Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Frank, was beginning to miss your posts! Great lookin' hat!

Bert, that one looks great on you!

Today, I recieved 4 hats, and one very old stetson box. All hats are going to be for sale, once I learn a bit more about each...

Here is a quick photo I took before my camera died. I will post photos of each hat tomorrow. From left to right, the hats are: Continental Clothing House (Unknown Vintage, Left), 1920s/30s Stetson Select (top Middle), Stetson 4x Beaver (bottom Middle), and a Trade One (unknown vintage, Right), all sitting on the 1920s(?) Stetson Box, which will soon house the Expo Medal Stetson that is on it's way.

06711.jpg
wow! so many hats, also very nice jacket btw
VM

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
1920s-1930s Stetson Select. This one has a cracking sweat, and heavy mothing.

h112.jpg

1920s(?) Continental Straw.

h212.jpg

1920s(?) Trade One XXXX Fine Quality. The price tag is in the hat, and it looks to read $4.00.

h312.jpg

Stetson 4x Beaver

h411.jpg

1920s(?) Stetson Hat Box. This is the only thing I am keeping from this group.

h511.jpg

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Long post warning

Came home today, and was greeted by this box...

07111.jpg

I wonder what may be inside??

07210.jpg

Bubblewrap!? Let's try again!

07310.jpg

What is starting to appear beneath the wrap??

07410.jpg

1920s Stetson The Avenue Expo Medal. This one is interesting, as it is dated Dec 23, 1931... I thought the expo medals were from 1915-1925? This was sold to me as a size 7, so I was not sure if it would fit, but it turned out to be a 7 1/8. There are no signs of the ever-so-upsetting moth munchies, so from the looks of it, this seems to be how it would have looked right from the shop!

h113.jpg

h213.jpg

h313.jpg

h412.jpg

On my head, brim up w/ side dents, and the front snapped down, with a front pinch. I can't decide what I like more, but I am going to probally stay with the brim up look.

h512.jpg

With the same period box it will be in, when I am not wearing it.

11011.jpg

Great catch on the Expo. An old hat in fine condition is always a special capture. The overwelt brim is unusual. When I first saw it I thought it might have been a later modification. If you can locate the LOTXXXX imprint on the back of the sweat and add it to this thread it would be an important example given the date stamp.

Congratulations!

Monte

Practically Family
Sir, that is one smart hat. That liner alone gets a Gold Medal from me.
It looks like fate smiled upon you with the fit, so wear it well. Either shape looks great.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Splintz, I'd say The Avenue is your best find so far.

Looks to be in great shape and it is fantastic that it fits you well.

Enjoy!

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
G.durand, Mayser, Manfred, Alan, Monte, and David, many thanks! I am so happy to have this one!

Alan, what makes you think the overwelt is a later addition? Also, there is no lot #, sadly, which is odd, as they put the date stamp, but no lot info?? Could this hat have been finished, then sat around, until December 23, 1931, when it was sent to the CA shop, or what? I thought expo medals were from 1915-1925, or was I mistaken? Also, when did wind tolleys come about? I didn't think they would appear on an Expo Medal stetson, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
G.durand, Mayser, Manfred, Alan, Monte, and David, many thanks! I am so happy to have this one!

Alan, what makes you think the overwelt is a later addition? Also, there is no lot #, sadly, which is odd, as they put the date stamp, but no lot info?? Could this hat have been finished, then sat around, until December 23, 1931, when it was sent to the CA shop, or what? I thought expo medals were from 1915-1925, or was I mistaken?

It might have had binding at one time. It appears the over welt overlaps the interior stitching at certain points. Is the over welt glued?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I thought expo medals were from 1915-1925, or was I mistaken? Also, when did wind tolleys come about? I didn't think they would appear on an Expo Medal stetson, but I could be wrong.

Wind chords go back into the 19th century and the Expo Medals are only an age limiting factor--Borsalino still uses the 1900 Paris Prize on their hats, etc. Mossant just kept adding Medals...

Something about the finish to the brim edge made me wonder if it was a post factory mod... but it's only a wonder. What is the brim width? The date stamp might be a retailer inventory mark. Sometimes the lot stamps are very light or faded. I have not owned a pre-1940 Stetson with the original sweat that didn't have one somewhere.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Mayser, does not seem to be glued down, allthough I am unsure what to look for. It seem s the stitching is holding it in place.

Lefty, that is one sweet welt!

Robert, I see!

Alan, The brim width is: 2"
I have looked, and it does not seem to have ever held a lot# behind the sweat, or my eyes are failing me heavily.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here's my Stetson Open Road 3X Beaver...This hat is in near perfect condition except for one major flaw...It's too small for me!!!! I wear a size 7 1/8 and this hat is size 7...so I'm probably going to sell this one and post more info and pics in the classified section...there's no way I would consider selling this one if it fit me...it has the original box too...

openroada01redo.jpg

openroada02redo.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld