Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

winter_joe

A-List Customer
Soft hat, fur finish. More than a century old but mint, wearable condition. Will need to be photographed in daylight... more complete coverage to follow in the Hawes/Hawes Von Gal thread.

hawes1.jpg

hawes2.jpg

hawes3.jpg

Wow your hat collection is awe inspiring! Your collection just keeps getting grander and grander!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

GORGEOUS!!!!! SIMPLY GORGEOUS IN EVERY WAY!!!!!!! The very FIRST Hawes soft hat to be found on the lounge. Congrats!!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

That sweatband marking is exactly what I was looking for. From all the ads I have collected, and from all the research I have done about the company, it appears that Chicago was added to their ads as a wholesale location starting in 1904 and ended around 1911. I have seen some 1911 ads that list Chicago and some do not, so I believe it ending sometime during the year of 1911. I have not seen an ad post-1911 that lists Chicago as a wholesale location. Hopefully the re-order tag will narrow the date down a little, but I'm 99% positive that it dates from the time period of 1904-1911.

Thanks all... and thank you Josh for your fantastic history detective work on this company. Will share more once I freshened it up and get it out into the daylight for some better photos.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Great bow on that one, Alan. S'pose the slight crumple is intentional? The hat looks exceptionally warm, too. Should serve you well in Buffalo!

Jared, you wear that one quite well. Another ineffable color if my monitor is accurate. Nice score.

Great bow on that one, Alan. S'pose the slight crumple is intentional? The hat looks exceptionally warm, too. Should serve you well in Buffalo!

The ribbon and bow are made of soft silk... looks and feels quite different from rayon. The hat weighs in at 4.1 ounces... surprisingly light. I don't expect to wear this often, but I will wear it. It fits very well.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Way to go, Jared! looks great so far.

tomb1013-- that is indeed a catch. absolutely pristine and the dimensions fit your perfectly. are you also an OR guy?

ALAN. wowowowow. I drool now.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stetson Derby. I would very much like to know what time period this hat is from. It's a bit small for me but still may be wearable. Opinions on fit would be welcome as I need to decide whether to keep it or sell it on to a smaller headed person.

The sweatband says:
Standard Quality
Stetson
John B. Stetson Company
Philadelphia
Flexible
Conforming

On the other side the sweatband reads:
WM. J. IJAMS
Since 1915
Hatter and Haberdasher
Sixteen East Broad Street
Columbus Ohio

IMG_9693.JPG

IMG_9679.JPG

IMG_9683.JPG

IMG_9684.JPG

IMG_9686.JPG

IMG_9689.JPG

IMG_9691.JPG

IMG_9674.JPG

IMG_9676.JPG

IMG_9673.JPG

1930s I think. You might look at the red tag and compare with the hats posted in this thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?61678-Dating-30s-40s-Stetsons-by-manufacturing-label

and find the LotXXXX stamp on the back of the sweat to see where it fits in this timeline:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?61678-Dating-30s-40s-Stetsons-by-manufacturing-label

And when you have the time to read more, this thread is a must.

When you find a derby that fits right, you will know it and love it. An ill fitting derby is a pain in the forehead. This one looks too small for you.

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Stetson Derby. I would very much like to know what time period this hat is from. It's a bit small for me but still may be wearable. Opinions on fit would be welcome as I need to decide whether to keep it or sell it on to a smaller headed person.

The sweatband says:
Standard Quality
Stetson
John B. Stetson Company
Philadelphia
Flexible
Conforming

On the other side the sweatband reads:
WM. J. IJAMS
Since 1915
Hatter and Haberdasher
Sixteen East Broad Street
Columbus Ohio

IMG_9693.JPG

IMG_9679.JPG

IMG_9683.JPG

IMG_9684.JPG

IMG_9686.JPG

IMG_9689.JPG

IMG_9691.JPG

IMG_9674.JPG

IMG_9676.JPG

IMG_9673.JPG

Nice derby, but too small for you, Amigo. IMHO, of course!

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just found the label under the sweatband and this is a size 7 3/8. It was listed as a size 7 5/8 so now I know why it's so small. If anyone's interested in this hat (it's in very good condition) I'll be listing it in the classifieds. If there's no interest quickly then I'll probably contact the seller to return it.

Photo size tag:
IMG_9710.JPG

Sam

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe