Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Love it! The first picture in particular has a real Monty Python air about it.
IMG_6649.gif

MikeinRome

Practically Family
1950's Collins & Fairbanks. 2 3/4 inch Cavanagh Edge brim, 5 3/4 inch open crown. This hat was made by Lee Hat Co. Just guessing, I'd estimate this about a Twenty or $20 hat.
Crofut & Knapp apparently copyrighted or were licensed to use the Collins & Fairbanks name and logo sometime prior to 1901, according to this item on hat trademarks from The American Hatter, August 1902 and a similar article in a 1901 issue of The American Hatter.

Attachments

• IMG_20240609_144839_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240609_144839_HDR.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20240609_144902_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240609_144902_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
A package arrived from the Netherlands with 4 Barbisios. Etsuko was also thrilled to get the Borsalino that Stefan @steur threw in as a bonus.
A few quick iPhone snaps.
IMG_1064.jpeg

The first one from around 1980 (all dating according to Stefan’s guesstimates).
IMG_1067.jpeg
IMG_1068.jpeg

The other three were sold as a set (I say sold, but given away would be more accurate).
The one I was most interested in from the late forties to mid fifties.
IMG_1070.jpeg
IMG_1071.jpeg

It has a pretty grotty lining. I was thinking about just removing it altogether and wearing it unlined. I do need more unlined felts.
The other two from the mid-fifties to early sixties.
IMG_1073.jpeg

This one also has a (not quite as) grimy lining.
IMG_1077.jpeg

Nothing wrong with the lining on this one.
IMG_1083.jpeg

I will be ready for Stngymas this year!
I was fully aware of the lining issues at the time of purchase, so not a surprise.
Finally Etsuko’s new Borsalino. Some (not particularly visible) holes in the brim, and a dirty patch on the underside of the brim (also unlikely to be noticed). Etsuko’s very pleased with it.
IMG_1082.jpeg

All of the hats fit well. Thanks again to Stefan for his generosity.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
A package arrived from the Netherlands with 4 Barbisios. Etsuko was also thrilled to get the Borsalino that Stefan @steur threw in as a bonus.
View attachment 620135
View attachment 620136 View attachment 620137
The other three were sold as a set (I say sold, but given away would be more accurate).
View attachment 620138 View attachment 620139
It has a pretty grotty lining. I was thinking about just removing it altogether and wearing it unlined. I do need more unlined felts.
View attachment 620140
View attachment 620141
View attachment 620144
I was fully aware of the lining issues at the time of purchase, so not a surprise.
Finally Etsuko’s new Borsalino. Some (not particularly visible) holes in the brim, and a dirty patch on the underside of the brim (also unlikely to be noticed). Etsuko’s very pleased with it. View attachment 620142
You know it's going to be a good day when a box arrives from the Dutch hat-enabler.

Great haul, Gary. Looking forward to seeing head shots. The Borsalino is perfect for Etsuko.

View attachment 620135
View attachment 620140
View attachment 620141
View attachment 620144
Finally Etsuko’s new Borsalino. Some (not particularly visible) holes in the brim, and a dirty patch on the underside of the brim (also unlikely to be noticed). Etsuko’s very pleased with it. View attachment 620142
Great new additions for you and Etsuko!

View attachment 620135
View attachment 620140
View attachment 620141
View attachment 620144
Wow, that was quick! Five hats in one go: I was really proud of myself and all my wife said was: "now you just need to get rid of the rest of them!". See what I'm up against? ;)
Wear them in good health and I'm glad the red one got the seal of approval; should get you out of the hot water!

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
I’ve just gone ahead and removed the lining from this one.
IMG_1098.jpeg
IMG_1100.jpeg

It was really pretty gross. Grimy to the touch.
IMG_1099.jpeg

I may try washing it with soapy water. I probably won’t reattach it, but will maybe keep it, just to have the original lining. If I do pass it on one day, maybe the new owner will want it.
IMG_1099.jpeg

The size tag says 59…
IMG_1101.jpeg
…but under the lining were two of these labels that say size 60.
IMG_1102.jpeg
Anyone know what’s up with that?

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This purchase was a matter of mere curiosity
MAcciaio 5.jpg MQuaglia 6.jpg
Two hats with the same shape, differing in the color of the felt, same size sold in Cortina d'Ampezzo, the queen ski resort in the Dolomites
MAcciaio 4.jpg MQuaglia 1.jpg
Borsalino Qualità Extra Eextra Superiore Size 7 or 61 cm. but suitable for a head size 60 or 7 1/2 in the USA. The felt is a mixture, one called "Misto Acciao" (Mixed Steel), the other "Misto Quaglia" (Misto Quail)
MAcciaio Interno.jpg
MQuaglia interno.jpg
The linings are of different colors and the finishes denote quality hats and certainly high priced hats sold in Cortina d'Ampezzo
MAcciaio 7.jpg MQuaglia 9.jpg
The ribbons are one of the examples of Borsalino's "creativity" in a period of great change in the aesthetics of hats.
Presumably the 1960s from the shape and proportions of our subjects. Bought in a branch of a shop of which I can't find any trace, probably during a holiday stay
MAcciaio marocchino.jpg
Let's talk about felt which is one of those to remember in the immense production of Borsalino, when marketing research required having particular products different from the competition.
The Misto (Mix) is a combination of fur and wool to be able to obtain this type of melange colors with the stitching on the sides to embellish the workmanship.
MAcciaio particolare feltro A.jpg

I think this is one of the last purchases, out of pure curiosity, in this period of my life as a collector. We'll see what the future temptations will be :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld