Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Newly refurbished Borsalino in a cream/w a grey undertone. 50s vin. 2 1/4 ribbon edge brim . Felt is really nice. Unfortunately the original sweat was dry rotted and had to be replaced. Also swapped out this brown vintage ribbon of other Borso as the original one was a dark grey and looked awful.
34611ec8.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Jeff - the Panama looks great on you. I think I mentioned this before, but you always look so happy to be wearing your hats. In my shots I always look as though I just learned that the world is coming to an end tomorrow.

Bond - the Borsalino looks really good.

JAVIER

Practically Family
Bought this on the Bay from a guy who had it listed as the fedora his Grandpa wore. He had it listed a (wool felt fedora) so I took a chance as I thought It was not wool but rather a fur felt; my risk paid off ... KO! As my assumption were correct and thus I paid less than half of what I would have spent. .
photobucket-5195-1339079389324.jpg

Here are the specifics (as per him):

Material: The felt is a light, summer weight, gray felt. The sweat band is leather and the liner is satin.
Dimensions: This hat is 7 1/8. The brim is 2 1/2 inches at the front and the crown, as bashed, is 4" 1/2 at the front and 5" at the sides.
photobucket-5647-1339355662521.jpg
photobucket-4928-1339361519124.jpg

Exterior Condition: The condition, in a word, is excellent. No stains, moth holes, tears or fading. The hat has the "button and string" which was used to retain the hat on windy days. Over all, looks damn near new.
photobucket-4950-1339355540757.jpg

photobucket-5218-1339355728795.jpg

Interior: The sweat band is leather and in excellent condition. No evidence of drying or rot. It is soft and pliable. There is minor sweat staining on the liner, I'd say its still a 9/10.
photobucket-4324-1339355448832.jpg

Markings: The liner is marked "Lamson Hubbard, Baltimore." On the right side of the sweat band is "Martin Clothes Shop, 986 South Water Street, West Bedford Mass." On the right side of the sweat band "Lamson Hubbard, Baltimore". There is a small red tag which reads " 7 1/8 Custom Made."
photobucket-6078-1339357153950.jpg

photobucket-1651-1339357196479.jpg

photobucket-4093-1339357240122.jpg

Thanks for looking.
photobucket-5238-1339355486716.jpg

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Here's a little teaser....I took the good pictures with my real camera over the weekend and didn't have time to upload them this morning. These few pictures were taken with my camera phone at work. They do the hat very little justice. I will post the "real" pictures of the hat in open crown position and after I creased it in the Art Hall of Fame a little later this evening. This was my first VS hat and let me say, actually holding one in my hands is an incredible experience. Art truly is a master hatter!

OPEN CROWN: 6 INCHES TALL (The straightest block profile I've ever seen. I am in love with it)

BRIM WIDTH: 2 1/4 INCHES WIDE

RIBBON WIDTH: 2 1/8 INCHES WIDE

My new Dualist!!! (I creased the crown. I'm still working on the front pinch...)

06112012849.jpg

06112012853.jpg

06112012854.jpg

06112012852.jpg

06112012850.jpg

06112012855.jpg

06112012856.jpg

06112012858.jpg

06112012860.jpg

THANK YOU SO MUCH, ART!!!!!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE HAT!!!!

I creased the crown lower in front and higher in back to give that great early 1930's rake to it. Right now the front pinch Stands at about 4 1/2 inches tall, the rear crease is about 5 inches tall, and the highest point of the crown creased is.....5 1/4 inches tall. I wanted to give the crown styling cues from the mid-teens through the 20's/early 30's.

I asked Art to copy a picture that I found in the American Hatter publications from 1915. He copied the bow EXACTLY (He used 2 1/8 inch ribbon. The perfect combo for an early looking hat). I also asked if he could leave the bow a little "puffy" and not tack it down so taut as 40's/50's hats. I love how the puffy/loose bows of the early/mid-teens looked. He did that perfectly as well!!

I also wanted something a little different on the sweatband. I love how many vintage fedoras used rear lacing, rather than having the sweatband seam stitched. I asked Art if he could just tape the sweatband seam in back and do lacing which comes out and ties into a bow. He executed this PERFECTLY!! I absolutely love the way this looks.

Lastly, I wanted a liner in this hat. Its a summer hat, but I have seen several examples on the lounge of early Stetson panamas and other makers use light liners in their panama hats. The liner really dresses up the panama and give the hat a very "finished" look. I love that the liner is white with black piping. It just looks so elegant!

Its a very cool hat. I wore it Saturday when the temp in Chicago reached 95 degrees and it kept me cool all day.

I will post more in the Art Hall of Fame a bit later.

Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH ART!!!!

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Josh, my congrats!! That is truly a masterpiece all round around! Art is an Artist with much sensitivity, he makes a fantastic work.
The Hat was made for you and you can see it, he looks stunning on you.

Mystic

Practically Family
Here's a little teaser....I took the good pictures with my real camera over the weekend and didn't have time to upload them this morning. These few pictures were taken with my camera phone at work. They do the hat very little justice. I will post the "real" pictures of the hat in open crown position and after I creased it in the Art Hall of Fame a little later this evening. This was my first VS hat and let me say, actually holding one in my hands is an incredible experience. Art truly is a master hatter!

OPEN CROWN: 6 INCHES TALL (The straightest block profile I've ever seen. I am in love with it)

BRIM WIDTH: 2 1/4 INCHES WIDE

RIBBON WIDTH: 2 1/8 INCHES WIDE

My new Dualist!!! (I creased the crown. I'm still working on the front pinch...)

06112012849.jpg

06112012853.jpg

06112012854.jpg

06112012852.jpg

06112012850.jpg

06112012855.jpg

06112012856.jpg

06112012858.jpg

06112012860.jpg

THANK YOU SO MUCH, ART!!!!!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE HAT!!!!

I creased the crown lower in front and higher in back to give that great early 1930's rake to it. Right now the front pinch Stands at about 4 1/2 inches tall, the rear crease is about 5 inches tall, and the highest point of the crown creased is.....5 1/4 inches tall. I wanted to give the crown styling cues from the mid-teens through the 20's/early 30's.

I asked Art to copy a picture that I found in the American Hatter publications from 1915. He copied the bow EXACTLY (He used 2 1/8 inch ribbon. The perfect combo for an early looking hat). I also asked if he could leave the bow a little "puffy" and not tack it down so taut as 40's/50's hats. I love how the puffy/loose bows of the early/mid-teens looked. He did that perfectly as well!!

I also wanted something a little different on the sweatband. I love how many vintage fedoras used rear lacing, rather than having the sweatband seam stitched. I asked Art if he could just tape the sweatband seam in back and do lacing which comes out and ties into a bow. He executed this PERFECTLY!! I absolutely love the way this looks.

Lastly, I wanted a liner in this hat. Its a summer hat, but I have seen several examples on the lounge of early Stetson panamas and other makers use light liners in their panama hats. The liner really dresses up the panama and give the hat a very "finished" look. I love that the liner is white with black piping. It just looks so elegant!

Its a very cool hat. I wore it Saturday when the temp in Chicago reached 95 degrees and it kept me cool all day.

I will post more in the Art Hall of Fame a bit later.

Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH ART!!!!

That is a beautiful hat !! The workmanship and details are amazing.

and, thanks for pointing out all the appointments and details of this hat that my untrained eye might miss in a photo.

That is a future collectors hat for sure. One for the Grail hat of the future thread.

:clap2:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thank you EVERYBODY for the wonderful words about my newest VS!!! Its going to be getting lots of head time this summer and has already spent very little time off my head. Its extremely comfortable, fits like a glove, and has the proportions that I love. I have been smiling from ear to ear since I received it. :D

Funny side note:

My fiance' and I went to Hats-Plus in Chicago this weekend because she wanted a hat for the beach. I had her get a wide brimmed (3 inch brim) mens panama Stetson because it looked great on her and really covered her face from the sun. Its a wonderful hat, but they don't list it on their website. Its real panama straw with a very nice open weave half-way up the crown. There's actually a bunch of great hats there which they don't list on their site. The crown is a bit short and tapered for me, but looks wonderful on her. I was of course wearing my new VS and while I was there, all the salesmen kept looking at me. Finally one came up to me and said, "that's a gorgeous hat, I've never seen one like that before. The crown...its so tall.....we don't have any like that in our store." Before I knew it, 3 salesmen were surrounding me and were really excited to see my hat. They asked me all kinds of questions. It was really flattering and I was even able to tell them about Art, and the vintage hat that inspired my new VS. I just found it amusing that in a store which claims to have 30,000+ hats, they all gravitated towards the one that was on my head. It made me smile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deuter