Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The blue fedora in this lot has potential. Could be 1940s or earlier. Give the dusty felt a good brushing, clean the leather sweatband with some saddle soap, and hopefully you're good to go.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?itemid=9319502

The gamble paid off. As expected, three of the four are modern wool felts: on the cheap side, but would make decent costume fedoras. I'll give them away to a local Goodwill.

But the BLUE one ... ah, well ... it's an early to mid 1930s "lords' hat", rolled raw-edge brim and all. Size 7 1/4, and (except for a lot of dust) the fur felt is in pristine condition. Has its original leather sweatband, but the maker's name and logo have been completely rubbed off with use. I've given it a quick dust-off.

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Good deal, Marc! That seems to be the thing with those "lots" of hats - bunch of dodgy ones and one or two good hats if the gods are with you that day.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Day of the lord

Coincidence?
I received this one not more than an hour and a half ago...
Definitely not the quality or character of yours, Marc, but I'm excited all the same.

Champ Kasmir finish lord's hat in taupe/pecan; it's an almost identical companion to the grey Dobbs I posted a few weeks ago.
The sweatband... well I've never seen a thirstier one. I expected that from the auction photos, and am trying to be careful about slowly bringing it back to life. So far, it's really guzzling the leather conditioner and though there are hairline cracks, they're pretty much on the surface and it seems to be very accommodating to the stretcher so far (knock on wood...).

016copyj.jpg

014copy.jpg

015copym.jpg

010copya.jpg

009copyy.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Coincidence?
I received this one not more than an hour and a half ago...
Definitely not the quality or character of yours, Marc, but I'm excited all the same.

Champ Kasmir finish lord's hat in taupe/pecan; it's an almost identical companion to the grey Dobbs I posted a few weeks ago.
The sweatband... well I've never seen a thirstier one. I expected that from the auction photos, and am trying to be careful about slowly bringing it back to life. So far, it's really guzzling the leather conditioner and though there are hairline cracks, they're pretty much on the surface and it seems to be very accommodating to the stretcher so far (knock on wood...).

016copyj.jpg

014copy.jpg

015copym.jpg

010copya.jpg

009copyy.jpg

:eusa_clap Just what is it about lords' hats that makes them look so cool?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Borsalini Preview

Lithium
P1030850.JPG
P1030852.JPG

Sandalwood
P1030854.JPG
P1030855.JPG

P1030858.JPG

Likely just before WW2. More when better light available.

Last edited:

99benzman

New in Town
This is my new "Hipster", well conservative Hipster from Rio Grande Hatters...these photos are taken with my iPhone so please keep that in mind. This is a all beaver in fawn color with a 2 3/8 brim and 1.5 inch ribbon and bow

hipster2.jpg

hipster1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe