Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lokar

A-List Customer
I'm not seriously thinking about stretching it - I just have it for display. Even if I took everything off, it's felt-covered pith, and I don't think pith would stretch as well as felt.

It's not like I'd ever wear it, anyway. I just had to get it.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Green Knox

4923957005_d32f7ccf63_b.jpg

4924160283_8dd2351f4f_z.jpg

More in Knox Thread http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=1071831&postcount=208

rlk

I'll Lock Up
mayserwegener said:
Robert, Another great find! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap What is the felt color? It looks olive in the photos.
Thanks, Steve. Its a little darker and a bit closer to a true green but slightly olive. Close to Loden Green. The camera sensor has a lack of green sensitivity so I can never make it right even with adjustments on the simple editing software.

BanjoMerlin said:
The chances of successfully stretching that bobby beanie are quite low. You would need to remove everything that is attached to the hat, including the brim binding, fully steam the hat, stretch it on a proper device and then replace everything. Likely the brim binding, hat band and sweat band would not fit properly. Even with the proper equipment the hat could tear rather than stretch.

Have you tried getting a large round clamp and shrinking your head?

Sorry but I disagree. I do not think it would be a big problem stretching it one size. Regardless it looks nice as a display piece.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
mayserwegener said:
Sorry but I disagree. I do not think it would be a big problem stretching it one size. Regardless it looks nice as a display piece.

Thankfully he's not going to make the mistake of trying.

Those helmets are like hard hats. Even the brim is stiff as a board. They won't stretch like a fedora or even a bowler.

Torpedo

One Too Many
I got this Stetson Stratoliner. Is is in very good condition, in the whereabouts of NOS. Colour is an oliveish brown - depending on the conditions, it definitely shows some green cast.

DSC00297.jpg

DSC00296.jpg

Royal Stetson quality:

DSC00299.jpg

It has no hatter's stampings, only manufacturer's.

DSC00298b.jpg

Size cutout tag is intact and shows original price.

DSC00300b.jpg

It came creased in a kind of diamond, but with much longer frontal than rear sides, almost triangular, because of the elongated creases; sort of a cattleman crease with its rear wider than its front. It is the first one I get with this style. I think I will keep it this way.

I will clap it on my head and be on my way outside the moment the temperature is more forgiving for felt! ;)

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Rick Blaine said:
sax2.jpg

A Saks 5th Ave. in store brand, looks like its never been worn! Made by? Churchill? Cavanagh? Sax was/is pretty high-ticket.
Looks very nice. Maybe Dobbs. Is that a Guild Edge embossing (circle) on the sweatband(upper right)?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Hat Corporation of America made hats for Saks Fifth Avenue. Their relationship dates back to the Crofut & Knapp days, but whether it was exclusive or not, I don't know. However, all of the Saks hats I've seen were made by Hat Corporation of America, just as this one is.

Brad

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Torpedo said:
I got this Stetson Stratoliner. Is is in very good condition, in the whereabouts of NOS. Colour is an oliveish brown - depending on the conditions, it definitely shows some green cast.

DSC00297.jpg

DSC00296.jpg

I like that a lot, Torpedo. That is the exact crease I had in mind for when I finally get my Bluegrass Green Campdraft in a few months.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, fellas

rlk said:
Looks very nice. Maybe Dobbs. Is that a Guild Edge embossing (circle) on the sweatband(upper right)?

.. ya' know. I think you might be right, does look like a cav edge, from here anyway.

hatophile said:
Pretty hat, Rick, I'm jealous.:eek:

Thanks, I can't wait to get it, even though it'll be months 'til I can wear it!

Brad Bowers said:
Hat Corporation of America made hats for Saks Fifth Avenue. Their relationship dates back to the Crofut & Knapp days, but whether it was exclusive or not, I don't know. However, all of the Saks hats I've seen were made by Hat Corporation of America, just as this one is.

Brad

Thank you, Professor! I knew someone would have the skinny.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr E Train said:
I like that a lot, Torpedo. That is the exact crease I had in mind for when I finally get my Bluegrass Green Campdraft in a few months.

It's scary, we're ordering the same hat, and we both want to emulate the same bash...creepy.

Actually, I'm wavering between Torpedo's hat shape and yours. That silverbelly campdraft with the wider front pinch is a beauty. First, though, I gotta learn how to pick up a hat by the brim lol.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Scored a hat this evening

Here is a Stetson hat I just got. Too bad it's just a little too small for me. Can anyone tell me anything about it? I am new to this stuff...
37abcbad.jpg

f63521a5.jpg

a2e77d24.jpg

583ca268.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe