Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
Seriously? One thing is talking about nutrias that relate to hats and, specifically, to a new hat posted by a lounger. But shoes?...I might be overreacting here (forgive me, I had mexican chiles for dinner:p ) but shouldn't this post be somewhere else?:rage:

It's Spam. I've alerted the Bartenders. At least she's from someplace other than "Array."lol

Brad

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rlk said:
4164432897_3c595b3992_b.jpg
rlk,

I do hope you understand that your puppy pug is not made
of what we in the USA call a "puppy".
an-irresistibly-adorable-pug-puppy.jpg

In fact, it is more likely to be the product of the silk worm.
silkworm_sml.jpg

Okay, that's all the self-parody I can swing after a long day...

rlk

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
rlk,

In fact, it is more likely to be the product of the silk worm.

lol lol On second thought, they might be Otters, not Puppies...

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Paladin said:
Very nice! Does that one have the ventilated sweatband like the one discussed earlier?
Not purposefully... Its more modern, end of the 1950's probably. It has two tiny pinholes(moths) at the top edge of the sweatband(crawled behind the leather at the edge). That seems to be the only place they hit and its not visible unless you turn the hat over and hold it in front of a light. Will do the same thing as the fancy vent...;) Its in the freezer now. Its too small for me.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
I'm agreeing that Scotts hat is Otter and both creatures are called Nutria in Spanish.

...and I read (in an old book, but 'where' I can't recall :( ) that Stetson's use of the word 'Nutria' was Spanish. I realize it doesn't make sense to us in 2009, but in 1900 ...

Now, given the most recent stuff you posted, it DOES sound like Stetson was using giant water rat fur in their hats, not fur from the more romantic otter, but that bit of information directly contradicts what I read.

As far as the derby in question, yes - I realize it's from a real otter. If it were my size and style, I might be all excited about the fact, but as the situation stands, it's just an interesting curiosity that I wanted to share with the forum. I was thinking about bronzing the hat, or hanging around my rear view mirror.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
feltfan said:
rlk,

Very good! I'm glad we're all still amused by this.

In a moment I'll post a pic of a new hat that actually fits me, and is made of fur that no one will dispute .... wabbit.....or 'hare'....or some of each....or a little beaver....never mind, it's probably made of giant water rat.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Stetson Mode Edge - 1950's Sovereign

I was very excited to receive this one yesterday - near-perfect wide-brim Mode Edge, but VERY dusty. Bottom photo is from ebay - it's now all cleaned-up and a light-gray with hints of blue; ribbon is very dark wine, almost black.

It appears to be early '50s - 'Mode Edge' is stamped below the logo, as opposed to being toward the back of the sweat, and the liner has the tiny 'watermark' Stetson logos all over it.

ModeEdgex2.jpg

Ebay Pic:

Stetson_ModeEdge.jpg

Bingles

A-List Customer
French Connection Hat

I am not a huge fan of the movie "The French Connection"... but I did fall in love with the hat Gene Hackman wore. My good friend, Gary White here at Buffalo's Custom Hatter has made me another version of the diamond porkpie. I have a black one I ordered last year, and love it so much I decided to get a similar style in chocolate brown. I'm so impressed with how it came out, and am so honored to have a master hatter like Gary White here in my own backyard.

100_1421.jpg

100_1422.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe