Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Rusty and Bolt! (Hey Bolty, you've got to get to one ofe these so we can meetcha'.)

This Goldsmith's hat is a little smaller in the brim departement than I usually like and has the center crease crown which only works for me on some hats. But I like it.

The grey Dobbs that it is like had gotten a little out of shape and I haven't worn it in ages. This hat showed me how I should tweak it in order to get its proportions back to that which I would wear. Kinda' got two hats out of the deal when I look at it this way. :)

GWD

One Too Many
Champ Milan Porkpie and Stetson Waco

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I'm very pleased with this one, it's like brand new.

This Stetson is very interesting, I kinda gave it an "experimental" diamond bash.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
HUZZAH!

GWD,

That Stetson looks like an oldie. Beautiful liner pleating and interesting absence of actual Stetson branding in the crown.

The felt looks very smooth, crisp and dense like and old Borsalino.

Is is unreeded?

My unsolicated opinion; Diamond bashes are great - and you did a nice one - but this hat seems so 'classic' that it's crying out for a center dent.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice one, Gene. Let's see it on your head when you're done with it. Love the wide binding and ribbon. Nice catch!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got this one in today. This is it open crowned. The leather band that was around the crown disintegrated, unfortunately.

IMG_9649.jpg

IMG_9654.jpg

IMG_9653.jpg

IMG_9655.jpg

IMG_9656.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Jimmy, Bob and Rusty.

Hey Dinerman, cool old Stetson. You seem to be seeking out the really old westerns lately.

The dress fedoras that languished in closets and attics for decades are great for us when we are seeking a vintage hat in new shape - but the kinds of hats you've been scoring lately...they got around. If they could only talk, huh!?

G

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
HarpPlayerGene said:
Hey Dinerman, cool old Stetson. You seem to be seeking out the really old westerns lately.

The dress fedoras that languished in closets and attics for decades are great for us when we are seeking a vintage hat in new shape - but the kinds of hats you've been scoring lately...they got around. If they could only talk, huh!?

G

Thanks, yeah, I've been finding them as of late, and have been lucky enough to get them for prices I'm willing to pay.
As to the condition, despite looking a little grubby and having some mothing, it's surprising how sound this one is. The sweatband's still soft and supple some 80 years later. All the stitching is good. The ribbon's all in great shape.

The felt on this hat is pretty heavyweight and thick, really feelks like it could take some serious abuse. And really, this hat isn't too far from a later fedora, with the wide binding; flanged brim. Only thing which really distinguishes it from a fedora is that the stovepipe crown flattens out quickly without much of a "dome".

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
That's an interesting old Stetson, Dinerman. It looks well-loved. The block looks very squared off...I'll be interested to see what kind of bash it takes.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
OK, here's a couple of new ones on the way.

I think the Borsalino is one of the roll-up "pocket hats". Hey Bolthead, you've got one of those dontcha? Does this look like one of those to you?

The Champ O.R. clone looks like a good color and I'm anxious to shape it up.

S7300094.jpg

S7300095.jpg

S7300096.jpg

------------------

158263252_o.jpg

158263881_o.jpg

158263274_o.jpg

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
HarpPlayerGene said:
OK, here's a couple of new ones on the way.

I think the Borsalino is one of the roll-up "pocket hats". Hey Bolthead, you've got one of those dontcha? Does this look like one of those to you?

That looks like a Borsalino roll-up. I have a couple. The liner looks right and the sweatband shouldn't have any plastic wire support. (I know there's a name for that, but I can't think of it.)

I also have a spare triangular "coffin" box that they came in from Borsalino. PM me if you want it.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice Gene.....

So, you're the one who got that Champ, eh? :eusa_clap

Nice Borso too.....yeah that's a rollup, mines just a Pocket, the difference being the sweatband. Yours is cloth, mines leather.....other than that, they're fairly similar.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Craig Robertson said:
That's an interesting old Stetson, Dinerman. It looks well-loved. The block looks very squared off...I'll be interested to see what kind of bash it takes.

it seems to be wanting an oreana crease, which gives it an interesting look; very rugged. I'm going to see if I can try to salvage the leather band and buckle that was around the crown, maybe try gluing some thin leather to the back of the places it broke. It looks a lot different with that band on.

Gene, that's a beautiful borsalino. I've had a couple pockets but never a vintage one with a ribbon sweatband. That should be a handy one to have, and I wouldn't hesitate to roll it; the flet should be able to take it, just make sure there's no thinning at the top of the crown from previous repeated rolling.

duggap

Banned
Gene, from the what it worth dept, I am not convinced that is a roller. First, it has a liner in it and they usually don't if they are a roller, and second, that model has been in their line for several generations. Kind of an old staple. I may be wrong, usually am.[huh]Sorry, just noticed that isn't a leather sweat. Must be a roller.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
duggap said:
Gene, from the what it worth dept, I am not convinced that is a roller. First, it has a liner in it and they usually don't if they are a roller, and second, that model has been in their line for several generations. Kind of an old staple. I may be wrong, usually am.[huh]

My borsalino rollers, minus the new one (which was lousy in just about all regards), all have liners. Mine all have leather sweats, though. They're unreeded, and roll pretty easily, but because they're leather, they take up more space, so they don't roll down as tight as I would think a ribbon one would. They go down small enough to fit in their triangular box, but not much more. Which model are you talking about? I don't see any model name on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe