Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Mayser, I've been meaning to ask; You've shown many wonderful velours, they looks so warm and cozy, are they warmer than a regular felt hat? How do they compare?

That is good question. It probably has to do more with the weight of the felt (there are lighter weight Velour felts). For example any heavy weight black felt is going to be tough going in direct summer sunlight. I wear this Echter Rockel Wildleder Velourette occasionally in warmer weather.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/17-rockel-hutfabrik/#entry444

Last edited:

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Found a nice looking Stetson 100 and case on eBay. I made a reasonable offer and the Seller accepted! I'm hoping the stains can be cleaned up but it looks to be in pretty good condition for the price I paid. I hope to have it by tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. I'll post more photos once I receive it. I've been waiting for a nice one in my size for quite some time.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Oh, nice score! The plastic inserts often end up missing! The stains don't look too bad, and they'll at least be on the underside of the brim if they don't lift out all the way.

el_ote

Familiar Face
First (new) fine hat. the Stetson Saxon from DelMonico's. Wife and kids let me pick out my Father's Day gift and it came in today

2" brim in graphite. first outing tomorrow with more pictures to come. Definitely going to be my signature hat!

- Elías O.

fabiovenhorst

Call Me a Cab
Not exactly new in my little collection, but I can't remember if I already shared...

black Marcatto - wool felt

http://marcatto.com.br/

img-6.jpg
img-7.jpg
img-8.jpg

javadave61

Practically Family
First (new) fine hat. the Stetson Saxon from DelMonico's. Wife and kids let me pick out my Father's Day gift and it came in today

2" brim in graphite. first outing tomorrow with more pictures to come. Definitely going to be my signature hat!

- Elías O.

Very nice, Elias. I tried on one of these last week and nearly picked up one for $50, but it was discounted due to a moth bite right in the top front of the brim. :( No hiding that. I liked the crown and brim size, and it would make for a nice dress hat to go with my black wool winter coat. I'll be on the lookout for one of these.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, Elias. I tried on one of these last week and nearly picked up one for $50, but it was discounted due to a moth bite right in the top front of the brim. :( No hiding that. I liked the crown and brim size, and it would make for a nice dress hat to go with my black wool winter coat. I'll be on the lookout for one of these.

yeah ... that thing screams Tom Landry

nice hat indeed

el_ote

Familiar Face

yeah ... that thing screams Tom Landry

nice hat indeed

Thanks Moon, & Dave. Took all of 45 minutes of getting used to the larger brim. at 2", the brim felt large at first, but after playing with the curl and snapping it up/down, im really glad i went for it.
I think i'll break this guy in good. not sure how long i can keep the original bash. i feel like keeping it original for a little bit, but also want to try and put in at least a diamond up top if i cant get a good teardrop going. im not sure the bash will last 24 hours before i break out the kettle.

javadave61

Practically Family
Thanks Moon, & Dave. Took all of 45 minutes of getting used to the larger brim. at 2", the brim felt large at first, but after playing with the curl and snapping it up/down, im really glad i went for it.
I think i'll break this guy in good. not sure how long i can keep the original bash. i feel like keeping it original for a little bit, but also want to try and put in at least a diamond up top if i cant get a good teardrop going. im not sure the bash will last 24 hours before i break out the kettle.

As the fellas will tell you (and to which I will attest), you'll grow in your comfort with brim size. My first "real" hat was a 1 7/8" which seemed so "normal" initially. The crown was tapered and I began to notice how gigantic my already large head looked inside that hat. Fast forward six months, and my ideal brim size is around 2 1/2" with anything over 2 3/4 being a "western" look for me. I really studied the 2" brim when I tried on the Saxon, and there was something about that hat that worked for me, as 2" brims usually feel small with other hats. But I do wish it were 2 1/4 or more. If I have to pay full price for the Saxon to get a gray, traditional fedora, I'll go for the Akubra Fedora or Stylemaster in gray or moonstone.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
As the fellas will tell you (and to which I will attest), you'll grow in your comfort with brim size. My first "real" hat was a 1 7/8" which seemed so "normal" initially. The crown was tapered and I began to notice how gigantic my already large head looked inside that hat. Fast forward six months, and my ideal brim size is around 2 1/2" with anything over 2 3/4 being a "western" look for me. I really studied the 2" brim when I tried on the Saxon, and there was something about that hat that worked for me, as 2" brims usually feel small with other hats. But I do wish it were 2 1/4 or more. If I have to pay full price for the Saxon to get a gray, traditional fedora, I'll go for the Akubra Fedora or Stylemaster in gray or moonstone.

+1

el_ote

Familiar Face

The Stylemaster was the "other" hat on my mind. i kept going back and forth between the two. I think right now since i am so new to hats still, the Saxon is a great fit. the brim is just large enough without feeling too large for me. When i first jumped into a hat, it was into a 2.5" brimmed hat that was perfect in color but felt WAY too large for my rookie head. maybe next year!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/LoveMyHats2005/lee%20hat%20front_zpsmm7rnsbe.jpg.html] [/URL]
[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/LoveMyHats2005/lee%20hat_zpsgjpfgw5l.jpg.html] [/URL]
[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/LoveMyHats2005/lee%20hat%20box_zpsehwjf5fp.jpg.html] [/URL]

Another GEM I was able to recently find for Daniel. This is a Lee brand. So far this will be a first, as there have been no Lee brand hats come into our home. I have not yet had this one arrive yet, so I am not sure how NOS it may be, but from speaking with the seller, and the pictures, this hat is on the NOS side. I am not even yet sure of the color, the seller was not able to really tell me if this is silverbelly, tan, light grey, fawn, or what ever even a light brown? I have to wait. It does appear to be of the same "crown" height as most O.R.'s with a Cattlemen crease sporting about up top, and the brim seems to be in the ball park of around 2 1/2 or more? Just have to wait. The seller did make mention this hat is spotless, no nibblers, no chocolate finger marks, no cigar tint from tobacco or smoke smell. Just looking at the box gives me a good feeling along with what info I do have, that this hat was well taken care of it's entire life.

The mens store that this hat comes from,Newburns Mens Store was closed at some point of time as it was located in a famous Equitable Building, Des Moines, that was a headquarters for a large company, that eventually Bob Knapp, (Bill Knapp's brother) eventually wanted to turn the building into a living spaces to lease out....but he want to jail.....long story....haha! I love finding out history of where things have been. I have to guess the hat was from late 1950's, to early 1960's as the mens store was gone around that time period, per the memory of someone that works at the chamber of commerce.

Oh yes...I forgot, some of you big headed fellows must have not wanted this, or had been a sleep at the wheel. But I was happy to be able to stumble onto it and grab it up. I can always enjoy buying for my Husband. I have been wanting to have Tonyb make another custom, and until I can decide what color and type of hat I would have Tonyb make, this will fill on the gap while waiting!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe