'm sure they will both be good to you.:eusa_clap

Thanks Sam Craig. The dog is a red and white irish setter. He took the hat in his stride. When I have it on he thinks we are ready to go out !!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe