Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonR

A-List Customer
Just received this Dobbs Forty.

I'm guessing that it is from the 50s.

2 7/8" Guild Edge brim
5" crown
2" ribbon
2" sweat
Onion skin? protector
Sweat protector

I think that this is now the thickest felt I own. Very smooth finish.

DSC_2161.JPG

DSC_2163.JPG

DSC_2164.JPG

DSC_2160.JPG
DSC_2158.JPG

Last edited:
I know you're going to like this one (I know I do).
Lock&Co heather felt fedora. Size 57 with the overwelted and triple stitched brim at 6cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. At least partly woolfelt, but how it could and should be done. I have the feeling this one is early, likely pre-war. Not a lightweight felt at 156 grams nor a very refined hand to it, but still. A fine shark-gill bow on it to top it off.

View attachment 586487 View attachment 586488 View attachment 586489 View attachment 586490 View attachment 586491 View attachment 586492 View attachment 586493 View attachment 586494 View attachment 586495 View attachment 586496
Couple of great additions, Stefan.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
(Update on this post: this hat did not work for my nephew but it did sell to a fellow Fedora Lounger.)

This guy just arrived… and boy is he a beauty! Liner and sweatband say “Hulbert Supreme Quality” with no other markings.

Unfortunately I took a gamble with this fellow and came up short on one account: the listing had him at size 7 but he is a 7-3/8 (the photos provided were very bad quality and I could not read the size tag in the photos).

I will see if it will fit my nephew, but if anybody here is interested in purchasing it, then please drop me a message. I’ll be asking $100 for him with free shipping in the US (but again, only if it doesn’t fit my nephew).

The listing had it as brown in color but it is entirely black (my nephew’s favorite color, so I hope it fits him).

If no one wants this fellow and he won’t fit my nephew, then I’ll send him back to the shipper. But darnit, this is a SWEET hat.

He is practically brand new and only appears to have once had a shallow center crease but no side dents whatsoever. The center crease shadows are barely noticeable.

It is 5-3/4 inch open crown, 2-5/8 inch brim bound in a 3/8 inch matching ribbon. The snap brim looks to have been never snapped.

Feels like very good quality rabbit or hare. I bet this felt will take any crease without steam: it is very soft but substantial.

From the liner and sweatband, I’d say a 1940s lid, incredibly nice.

Message me if you are interested and I’ll update you on its availability as soon as I know (hopefully by Monday). I’ll be keeping the Dobbs hat box (sorry, I need it).

IMG_0251.jpeg

IMG_0252.jpeg

IMG_0254.jpeg

IMG_0253.jpeg

IMG_0262.jpeg

IMG_0263.jpeg

IMG_0250.jpeg

IMG_0255.jpeg

IMG_0259.jpeg

Last edited:
This guy just arrived… and boy is he a beauty! Liner and sweatband say “Hulbert Supreme Quality” with no other markings.

Unfortunately I took a gamble with this fellow and came up short on one account: the listing had him at size 7 but he is a 7-3/8 (the photos provided were very bad quality and I could not read the size tag in the photos).

I will see if it will fit my nephew, but if anybody here is interested in purchasing it, then please drop me a message. I’ll be asking $100 for him with free shipping in the US (but again, only if it doesn’t fit my nephew).

The listing had it as brown in color but it is entirely black (my nephew’s favorite color, so I hope it fits him).

If no one wants this fellow and he won’t fit my nephew, then I’ll send him back to the shipper. But darnit, this is a SWEET hat.

He is practically brand new and only appears to have once had a shallow center crease but no side dents whatsoever. The center crease shadows are barely noticeable.

It is 5-3/4 inch open crown, 2-5/8 inch brim bound in a 3/8 inch matching ribbon. The snap brim looks to have been never snapped.

Feels like very good quality rabbit or hare. I bet this felt will take any crease without stream: it is very soft but substantial.

Message me if you are interested and I’ll update you on its availability as soon as I know (hopefully by Monday). I’ll be keeping the Dobbs hat box (sorry, I need it).

View attachment 586707
View attachment 586708
View attachment 586709
View attachment 586710
View attachment 586711
View attachment 586712
View attachment 586716
View attachment 586717
View attachment 586718

Nice one. If it were a size smaller...

Good gosh Dobbs octagon boxes are thick as Canadian geese up here. They're everywhere.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Just received this Dobbs Forty.

I'm guessing that it is from the 50s.

2 7/8" Guild Edge brim
5" crown
2" ribbon
2" sweat
Onion skin? protector
Sweat protector

I think that this is now the thickest felt I own. Very smooth finish.

View attachment 586674
View attachment 586675
View attachment 586677
View attachment 586678 View attachment 586679
Wow that is great Don! What are you gonna do with him - can you wear a 6-7/8? Just curious what your idea is - it’s definitely a once in a decade lid though!

Feels like very good quality rabbit or hare. I bet this felt will take any crease without steam: it is very soft but substantial.

View attachment 586707
View attachment 586708
View attachment 586709
View attachment 586710
View attachment 586711
View attachment 586712
View attachment 586716
View attachment 586717
View attachment 586718
This is quite nice Nathan. Sorry it didn’t come in at your size. I hope it works out for your nephew as from the looks of things he’ll be getting a beauty of a hat!

DonR

A-List Customer
Wow that is great Don! What are you gonna do with him - can you wear a 6-7/8? Just curious what your idea is - it’s definitely a once in a decade lid though!
Thanks Nathan. I plan on wearing it some. I'm usually a size 7, but I stretched it a bit to fit. It is still a little snug, but it works. Yeah I was lucky to be able to snag it and at a great price.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I am also size 7, so i get that. It took me two or more months, but i finally stretched a 6-7/8 OPS-era Knox 20. He was small for his size, too.

Good luck and glad to hear you got a good price on him!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe