Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Nice catch! It's no older than May 1943, as that's when that particular C&K liner tip was first put to use. It continued up until through 1960s, though by then it had a plastic liner tip protector. It's either from the 1940s or 1950s, it just depends if it has aHCA 1940s or 1950s factory label underneath the sweatband.

Brad
sweet liner

There is always a first time... well I was expecting a Resistol Stagecoach but this was what arrived...

Seller mixed hats and send them to wrong buyers. Box was not good so it arrived in this condition. Waiting to know if the other person wants to exchange hats (seller says it will pay postage). Since it is a 57 (7 1/8) it does not fit my head. If it would fit I might keep it since it have a 3 1/2" brim. I didn't know Stetson made hats in Spain. Spanish weird names... "silverbilly" and Westem"... maybe silverbelly and Western?

this should be a crime, never disrespect a hat like that

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Cool, thanks Brad! I'll try to get a picture of the inner label tonight after work. By the way, how does one tell the difference between a 40's label and a 50's label?

- R

Typical 1940s Hat Corporation of America label:
40slabel.jpg

1950s Hat Corporation of America label:
50slabel.jpg

Brad

Purplesage

One Too Many
Adam Executive Quality

I rescued this Adam from the bone yard. I guess you could call the color tan and it has a brown velour sharks gill bow. Cosmetically it's in pretty good shape just needs cleaned. The sweatband is actually just sitting in the hat since the stitching is shot. The Adam logo in the crown tip is really faded but you can make it out if the light hits it the right way. There was a glob of sticky substance on the first panel of the sharks gill bow which I tried to clean based on some info I found on the internet about how to clean velour. The instructions were to put a cup of water and dishwashing soap in a container and shake it up so it creates a lot of foam and then to take a sponge dab some foam on the spot letting the foam bring the stain to the surface and then gently wiping with a moist cloth. This didn't work very well as you can see. All it seemed to do was smear the stuff around. I should have just waited until I had the hat cleaned. Oh well, lesson learned. Hopefully, I didn't do further damage and it will come out once the hat is cleaned. The sweatband says "ADAM...First Name in Hats" and "Executive Quality." Of course this is difficult to read on the sweatband as well. I think it has potential and it didn't cost very much so I would say it's money well spent. I'm thinking it's from the 30s but someone will probably dispute that. It has a 2 3/8" brim with 3/8" underwelt edge and a 5 5/8" open crown with a 2" brown velour ribbon with sharks gill bow. The silk liner is in good shape with the exception of the logo which is faded. The leather on the unreeded sweatband seems to be in pretty good shape but I don't know if unreeded sweatbands can be restitched or the better choice would be to replace the sweatband with a new reeded sweatband. Anyway, that's a project down the road. I welcome any input in helping me date the hat.

photo2-313_zps5b871ca6.jpg

photo4-305_zpsd9b9667d.jpg

photo5-273_zpsc7893ab4.jpg

photo1-415_zps149c4e30.jpg

photo2-323_zps37a1267c.jpg

photo1-405_zpsd95b7b74.jpg

photo1-403_zps757f65ef.jpg

photo1-406_zpsab24180b.jpg

photo3-296_zpsdda12537.jpg

Miamibruno

One Too Many
Purplesage - Great hats, all. That Borsalino Velour is amazing. All of the longer-hair Borsalinos are something special. And your Adam... spectacular. I'd say 30's with price and style.

Brother Cavefish - I just received a Champ Featherweight in a Nike SHOE BOX. Unbelievable.

I also received this Marathon today. Any guesses as to date? Brim is 2 5/8ths. Thanks.

IMG_5946.JPG

IMG_5948.JPG

IMG_5951.JPG

IMG_5954.JPG

IMG_5952.JPG

IMG_5953.JPG

Last edited:

Miamibruno

One Too Many
Thanks, Richard. Hope the weather is improving in your part of the world. We had more snow today, but it's not quite like flooding. Good luck.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Came across this vintage Borsolino Alessandria at local antique store. The sweat is in good condition. However, it has come unsewn from the body of the felt. The felt is in good condition, but needs a cleaning, as it has some stains. It also has a couple of moth nibbles on the underside of the brim. Easier to feel them than to see them. The color is "Muflone" which is a fawn color and it even still has the original Marshall Field's price tag ($20) inside the band. The liner is in good shape for its age. The size is 6 7/8, which is too small for me, but I just couldn't pass this up. If this was my size I'd be all over finding someone to reattach the sweat and clean the felt. I really like this hat.

If anyone has any interest in this hat or any ideas on how to go about reattaching the sweat, please advise or PM me. Thanks.

Sweatband stitching failure is not uncommon in Borsalino hats from this period. Here are a couple of threads on repairing a sweatband. If you don't intend to wear the hat, it is probably not worth the effort.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Alan. I'm afraid I would have to get the hat resized too much to make it worthwhile for me to wear, and the sweatband is in such good condition it would be a shame to not use it. Not really sure what to do with the hat at this point other than to look at it and imagine what could have been!

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Re attaching the original leather sweat may not work even if you have the machine to do it as the leather itself maybe dry rotted and rip again when being stitched in or by handling .
I've had some success with taking a piece of sheepskin cut and stitched in place around head opening then re glue the original to that. Its a way to preserve the original sweat with out trying to restitch it, but its a tricky wicket all the same .

Stetson Clear Nutria/ Boss Raw Edge

bossrawgift1.jpg

bossrawgift2.jpg

This surprise arrived in the mail today... a gift from a fellow lounge member.

This can be a very beautiful place. :cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82