Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
djgo-cat-go said:
After a wait of almost two months (! :eek: !).. my Stetson Playboy arrived!! I'm the happiest man alive!! What a hat, it was probably never worn, making it a NOS 7 1/2, can you believe that!? The felt is so soft and pliable, I creased and uncreased it about 20 times without leaving marks, amazing. The colour is a moccha-brown, so I expect the obvious Indy-remarks on the street.. but.... WHO CARES!! I have a vintage Playboy!! Did I allready mention that I'm the happiest man alive?..it was worth the wait. I almost gave up on it, considering it a loss.. I'm so happy!! :D :D :D

I know whatcha mean, man. There's something truly exceptional about those unlined old Playboys. The felt is just sooooo light and pliable. I've yet to find anything, including those old lightweight roll-up Borsalinos, that quite compares.

And the style is just RIGHT, you know? The proportions and the profile and all hit all the right notes. They're great lids, and that they are rare, at least in comparison to many other sought-after vintage models, makes 'em all the more special.

Finding one in such fine shape is indeed enough to elevate one's mood. I suppose that the very thinness of the felt explains their relative scarcity, seeing how the Playboy model had a long and presumably successful run. It seems a reasonable speculation that most of them got literally worn out (holes at the front pinch, etc.) and thrown away, rather than consigned to the attic or closet or wherever.

HatSoup

Familiar Face
New hat.
cimg1097a.jpg

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aureliano said:
The next one with my lovely wife and my Guerra 1855 "Fellini":

DSC03919.jpg

Two great shots Aureliano! You are a great-looking couple! Now that the ice is broken, you should have no trouble for the next one. Those are both very nice hats and you weear them well.

Mr. Paladin

djgo-cat-go said:
After a wait of almost two months (! :eek: !).. my Stetson Playboy arrived!! I'm the happiest man alive!!
IMG_2289.jpg

Congratulations on that one, it is indeed a beauty! Great color and style is very "you". :eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

rlk said:
3837683830_64c8a2a94e.jpg

"Self-Conforming"...ROL(nick)BY(er) and Crown over logo, but doesn't say Resistol anywhere. Light, thin and floppy felt like a Stratoliner but a little more satin finish. 2-3/4" brim and for once the hat is blue(more so than photos show) in reality not brown or gray! Needs a C & B desperately a little dirty and limp. Sold by The Wardrobe Store for Men of San Jose, CA.

Very interesting hat rlk. Is it the refurbished and re-marketed side of the original Resistol line?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Deeds Hatter New York

3840642294_24ab7e2416_b.jpg
3840642534_b98cc72ffb.jpg
3840642120_c45fa4b12a.jpg
3840642864_5f9f7f27fe.jpg
3840740480_89c655cebe.jpg
3839855291_e8a936685d.jpg
3839853439_05b59a7751_o.jpg

2-1/2" brim appears to be a felted-in edge with decorative top stitching. Underside is smooth and shows no stitching. No lining and unreeded sweatband says nothing but Deeds Hatter New York and appears to have been split at the seam by some ones stretching attempt.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I think what Lefty's trying to say is that there are various patented overwelts where the stitching does not go all the way through the brim, which is a possiblity here.

Since HTML code is off, my table is a mess and you can't see the different patents very easily.

Brad

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Paladin said:
Two great shots Aureliano! You are a great-looking couple! Now that the ice is broken, you should have no trouble for the next one. Those are both very nice hats and you weear them well.
Thanks fo the kind words Mr. Paladin.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
I think what Lefty's trying to say is that there are various patented overwelts where the stitching does not go all the way through the brim, which is a possiblity here.

Exactly. It might be a cav edge with decorative stitching, but it might be a pressed and sewn welt as well. There's a thread somewhere in which Dinerman explained them to me and we posted a few examples. I'll see if I can find it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe