Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Got this one from last week- Vtg. Panama OR

Just as minty as it appeared! A springy, light & airy gossamer weave that I don't know the name of, I am afraid.

It LOOKS like it just came from Myer's, but it is from his (one time ?) rival, Goldberg's Clothing on Decatur St.

I had a just had a muffuletta from the still extant Central Grocery, right down the block from Cafe' Du Monde (world famous Beignets & coffee), last time I was there, not to be missed!
Any residents of The Crescent city that remember ol' Mr. Goldberg?

Last edited:

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Pics of my CDs after creasing !!

af70bc262babdf344379af13c9817344.jpg

cd5170db339ee2c95e574519d1b62369.jpg

167b121b57ba35311041e66207a060e5.jpg

08645245389719319f31c04aa9003ade.jpg

1220f45c8d43c48d21d3c34ac5e3d4b4.jpg

874a6e7acceefa5e03fcc57ba2541df0.jpg

633938b37879bcc1935d8ff0d147417b.jpg

e950f8ce9ce9764d7ee09fcdfd6c9b71.jpg

67999f1672b6bb147d714fb2c79d9764.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Janyška "The BilCal Hat", size 56cm, probably 1930s. This hat is from the Czech find. Fantastic felt and high quality components. What is interesting is BilCal is Bill & Caldwell who were one of the early 20th Century American importers (there weren't many) of foreign hats (including Borsalino).

19561997858_b5d405f89c_b.jpg

19562156590_9124efebec_b.jpg

19754900131_5bfcbb9f0a_b.jpg

19561919010_e1b8f77cca_b.jpg

19754609891_2876a9045c_b.jpg

19561893888_526a79218b_b.jpg

19563330839_2ffb7012a9_b.jpg

Bill & Caldwell "Importers of Stiff, Soft and Straw Hats" (from an Borsalino advertisement in The American Hatter March, 1922)

19724231706_320c3bd080_b.jpg

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
just relentless hot fire coming from Maysers direction ...

you may want to think about putting a few rows a pews in your house so we can all come worship at the altar and pass around a donation basket to raise funds for the extra room you are going to have to add on to your house for this haul alone

in all of my life I have not seen so many smoking hot slices in one haul.... and probably never will again

... in all seriousness I think this haul may need its own thread

could we make that happen ?

just so I can see them all in one place and get a good close look .... I'm loving this !!

this haul is legendary and deserves its own thread.... I'm sure the powers that be would agree

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

This picture interests me for a couple reasons. It appears that there were several ways that pre-ww2 hat companies attached sweatbands to felt bodies. This picture clearly shows (along with many others in the Austrian/German hat thread) that the sweatband was sewn to the felt in the front, between the reed and the actual sweatband leather. I always refer to this as the "European" method for attaching sweatbands. SO many European hats that I have owned in the past employ this method verses the "American" method of attaching the sweatband to the felt body via the reed tape in the back of the sweatband. I know I am not accounting for unreeded sweatbands, Carter style sweatbands, etc, but the most popular way of attaching sweatbands in America in the 20th century (and even now) was to use a machine similar to the Singer 107-1/107-2 that uses a lock-stitch through the reed tape. Almost every European hat I have ever owned, especially the Austian/German stuff was sewn through the front. Even the modern Dobbs Velour (Made by Tonak) that I bought to convert which was produced in 2006 had a sweatband sewn through the front between the reed and sweatband leather. I just find it very interesting. I would be interested in knowing which machine did this European style sewing.

just relentless hot fire coming from Maysers direction ...

you may want to think about putting a few rows a pews in your house so we can all come worship at the altar and pass around a donation basket to raise funds for the extra room you are going to have to add on to your house for this haul alone

in all of my life I have not seen so many smoking hot slices in one haul.... and probably never will again

... in all seriousness I think this haul may need its own thread

could we make that happen ?

just so I can see them all in one place and get a good close look .... I'm loving this !!

this haul is legendary and deserves its own thread.... I'm sure the powers that be would agree

I will put one up on my site once I am finished photographing them. Many are the same model so not worth repeating.

This picture interests me for a couple reasons. It appears that there were several ways that pre-ww2 hat companies attached sweatbands to felt bodies. This picture clearly shows (along with many others in the Austrian/German hat thread) that the sweatband was sewn to the felt in the front, between the reed and the actual sweatband leather. I always refer to this as the "European" method for attaching sweatbands. SO many European hats that I have owned in the past employ this method verses the "American" method of attaching the sweatband to the felt body via the reed tape in the back of the sweatband. I know I am not accounting for unreeded sweatbands, Carter style sweatbands, etc, but the most popular way of attaching sweatbands in America in the 20th century (and even now) was to use a machine similar to the Singer 107-1/107-2 that uses a lock-stitch through the reed tape. Almost every European hat I have ever owned, especially the Austian/German stuff was sewn through the front. Even the modern Dobbs Velour (Made by Tonak) that I bought to convert which was produced in 2006 had a sweatband sewn through the front between the reed and sweatband leather. I just find it very interesting. I would be interested in knowing which machine did this European style sewing.

Interesting observation. I will have to look closer at some of my hats. The Tonak is probably later 1940s. I would guess Tonak still has the machine(s). I am planning to visit again sometime next year.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Interesting observation. I will have to look closer at some of my hats. The Tonak is probably later 1940s. I would guess Tonak still has the machine(s). I am planning to visit again sometime next year.

Very cool. That would really be an incredible trip to go see Tonak and all the wonderful equipment they have. I would be willing to bet that European hat companies...not all...but some, used this "European" sweatband method for quite some time after the war. I know Tonak was using it as far as 2006, but if I bought a 2015 Tonak, I would be willing to bet they still use this method to this day. Its a much more secure way of attaching sweatbands to felt bodies in my opinion. It doesn't leave room for the sweatband to "self-conform" as the "American" method does. I wonder if the European hat companies had specific reasons for using this method. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe